The Student Room Group

Burkini ban deemed 'illegal', ban suspended

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jeyres
The way I see it is that if a western women traveled to a eastern islamic country she would be required to wear a shawl or other covering over her head to meet the islamic law of the country even if she was a christian. So why can't western countries do the reverse and require by law that face and head covers aren't allowed? This is the problem we find ourselves in now, we have spent so long being 'soft' about these things that when goverments of CHRISTIAN countries attempt to ban muslim cloths everyone is up in arms about it. If muslim countries banned people wearing a cross there wouldn't be as big an outcry!
This isn't racist as i understand the many pros of a multi-cultral and multi-faith socity however i feel that exceptions shouldn't be made on things such as this in the intrest of good reĺations

Except the women targeted by this law so far haven't been Muslim tourists traveling to France but rather Muslim French CITIZENS! People born and raised in France who should have the right to practice their freedoms (including religious freedoms) so long as it doesn't harm anyone (ex: Burkini) just like any other French citizen does!

I can understand that when in Rome do like the Romans. But these women in burkinis are also Romans!! What exactly makes someone Roman? How do you do like a Roman? There's no single Roman, they're all different. Unless of course you think that you can only be Roman if you're white...in which case that would be blatant racism!

Sure it's desirable when traveling to take part in the local culture of the country you're visiting by perhaps dressing like them, eating their food and partaking in their culture. But we're not talking about tourists here, we're talking about French citizens who permanently reside there. Asking them to pretend they're someone else not only doesn't quiet add up but is also a breach of their fundamental human rights.

Might I add as well that most of Muslim French Citizens never chose to be there anyway. Most of them are descendants of North African Labour who have been brought by the French government from their colonies to help build post-world war France!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by candyaljamila
Unless of course you think that you can only be Roman if you're white...in which case that would be blatant racism!

Nobody brought race here but you.

Might I add as well that most of Muslim French Citizens never chose to be there anyway. Most of them are descendants of North African Labour who have been brought by the French government from their colonies to help build post-world war France!

No, the French didn't "bring" anybody. North Africans went to France because there were many more opportunities, better salaries, and much less racism there. During the colonisation, most of those who came to France were Kabyles - an ethnic minority (they look much "whiter" than Arabs). Then at the independence, some of the Arabs (named Harkis) who fought in the French army were evacuated with the other colonists. After 1962, there was a massive economic migration from Tunisia, Morocco, and Algeria until mid 1970s. Since then, most of the new arrivals have been made of the families of all of these immigrants and their descendants. There was also a small amount of refugees during the Algerian civil war in the 1990s.
Original post by Josb

I don't think I've seen you state explicitly: do you personally support the ban?
Original post by Josb
The point of the KKK costume is to conceal the face. It's like saying you can wear a burqa as long as you keep the hood down.

The recent ban was on burkinis, and burkini's don't cover the face...
I think most people can understand the burqa ban even if they don't agree with it
Plus there are hoods that don't cover the face, but are still quite clearly KKK. Legend has it that the original outfit didn't even come with a hood at all

So no, the point wasn't to conceal the face, but to show your allegiance to a "political" movement
Original post by Josb
Nobody brought race here but you.

No, the French didn't "bring" anybody. North Africans went to France because there were many more opportunities, better salaries, and much less racism there. During the colonisation, most of those who came to France were Kabyles - an ethnic minority (they look much "whiter" than Arabs). Then at the independence, some of the Arabs (named Harkis) who fought in the French army were evacuated with the other colonists. After 1962, there was a massive economic migration from Tunisia, Morocco, and Algeria until mid 1970s. Since then, most of the new arrivals have been made of the families of all of these immigrants and their descendants. There was also a small amount of refugees during the Algerian civil war in the 1990s.

Bit in bold! :laugh::nutcase:
Reply 65
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I don't think I've seen you state explicitly: do you personally support the ban?

I would have welcomed a ban but I don't think it would have been useful. Many radicals would have worn it just to make a point and the burkini would have become a symbol for them. I favour the liberal solution, which allowing any kind of clothing on the beach, including nudity. That would be a deterrent to all the burkini holders. No need for a ban.

Bit in bold! :laugh::nutcase:

The racism that existed in France in the 20th century is incomparable to what existed in Algeria. Torture was actually legal there.
Reply 66
Original post by Josb
I would have welcomed a ban but I don't think it would have been useful

Then why would you have welcomed it? :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobML

Posted from TSR Mobile

because he hates Islam and/or Muslims
Reply 68
Original post by RobML

Posted from TSR Mobile

It would still have been a good message.

Original post by alevelstresss
because he hates Islam and/or Muslims

I despise Islam, yes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending