The Student Room Group

Should I quit university?

I have just begun a MA in Germany at a top university after having saved for ages to come here. Thing is, i think i hate it. I know i've just started, and i love the city/made friends but after finishing my BA yers ago at a pretty acedemically "bad" university i really dont think im smart enough for this course.
Everyone else gets on fine, but im not sure if ill be able to finish with a good grade. I know its still early etc. But i did this course as i wasnt able to find a profossional job after my BA so decided to do a MA.

Now, i wont just quit with nothing else lined up but should i start applying for jobs and quit/see if i can defer if i manage to get an offer. I understand its unlikely i get an offer but i just dont want to fail my MA and hate my time here becuase im already starting to dread classes!

I do have some professional experience, and most employers ive been interviewed by dont seem to care about my degree. I just messed up a few interviews so didnt get an offer.

Bascially, is it a good idea to start applying now for jobs and if i get an offer, defer/quit my MA? Or just wait until im done and hopefully ill start enjoying my course?
Reply 1
Original post by small.littlefish
I have just begun a MA in Germany at a top university after having saved for ages to come here. Thing is, i think i hate it. I know i've just started, and i love the city/made friends but after finishing my BA yers ago at a pretty acedemically "bad" university i really dont think im smart enough for this course.
Everyone else gets on fine, but im not sure if ill be able to finish with a good grade. I know its still early etc. But i did this course as i wasnt able to find a profossional job after my BA so decided to do a MA.

Now, i wont just quit with nothing else lined up but should i start applying for jobs and quit/see if i can defer if i manage to get an offer. I understand its unlikely i get an offer but i just dont want to fail my MA and hate my time here becuase im already starting to dread classes!

I do have some professional experience, and most employers ive been interviewed by dont seem to care about my degree. I just messed up a few interviews so didnt get an offer.

Bascially, is it a good idea to start applying now for jobs and if i get an offer, defer/quit my MA? Or just wait until im done and hopefully ill start enjoying my course?

No harm in looking for a job. If you find something you like it might be better than just sticking to something you hate because you messed up a few interviews. And even if you don't find anything, oh can stick with the course, work hard and make some contacts through uni xx
Original post by Lissy14
No harm in looking for a job. If you find something you like it might be better than just sticking to something you hate because you messed up a few interviews. And even if you don't find anything, oh can stick with the course, work hard and make some contacts through uni xx

Thanks for the reply. On my cv should i even mention im doing an MA or should i just put volunteer work im doing in germany? Will it look bad that im planning to quit my MA for a job?

Sorry, i just have so many questions and cant ask anyone here!
Original post by roryflyn
hi

Hi
Reply 4
Thanks for the reply. On my cv should i even mention im doing an MA or should i just put volunteer work im doing in germany? Will it look bad that im planning to quit my MA for a job?

Sorry, i just have so many questions and cant ask anyone here!

Yeah maybe not mention the MA... Volunteer work is good :smile:
Original post by Lissy14
Yeah maybe not mention the MA... Volunteer work is good :smile:

Thanks for the advice :smile:
Which course and which jobs?

My immediate response is that you are sufficiently intelligent if you've been accepted onto the course. Double the amount of hours you spend each night and see if your self-evaluation approves. Keep doubling until you're confident. "Intelligence" boils down to how much time you spend doing intellectual things, i.e. developing your brain and absorbing knowledge. Remember you're also experiencing three changes: the jump from BA to MA; the jump from low-ranked to high-ranked institution; and the difference in UK and German academia. Give yourself time to settle in and adapt your work ethic accordingly.

The above is all conditional on the fact that you have a genuine interest in the course and that it's related to your future career.
Original post by macromicro
Which course and which jobs?

My immediate response is that you are sufficiently intelligent if you've been accepted onto the course. Double the amount of hours you spend each night and see if your self-evaluation approves. Keep doubling until you're confident. "Intelligence" boils down to how much time you spend doing intellectual things, i.e. developing your brain and absorbing knowledge. Remember you're also experiencing three changes: the jump from BA to MA; the jump from low-ranked to high-ranked institution; and the difference in UK and German academia. Give yourself time to settle in and adapt your work ethic accordingly.

The above is all conditional on the fact that you have a genuine interest in the course and that it's related to your future career.

Im doing international relations and the jobs id be looking for are these types of jobs:

http://www.indeed.co.uk/m/viewjob?jk=459b3be66a255327&from=serp

http://www.indeed.co.uk/m/viewjob?jk=4f57b0cbcb85ed46&from=serp

Thanks for your reply. I dont want to do anything too hastly, and i do find my MA interesting its just all so overwelming and i dont deal very well with imense stress, every other educational class ive been in ( uni/college) i felt was hard but i knew i could do it, and i was on the same level as the other students.

Im 26 so also just feel too old to be a poor student again, i just want to have a decent job, and a decent wage etc.

Its kind of hard to say if its related to my future career. Im not too sure what i want to do, ive only worked breifly for charities/research internship before, which i quite enjoyed and was told im good at.

But i think work experince is more important, as most job discriptions wants 1-2 years of experience, whereas only a few want an MA. But the young people i know with jobs in oxfam/red cross have masters.

Sorry about the long winded reply!
(edited 7 years ago)
Bump.
Reply 9
Don't lie about it on your CV. If you claim to have been doing voluntary work for that length of time, some employers might ask why you don't have a reference as a result. It's OK to make a positive decision that some life paths aren't for you. It shows maturity and decisiveness that you have recognised this and made positive steps to move forward.
Original post by Klix88
Don't lie about it on your CV. If you claim to have been doing voluntary work for that length of time, some employers might ask why you don't have a reference as a result. It's OK to make a positive decision that some life paths aren't for you. It shows maturity and decisiveness that you have recognised this and made positive steps to move forward.

I will start voluntary work in germany, i wont lie i just mean i started my programme like 2 weeks ago, so im not sure if i should put on my cv im here for studying my ma or just put my voluntary work on there.
Thanks for all your advice!

Don't quit! You might just have to work harder than others in the class but you want to get a good job in life so it is going to mean working hard regardless! Be ruthless with your time and I am sure you will be able to do well.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending