The Student Room Group

Rearrange 5y-3x-4=0 to get y=mx+c? Help please

How do you do it? I can do it normally, just I cannot rearrange it with the 0.

Can someone also explain to me what the 0 does please, and if it means anything?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

take -3x and -4 to the right side with the change of signs and divide all by 5.
0 makes it an equation that you can solve for y etc.
Y = 3/5x +20
Reply 4
Original post by vector12
How do you do it? I can do it normally, just I cannot rearrange it with the 0.

Can someone also explain to me what the 0 does please, and if it means anything?

Thanks!

if you can't do this question and you want to actually learn how to do it, instead of just getting your homework completed. Watch this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=827&v=BekcPu_3Bqw
5y-3x-4=0 to make y=mx+C you have to identify what mx and c is

m is -3x and c is -4

so you have to make 5y the subject

move the -3x to the right side by adding both sides by 3x

so its 5y-4=3x

then move -4 to the other side so 5y=3x+4

then divide by 5 to make 5y, y so then its y=3/5x+4/5
Reply 6
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Y = 3/5x +20

good try
5y - 3x - 4 = 0
5y-3x = 4
5y = 3x + 4
y = 3x/5 + 4/5
ta-daa! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by zainyyyyy

m is -3x and c is -4

so its 5y-4=3x

Thanks. SO when you initally move the -3x to the right side, the 0 then disappears from the equation?
Ok we can do this step by step:

5y-3x-4=0
(+4) 5y-3x=4 (+4)
(+3x) 5y=3x+4 (+3x)
(/5) y= (3/5)x + 4/5 (/5)

So:

y = (3/5)x +4/5
Y = 3/5x +20

m is -3x and c is -4

so its 5y-4=3x

Original post by clarkey500
Ok we can do this step by step:5y-3x-4=0(+4) 5y-3x=4 (+4)(+3x) 5y=3x+4 (+3x)(/5) y= (3/5)x + 4/5 (/5)So:y = (3/5)x +4/5
Original post by Treblebee
5y - 3x - 4 = 05y-3x = 45y = 3x + 4y = 3x/5 + 4/5ta-daa! :smile:

Don't post full solutions. That's of no use if OP doesn't learn through their own thinking and practice.
Reply 11
Original post by Naruke
if you can't do this question and you want to actually learn how to do it, instead of just getting your homework completed. Watch this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=827&v=BekcPu_3Bqw

It's not homework. I am just re-going over some old topics just to recap in my free time, and am looking for the solution so that I can see what happens to the 0.
Original post by Naruke
good try

I dropped maths at AS I don't know the ins and outs of algebra anymore bruh
Reply 13
Original post by clarkey500
Ok we can do this step by step:

5y-3x-4=0
(+4) 5y-3x=4 (+4)
(+3x) 5y=3x+4 (+3x)
(/5) y= (3/5)x + 4/5 (/5)

So:

y = (3/5)x +4/5

Thank you. I wasn't sure what happened to the 0, but it seems that once you move the -4 to the other side and it becomes +4 to cancel it out, that then makes the 0 disappear from the equation and gets rid of it?

So basically, the 0 is gotten rid of once you move one of the subjects to the right side of the equation, and it is just a placeholder after the = sign?
Original post by RDKGames
Don't post full solutions. That's of no use if OP doesn't learn through their own thinking and practice.

Yes sir :h:

My apologies! I guess I just thought that OP has probably spent some time working on it, and couldn't manage it alone. Sry, anyway... I'll hint, next time :wink:
Reply 16
I dropped maths at AS I don't know the ins and outs of algebra anymore bruh

this is gcse maybe even KS3
Original post by vector12
Thanks. SO when you initally move the -3x to the right side, the 0 then disappears from the equation?

yeah, 0+3x=3x

although i agree with you to an extent, but this time last year i was also going on the internet to do this and as there was no solutions i just copied the answer. but as i wrote the explanation hopefully it'll help him
although i agree with you to an extent, but this time last year i was also going on the internet to do this and as there was no solutions i just copied the answer. but as i wrote the explanation hopefully it'll help him

Whether you agree with me or not is irrelevant. Posting full solutions on this forum is against its rules. Just hint the OP in the right direction next time.

Quick Reply

Latest