The Student Room Group

Why do Northern universities have more northerners and vice versa for southern?

What causes this phenomena? I always assumed everyone just goes everywhere for university and it was all mixed up however it has come to my attention that Universities in the north normally have a higher percentage of northerners and universities in the south have a higher percentage of southerners/lower percentage of northerners. Anyone have any thoughts on this observation?
People don't like moving far away from their support networks? Not really a surprising concept.
Probably a lot of it comes down to just being close to home, not everyone wants to be the other side of the country.
I also reckon some of it comes from the stigma behind southerners have on northerners and vice versa. Like how in wales you will find more Welsh students as a percentage than in England when fees are very similar. People are often raised with pro conceptions of what others are like and the classism in uk is still very much alive. Being at a southern uni and from the south even I gawk at some of the things I hear said to some of the northern people here whether it comes from a place of malice or just pure ignorance (obviously sometimes it’s a genuine joke)- probably a bit of both but it’s not uncommon
Reply 3
Original post by Bo77 Tman
What causes this phenomena? I always assumed everyone just goes everywhere for university and it was all mixed up however it has come to my attention that Universities in the north normally have a higher percentage of northerners and universities in the south have a higher percentage of southerners/lower percentage of northerners. Anyone have any thoughts on this observation?
You know all this talk on the news about levelling up? It is real. The north really is the poor relation of the south. Where as the south has been enjoying all manner of investment from the government both in schools, infrastructure and training, the north hasn't. As a result there are a lot of people from the north who come from families which genuinely can only just make ends meet and to that end the only choices they have for universities is the one in their home town.

How the other half live eh? Welcome to the real world!
Reply 4
Original post by hotpud
You know all this talk on the news about levelling up? It is real. The north really is the poor relation of the south. Where as the south has been enjoying all manner of investment from the government both in schools, infrastructure and training, the north hasn't. As a result there are a lot of people from the north who come from families which genuinely can only just make ends meet and to that end the only choices they have for universities is the one in their home town.
How the other half live eh? Welcome to the real world!
Couple of things: The government last year announced a massive investment package into the north east, much bigger than any government previously and has already been welcomed by a lot of Northern MP’s and mayors. Further to this, this year they have scrapped parts of HS2 (which was well over budget) and with those savings are now funding transport projects in the north such as the Trans Pennine express for example and other major station upgrades. The government is also planning on devolution deals for parts of the north allowing for more targeted and relevant funding.

2nd thing: I am from one of the poorest and most run down parts of the country in a South London suburb, I have gone to a university way in the north and it has massively benefited by financial situation because of the massive increase in maintenance loan I have received due to my situation. Staying home would have been impossible as the financial burden on my already struggling family would’ve been higher and I would’ve probably also struggled to pay for my accommodation if I moved out (to free my family). So in a sense, moving away from home makes it easier on your family and yourself, and allows you to get a job since you don’t need to travel home after uni every day. Thank you for your reply anyway, I just wanted to set things straight because it seems like you think I’m some stuck up rich kid from London taking the p*ss out of poor northerners. That couldn’t be further from the truth.
Reply 5
Couple of things: The government last year announced a massive investment package into the north east, much bigger than any government previously and has already been welcomed by a lot of Northern MP’s and mayors. Further to this, this year they have scrapped parts of HS2 (which was well over budget) and with those savings are now funding transport projects in the north such as the Trans Pennine express for example and other major station upgrades. The government is also planning on devolution deals for parts of the north allowing for more targeted and relevant funding.
2nd thing: I am from one of the poorest and most run down parts of the country in a South London suburb, I have gone to a university way in the north and it has massively benefited by financial situation because of the massive increase in maintenance loan I have received due to my situation. Staying home would have been impossible as the financial burden on my already struggling family would’ve been higher and I would’ve probably also struggled to pay for my accommodation if I moved out (to free my family). So in a sense, moving away from home makes it easier on your family and yourself, and allows you to get a job since you don’t need to travel home after uni every day. Thank you for your reply anyway, I just wanted to set things straight because it seems like you think I’m some stuck up rich kid from London taking the p*ss out of poor northerners. That couldn’t be further from the truth.
All I can say is good for you. Well done.

But the reality for many of the people of the north is they don't have that choice. Living elsewhere simply is not feasible. As for levelling up - what levelling up? The government have promised money but none have actually been spent. I still use trains that were common sights in the 1980s. I don't think trains in London are much older than 10 years old mainly because we get the cast offs from the south if we are lucky!

I appreciate that there are poorer areas of the south but I think the thing you don't appreciate is just how much of the north and the Midlands are in poverty. The North East is on another scale altogether and is generally completely forgotten by Whitehall.
Reply 6

As a northerner, I choose a northern university because I am aware of the bigotry held by people from the south towards northerners. Also, the southerners I have met in the north come across as incredibly puerile as well.
In addition, I’m hopefully going to do my postgraduate study at The University of Munich later.
Reply 7
Well the northerners I have met in the north tend to be quite stinky so I think I will now move back down south next year for my masters year.

Case in point
More great smell-related content from the author of 'Stinkiest University town/city, and also campus?'.
Reply 9
Southerner to the northerner, here’s £5 go buy yourself a house.
Northerner to the southerner, you keep it mate, go buy yourself a brick, and put it towards the Southern Water sewage system 👃
(edited 5 days ago)
If you live in the north, there tends to be an ideal university for you either in the north or Midlands. Same principle if you live in the south.
(edited 5 days ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending