The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thanks. Do you have any other useful advice that I should take on board?
Reply 21
Update 16/09/16:

English (OSO): We've finished doing War Photographer by Carol Ann Duffy and we're now doing The Charge of the Light Brigade by Alfred Lord Tennyson and speaking of poems, I need to finish preparing a PowerPoint for Remains by Simon Armitage which I'll have to teach to the class and the group I'm in have very lazy people so I have to do pretty much most of the work ffs.

French (SDA): We're in the process of preparing for our controlled assessment for speaking by preparing answers for the questions. I've also forgotten to take my book today so I can learn the answers to the questions so I'll have to get it on Monday. Opps :P

History (MPO): We're focusing on both Martin Luther King and Malcolm X in the Civil Rights Movement and are looking at who was significant in the movement and why.

Maths (KWA): We've finished Straight Line (Linear) Graphs and are now doing Parallel Lines which does link in with the previous topic.

Chemistry (DLA): We're recapping parts of C2 and are finishing C2 off.

Physics (PPA): Like last week, the lesson was horrible. We're doing bloody Distance Time Graphs and Velocity Time Graphs and he's very vague when explaining the common mistakes made by students. Will moan to DLA (Chemistry teacher/mentor) on Monday.

Other News:
For those know me from the MHoC, I have resigned with immediate effect from TSR Labour MP as MP and have left the party as for one I don't have time to commit to the MHoC and two I feel very uncomfortable in the MHoC even though I'm new and feel someone can do the job much better than I can. I know this is a shock for some but I genuinely believe it's right for me to step aside and must say that this decision has not been taken lightly.

Next main update is Monday and until then, thank you for taking your time for reading this rather long update and enjoy your day. :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 22
Update 19/09/16:

Before I explain what the day was like, this week's quote of the week is "Wake up with determination and go to bed with satisfaction."

Today, I was told in assembly that we're starting ESS (Extended Study Sessions) after school and that we're getting a timetable as of tomorrow. Also in terms of sixth forms, I've got a response from one regarding the booking form and they've said that it isn't opened yet so I'll keep my eyes out for that.

Maths (KWA): We're looking at perpendicular lines now which links with straight line graphs and parallel lines and also did a mini test based on what we've learnt so far, I found it easy.

Biology (TBA): We're looking at Active Transport and as per usual going very slow but vaguely oddly ... Still not as bad as Physics (PPA) on a Friday.

Computing (ESO): We've been told that we have to finish everything by Friday code-wise and I'm screwed. I also have Computing ESS on a Friday so I have to get that done asap and manage my temper after flipping Physics (PPA) :frown: .

Next main update is Friday and until then, thank you for taking your time for reading this rather short update and enjoy your day. :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 23
Update 24/09/16:

It happens to be one of my friend's birthday today (from Primary) and it's also a late update if you've notice. Anyways, this week has been quite hectic if I'm being honest as I'm still struggling to live up to the standard of Year 11 life and those in Year 10 and below, I'm telling you life isn't easy in Year 11.

French (SDA): We're still learning our paragraphs for the Speaking CA due soon and are preparing answers to possible questions that could be asked.
History (MPO): We're still learning about the US Civil Rights and are getting ready for our CA which will take place soon.

English (OSO): We're currently behind schedule to finish the poems in the Power and Conflict cluster as planned and I'll be teaching Remains by Simon Armitage on Tuesday.

Computing (ESO): ESS wasn't too bad although due to communications error there was only two people who turned up as ESO was on duty oddly as an SLT but technically on paper, Computing ESS wasn't on there so those who didn't turn up left. Regardless, I've managed to get something done with a bit of help from ESO but I'm still nowhere near finish for Task 3 of my A453 and I need to sort out Task 2.

Chemistry (DLA): We're finishing out parts in C2 and doing some gap analysis.

Physics (PPA): Sir wasn't in and annoyingly he made us do two test, one for Physics P1 and Physics P2 and without revising I felt I did really badly. Not to say DLA (my main Science teacher) is bad at teaching Physics before PPA took over but I'm quite rusty following the Summer Break, hope he doesn't moan at us or blame DLA for being a bad teacher, he isn't bad!

Maths (KWA): We're doing Quadratic Graphs now and in terms of H/W he moaned at half of the class for what he describes as "sloppy, poorly done homework" of which I was one of them but oddly managed to dodge a detention. He still expects it to be done of which I'll get it sorted for him on Monday, I don't see anything wrong except missing a few Qs as I didn't understand. So damn strict.

Other News:
I'll be attending a sixth form open evening next week Wednesday to have a look at the school and of course ask questions about the courses they offer and the department facilities they have before making my mind on whether to apply, the likelihood is that I will definitely apply.

Also today, I'll be keeping a close eye on the Labour Leadership election and if Owen Smith does win, I'll be surprised as there's a lot of Corbyn supporters who'll help Corbyn to win despite 2/3 of the shadow cabinet resigning when Corbyn sacked Hiliary Benn as Shadow Foreign Secretary.

Next main update is Monday and until then, thank you for taking your time for reading this rather long update and enjoy your day. :biggrin:
Reply 24
Update 26/07/16:
First of all, I would like to say that I was rather horrified by Jeremy Corbyn's re-election as Labour leader having managed to increase his mandate to 62% of the vote as I feel that he's incapable of reuniting the party ever since he has sacked Hilary Benn as Shadow Foreign Secretary and with 2/3 of his shadow cabinet resigning he has a lot to deliver let alone having a chance to win the 2020 General Election with the new boundary changes in place, I feel that he has no chance and that he should start a cabinet reshuffle again to heal this division in the party. If I was Corbyn, I would sack John McDonnell as for one he's a terrible shadow chancellor IMO and also he's the key person who had abused non-Corbyn supporting MPs such as Lisa Nandy and many others. This is unacceptable and whilst Labour has it's on problems, the Tories and getting stronger and stronger if we don't have an effective opposition.

Anyways, aside from my political rant things was good on the football side of things if you are a Liverpool fan like me, we trash Hull 5-1 with an excellent squad thanks to Jurgen Klopp, we need more of this world-class performances whether we play against a strong opposition or not.

This week's quote of the week is "The future belongs to the competent. Get good, get better and be the best!".

Maths (KWA): We're doing Quadratic and Cubic Graphs atm and things are going alright.

Biology (TBA): We're looking at the circulatory system more specifically the Heart right now I think and we had a decent lesson.

Computing (ESO): Unfortunately not much progress as I got a headache so I was unable to do much and sadly the deadline to complete all codes or the tasks is this Friday. :frown:

Also, French ESS was cancelled and there was no reason - I assume a staff meeting or something.

Other News:
I'll be attending a sixth form open evening this Wednesday to have a look at the school and of course ask questions about the courses they offer and the department facilities they have before making my mind on whether to apply, the likelihood is that I will definitely apply.

Next main update is Friday and until then, thank you for taking your time for reading this rather short update and enjoy your day. :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25
Update 30/09/16:
This week has been very chaotic as I have to manage the deadlines for various CAs and to be honest, it isn't easy as I have a lot of stuff to sort out but I guess it my life would be easier once all of the CAs are out of the way.

English (OSO): We've finished Remains by Simon Armitage and have started Poppies by Jane Weir which has got off to a bad start thanks to the group presenting it being absolutely hopeless and I mean absolutely hopeless.

French (SDA): I have got all my 6 paragraphs for the questions marked and just need to learn the paragraphs for my speaking CA.

History (MPO): We're in the final stages of planning for the CA on USA Civil Rights and I have taken my stuff home to sort out last bits of planning.

Computing (ESO): Not much progress with Task 3 although nearing completion for the task. I need to do Task 2 as well and get everything sorted so I'm a bit screwed.

Chemistry (DLA): Sir was absent of which I don't know why and I missed most of the lesson as I had a 20 minutes discussion with the school's career adviser.

Physics (PPA): By far the worst lesson of the week! We were made to finish P1 and P2 papers which we never revised for so I know I did **** and his marking for classwork is a bit like KWA (Maths teacher) marking my Maths homework. We're doing moments now for now reason and yet again he doesn't have a lesson plan which is worrying me.

Other News:
I'll be attending a sixth form open evening next Wednesday to have a look at the school and of course ask questions about the courses they offer and the department facilities they have before making my mind on whether to apply, the likelihood is that I will definitely apply.

Next main update is Monday and until then, thank you for taking your time for reading this rather short update and enjoy your day. :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 26
Update 04/10/16:
Sorry for the late update, I've been busy again with CA deadlines. :/ This week's quote(s) of the week are:
Your mind is a powerful thing. When you fill it with positive thoughts, your life will start to change.
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. Winston Churchill
Look, I am very competitive. Tony Blair

Maths (KWA): We're doing Completing the Square now which is relatively straightforward once you understand it properly.

Biology (TBA): We're doing The Breathing System IRRC in Biology B3.

Computing (ESO): Not much progress with the deadline being this week. I'm yet to get the evidence for Task 1 typed up before continuing with Tasks 2 and 3.

English (OSO): I'll have to revise Poppies by Jane Weir on my own as my English teacher decided to move on to the next poem where another group are teaching, The Émigree by Carol Rumens.

French (SDA): We're still learning our paragraphs in preparation for the Speaking CA.

History (MPO): I've finished planning for the CA and we'll start our 8 hrs on Friday in the Sixth Form computing suite which is I think brand new.

Other News:
I'll be attending a sixth form open evening next tomorrow to have a look at the school and of course ask questions about the courses they offer and the department facilities they have before making my mind on whether to apply, the likelihood is that I will definitely apply.

Reply 27
Update 07/10/16:
This week hasn't been the easiest with CA deadlines which are annoying as I'm already struggling to cope with the additional workload and at times the struggle can be felt emotionally but I guess I get through this by self-motivating myself and working my socks off. I also had two sixth form open evenings and I'll explain more later in this update.

Computing (ESO): It's been very frustrating this week, I still haven't finished Task 3 for my A453 and he was meant to be giving me some guidance i.e. advice on possible steps but he hasn't done so. Also, Computing ESS was cancelled so I guess I'll have to try finish this to a high standard.

English (OSO): I had to rush the homework, hence it was half completed but she left everybody off. Also, we're doing Extract from The Prelude William Wordsworth which I find quite hard.

French (SDA): I now know my 6 paragraphs and I'm just learning them over and over again in preparation for the Speaking CA.

Chemistry (DLA): We're doing rates of chemical reactions now in C2 of which we're finishing off before doing C3.

Maths (KWA): We're doing quite a lot of stuff atm from Completing the Square to factorising hard equations IRRC.

History (MPO): We've started our History CA and used the sixth form IT suite which was nothing impressive as it was actually a crap, cramp facility. Thanks school :/

Physics (PPA): We didn't do much except looking at centre of mass and it was a really boring and rushed lesson. Horrible as he had some visitors as well. hope they could tell that the lesson was boring and rushed as ****.

Other News:
I didn't enjoy the sixth form open evening at my school because (i) they offered very little in the curriculum (ii) subjects like English was a waste of time to explore as they didn't go into detail about spec and sample of the work wasn't shown (iii) the sixth form area which has been extended recently isn't impressive and they did a shoddy job. At my preferred sixth form, I was greeted well by the students and staff and had a detailed talk with respective students and teachers from subjects like Maths and they were very friendly and approachable. Also, there's a sense of the positive vibe which my school really lacks and the school is really good. In addition to that, they're building a new campus a bit down from the school and I guess they're going to move into the new building from what I've heard and apparently it would move air quality standards - very interesting. Atm, I'm still confused about my options and will take time to consider about it.

Next main update is Monday and until then, thank you for taking your time for reading this update and enjoy your day. :biggrin:
Reply 28
Update 10/10/16:
Life has been very miserable if I'm being totally honest, Year 11 life has quite hectic and very stressful and I'm struggling to cope. I have parent's evening on the 16th November which is annoying as my mocks are on W/B 21st November so if they're gonna say anything to me grade wise, I'm screwed.

This week's quote of the week is:
Success is about having a cool, positive mindset to go through failure without the loss of courage and having the dedication and the right attitude to achieve your goals. - @CoffeeAndPolitics

Maths (KWA): We've finishing off on Factorising and Completing the Square.

Biology (TBA): According to the specification, we're not moving very fast at all which is good in some aspects as at least we can cover gaps in what we've done so far and ensure we understand the new content being taught. We're doing B3.1.1 and B3.1.2 where we've looked at dissolved substances and gaseous exchange.

Computing (ESO): A453 deadline is this Wednesday which is not music to my ears and A452 is due next week Wednesday which is outrageous.

Other News:
My first round of mock exams are due W/B 21st November 2016 and I hope to do well in them.

Next main update is Friday and until then, thank you for taking your time for reading this update and enjoy your day. :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Update 10/10/16:
Life has been very miserable if I'm being totally honest, Year 11 life has quite hectic and very stressful and I'm struggling to cope. I have parent's evening on the 16th November which is annoying as my mocks are on W/B 21st November so if they're gonna say anything to me grade wise, I'm screwed.

This week's quote of the week is:
Success is about having a cool, positive mindset to go through failure without the loss of courage and having the dedication and the right attitude to achieve your goals. - @CoffeeAndPolitics

Maths (KWA): We've finishing off on Factorising and Completing the Square.

Biology (TBA): According to the specification, we're not moving very fast at all which is good in some aspects as at least we can cover gaps in what we've done so far and ensure we understand the new content being taught. We're doing B3.1.1 and B3.1.2 where we've looked at dissolved substances and gaseous exchange.

Computing (ESO): A453 deadline is this Wednesday which is not music to my ears and A452 is due next week Wednesday which is outrageous.

Other News:
My first round of mock exams are due W/B 21st November 2016 and I hope to do well in them.

Next main update is Friday and until then, thank you for taking your time for reading this update and enjoy your day. :biggrin:

Hi I've got my mocks on the 14th and was just wondering if you had started revising your notes yet?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by samaad1
Hi I've got my mocks on the 14th and was just wondering if you had started revising your notes yet?

Not yet, I wish I have but I'm struggling to cope with managing my time.
Not yet, I wish I have but I'm struggling to cope with managing my time.

Same! i feel like they expect us to do all the revision whilst still doing all the homework and controlled assessments it's just not possible
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by samaad1
Same! i feel like they expect us to do all the revision whilst still doing all the homework and controlled assessments it's just not possible

Totally agree with this! How are we meant to revise when we're still getting unpredictable amounts of homework and have coursework deadlines to deal with? We're not even doing all oir subjects in our mocks so it won't even be that in the weeks running up to it we only have revision and coursework to juggle :frown: yay we're mock buddies :biggrin: same week (well I'm assuming so based on previous years but our school hasn't told us yet).
Have you been told when your next round of mocks will be after this round? Would be cool if they're the same week again
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 33
Update 14/10/16:

English (OSO): We're doing Tissues by Imtiaz Dharker and we have a mock exam on poetry next Wednesday eeek.

French (SDA): I think we've nearing completion preparation for the CA as I've learnt my 6 paragraphs and got my answers to the 3 surprise questions (one of them will be picked at random) prepared. I'm not 100% sure when the formal 6 hrs will start.

History (MPO): I'm on about 700/2000 words for my History CA which is a bit slow but Ms will make the existing work to allow us to improve it.

Computing (ESO): The deadline for A453 was meant to be Wednesday but he wasn't in and I had ESS today but we was hopeless and told me to leave by around 16:15 ish as he had a meeting. I'm going to try and get that done over the weekend.

Chemistry (DLA): We're still finishing off C2 and I got 5/6 on what was apparently a very tough exam question on rates of chemical reactions which I'm proud of and I hope I can do ESS with him, I'd benefit from it vastly.

Physics (PPA): Disaster, we have more visitors and yet the lesson is so dull. He has made a bloody slide for once but his teaching style is horrendous, doesn't help at all.

Other News:
Rumoured Maths mock exam - Monday
To hand in my A453 CA asap else ESO will kill me.
(Confirmed) English poetry mock exam - Wednesday (Hall)
Mock exams start W/B 21st November

It's going to be a very busy weekend as I have a lot to sort out, I need to get my A453 CA completed asap during this weekend as well as manage revision/homework which is hectic if you're in Year 11. Guess I should wish myself good luck in that.
Update 14/10/16:

English (OSO): We're doing Tissues by Imtiaz Dharker and we have a mock exam on poetry next Wednesday eeek.

French (SDA): I think we've nearing completion preparation for the CA as I've learnt my 6 paragraphs and got my answers to the 3 surprise questions (one of them will be picked at random) prepared. I'm not 100% sure when the formal 6 hrs will start.

History (MPO): I'm on about 700/2000 words for my History CA which is a bit slow but Ms will make the existing work to allow us to improve it.

Computing (ESO): The deadline for A453 was meant to be Wednesday but he wasn't in and I had ESS today but we was hopeless and told me to leave by around 16:15 ish as he had a meeting. I'm going to try and get that done over the weekend.

Chemistry (DLA): We're still finishing off C2 and I got 5/6 on what was apparently a very tough exam question on rates of chemical reactions which I'm proud of and I hope I can do ESS with him, I'd benefit from it vastly.

Physics (PPA): Disaster, we have more visitors and yet the lesson is so dull. He has made a bloody slide for once but his teaching style is horrendous, doesn't help at all.

Other News:
Rumoured Maths mock exam - Monday
To hand in my A453 CA asap else ESO will kill me.
(Confirmed) English poetry mock exam - Wednesday (Hall)
Mock exams start W/B 21st November

It's going to be a very busy weekend as I have a lot to sort out, I need to get my A453 CA completed asap during this weekend as well as manage revision/homework which is hectic if you're in Year 11. Guess I should wish myself good luck in that.

Good luck and was wondering in you're doing ocr b for your history controlled assessment?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by samaad1
Good luck and was wondering in you're doing ocr b for your history controlled assessment?

Thanks for your on-going support, it's really appreciated and I hope it motivates you as well. Yes, I'm on OCR History B and I'm happy to help with anything.
Thanks for your on-going support, it's really appreciated and I hope it motivates you as well. Yes, I'm on OCR History B and I'm happy to help with anything.

No problem it's nice seeing how other peoples revision is going and for history I was wondering how you structured your essay eg paragraph per fact
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by samaad1
No problem it's nice seeing how other peoples revision is going and for history I was wondering how you structured your essay eg paragraph per fact

I started off with an introduction paragraph before looking at what xxx did and compare etc ... bad explanation but I'll get back to you on that asap.
Original post by JTran38
I started off with an introduction paragraph before looking at what xxx did and compare etc ... bad explanation but I'll get back to you on that asap.

np i've also done about 750 words and about a 3rd of the way hrough
Reply 39
Original post by samaad1
np i've also done about 750 words and about a 3rd of the way hrough

Nice, I don't think I have the guide I was given but if I do I'll tell what what structure I've used.

Latest

Trending

Trending