The Student Room Group

Why do people oppose the Northern Powerhouse?

does it make sense to oppose development?

Scroll to see replies

Why who opposes it?
Reply 2
plenty of economists, the Labour party/Corbyn, many people do.
Original post by kimkarsd
plenty of economists, the Labour party/Corbyn, many people do.

Source?
Reply 4
Quite a few people like Theresa May feel that it is too focused on Manchester. Leeds and Liverpool and will not substantially benefit places like Rotherham or Oldham.

Corbyn and co don't like it because of why Osbourne came up with the idea.. if these places start to associate becoming prosperous with having a Tory government then it weakens the Labour position. It also gives local politicians more power which is bad for the party if these people go in a direction he does not like.

Personally i think that agglomeration economics is the way to go in the global world and i live in West Yorkshire and am a Tory.. needless to say, it has my full support.
Original post by Rakas21
Quite a few people like Theresa May feel that it is too focused on Manchester. Leeds and Liverpool and will not substantially benefit places like Rotherham or Oldham.

Corbyn and co don't like it because of why Osbourne came up with the idea.. if these places start to associate becoming prosperous with having a Tory government then it weakens the Labour position. It also gives local politicians more power which is bad for the party if these people go in a direction he does not like.

Personally i think that agglomeration economics is the way to go in the global world and i live in West Yorkshire and am a Tory.. needless to say, it has my full support.

I support the idea but still doubt the sincerity of it, Gideon lost a lot of credibility IMO when he tried to pull the plug on electrifying the Transpennine rail links and only changed his mind when there was uproar.

Forgetting Corbyn and co the Labour politicians in Manchester seem to be on board, although there's some skepticism about devolution being used to pass the buck for govt cutbacks.
Original post by Rakas21

Osborne's Northern Powerhouse was simply giving labour councils and mayors more powers while at the same time reducing their funding so that people would blame Labour not Tories for any problems. Its exactly what the Tories do with the NHS in Wales. Allow Labour to run it but reduce funding for them to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If this decades old myth actually gets off the drawing board my cynicism will reduce massively.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37116050
Original post by Bornblue
Osborne's Northern Powerhouse was simply giving labour councils and mayors more powers while at the same time reducing their funding so that people would blame Labour not Tories for any problems. Its exactly what the Tories do with the NHS in Wales. Allow Labour to run it but reduce funding for them to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True - despite the fact that a few years ago, the people of Manchester declined the possibility of a mayor in a referendum in 2012, yet here we are, about to get a mayor.

The Northern Powerhouse is simply a strap line. Nothing will come of it. Nothing ever does. The government are firmly seated in London. London is where the investment always goes. London is where the economy of the UK is based.

Manchester and Leeds are becoming prosperous despite government, not because of it.
Although the practice goes against my principles, the North would probably be better off getting full fiscal autonomy and then becoming a tax-haven to swipe bussiness from London.
The northern power house is basically "make manchester a bit bigger and make it quicker to get to leeds".

Manchester is only just in the north. There's a good three hours drive worth of north before you hit scotland which seems to be completly ignored by the northern powerhouse. The northeast, cumbria and large parts of lancashire are not going to benefit from it too much.
Original post by blue n white army
The northern power house is basically "make manchester a bit bigger and make it quicker to get to leeds".

Manchester is only just in the north. There's a good three hours drive worth of north before you hit scotland which seems to be completly ignored by the northern powerhouse. The northeast, cumbria and large parts of lancashire are not going to benefit from it too much.

To be fair under the last government the north started at the Watford Gap. I'm just pleased the border got as far as me under Osbourne.
Original post by Rakas21
To be fair under the last government the north started at the Watford Gap. I'm just pleased the border got as far as me under Osbourne.

What's your opinion on devolved regions generally? How much power should a local authority have?
What's your opinion on devolved regions generally? How much power should a local authority have?

For the country at large i'd probably take power away from local authorities over anything policy related as opposed to tax and spend.

For London, the counties containing the core 8 and Hampshire i'd create county authorities where they don't already exist and devolve significant power over tax and spend. I'd be tempted to go as a far as replacing the block grant and business rates with the power to raise and lower corporation and income tax albeit i'd have to think about that some more to prevent people and businesses essentially registering as postboxes.
It seemed to be largely empty puff. There has been attempts or talk about rejuvenating northern towns/cities for at least 30 years with very little success in that it barely touches the most deprived areas/people.
Original post by Rakas21
For the country at large i'd probably take power away from local authorities over anything policy related as opposed to tax and spend.

For London, the counties containing the core 8 and Hampshire i'd create county authorities where they don't already exist and devolve significant power over tax and spend. I'd be tempted to go as a far as replacing the block grant and business rates with the power to raise and lower corporation and income tax albeit i'd have to think about that some more to prevent people and businesses essentially registering as postboxes.

This surprises me a little as I had you down as a sceptic of overly centralised, powerful governments and would be in favour of giving local areas more control. Like a version of the US or German federal system.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This surprises me a little as I had you down as a sceptic of overly centralised, powerful governments and would be in favour of giving local areas more control. Like a version of the US or German federal system.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm highly skeptical of government when it comes to the economy however having seen what happened in Scotland i now have no doubt that we must be culturally as one. Allowing places or regions to be legally distinct creates cultural distinction, this weakens the union between us.

Power must be maintained at all costs.
Original post by Rakas21
I'm highly skeptical of government when it comes to the economy however having seen what happened in Scotland i now have no doubt that we must be culturally as one. Allowing places or regions to be legally distinct creates cultural distinction, this weakens the union between us.

It's worked in other places though. America is very patriotic for example despite federalism.

I'm not convinced that Scotland isn't the exception to the rule, as opposed to the rule itself.
It's worked in other places though. America is very patriotic for example despite federalism.

I'm not convinced that Scotland isn't the exception to the rule, as opposed to the rule itself.

Need i remind you that the US as a single entity is ~160 years old and until 1991 were united against a single enemy.

I hope so but i'd rather quell such potential.
Reply 19
Original post by Rakas21

Scotland has been legally distinct since 1707.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending