The Student Room Group

What things are valued?

What activities (extra-curricular, if possible), are valued by universities/employers (to make you seem 'well-rounded')?

Like DofE for example.

Obviously theres things in work experience that adds edge to a uni application.

Thanks.
Original post by sulaimanali
What activities (extra-curricular, if possible), are valued by universities/employers (to make you seem 'well-rounded':wink:?

Like DofE for example.

Thanks.

What is it you re applying for?
@claireestelle - Nothing at this present moment, but will be soon. Just asking :smile: thanks!
What activities (extra-curricular, if possible), are valued by universities/employers (to make you seem 'well-rounded')?

Like DofE for example.

Thanks.

Besides DofE, being part of the student council/ambassador programmes show strong leadership skills :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nice. Thank you :smile:

Ah yes. I've been in the student council in my primary school, ambassador during GCSE years and done Mock Trials twice as well (hopefully now thrice). I've also done the World Maths Day thing for my primary school and came in the top leaderboard. I've done lots of other things too!
@claireestelle - Nothing at this present moment, but will be soon. Just asking :smile: thanks!

It would depend on the subject really, some degrees you can get into just by showing enthusiasm for your subject rather than using up space in your personal statement on mentioning extra curricular, medicine and other professional degrees will be ones where extra curriculars need mentioning.
Oh Okay. I'm looking for general and then subject specific feedback, please! :smile: Planning on going into Dentistry.

Get stuck into as much work experience and volunteering as possible for dentistry
Thanks @claireestelle - yeah, I've got a few ideas!!!
I think DofE is a waste of time, as such huge levels of participation devalue its merit as a differentiator.

I'd much rather see something that a self-starter had done, motivated by their own interests, and accomplished independently.

DofE teaches you a lot about your relationship with your friends. I'd rather discover more about the individual, and what makes them unique.
Original post by DrSocSciences
I think DofE is a waste of time, as such huge levels of participation devalue its merit as a differentiator.

I'd much rather see something that a self-starter had done, motivated by their own interests, and accomplished independently.

DofE teaches you a lot about your relationship with your friends. I'd rather discover more about the individual, and what makes them unique.

I agree tbh, but we are talking in terms of work, and employers need someone that can step into a work full of colleagues and help lead/motivate so evidence of self starting isn't exactly the best thing in comparison to DofE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest