The Student Room Group

IntAn - IntO

Looking for some advice,

Last year (almost to the day) I joined the RAF as an IntAn and went off down to Halton. 11 days after I got some news from home that made continuing pretty difficult. I struggled on for a few weeks, not too far from graduation actually and then had to VW as things at home got progressively worse.

A year on and things are much better, to the point where any issues at home will no longer play a part in my career. Initially looked at going for IntAn again but I have all the criteria for IntO, so it's piqued my interest.

I have a read through the process and sent off an application. But I am wondering whether the fact I VW'd during BRTC will have any adverse effect on my application for IntO? The reasons for leaving were genuine and I felt like the Flt Cdr understood my decision and I did talk it through with one of the corporals.

Also, is there much difference in treatment from Halton to Cranwell? In terms of been treated like an adult. As I'm 30 with wife and children, I found it odd being surrounded by those aged 17 +, and I felt like the corporal gave me more **** because I was older (older than he was actually) but that may have just been a false impression.

Now I found the AST tests fairly comfortable when I went for IntAn, what are the initial tests like for IntO, is it a big step up? Also are the fitness tests any different? I know mine will have changed since last year as I've turned 30.

At the moment I have a decent job, on a good wage, but the RAF was something I wanted to do for a long time, esp' Int. I want to go for it again and do something with myself, I'm not getting any younger.

tl;dr:
1)Will having VW'd during BRTC at Halton adversely affect my application for IntO?
2) Is the treatment at Cranwell more adult like than BRTC? (Not that this is a major issue).
3) Are the aptitude tests a step up from the ASTs I sat last year
4) Fitness requirements standard for both routes?
Original post by GoodTidings
Looking for some advice,

Last year (almost to the day) I joined the RAF as an IntAn and went off down to Halton. 11 days after I got some news from home that made continuing pretty difficult. I struggled on for a few weeks, not too far from graduation actually and then had to VW as things at home got progressively worse.

A year on and things are much better, to the point where any issues at home will no longer play a part in my career. Initially looked at going for IntAn again but I have all the criteria for IntO, so it's piqued my interest.

I have a read through the process and sent off an application. But I am wondering whether the fact I VW'd during BRTC will have any adverse effect on my application for IntO? The reasons for leaving were genuine and I felt like the Flt Cdr understood my decision and I did talk it through with one of the corporals.

Also, is there much difference in treatment from Halton to Cranwell? In terms of been treated like an adult. As I'm 30 with wife and children, I found it odd being surrounded by those aged 17 +, and I felt like the corporal gave me more **** because I was older (older than he was actually) but that may have just been a false impression.

Now I found the AST tests fairly comfortable when I went for IntAn, what are the initial tests like for IntO, is it a big step up? Also are the fitness tests any different? I know mine will have changed since last year as I've turned 30.

At the moment I have a decent job, on a good wage, but the RAF was something I wanted to do for a long time, esp' Int. I want to go for it again and do something with myself, I'm not getting any younger.

tl;dr:
1)Will having VW'd during BRTC at Halton adversely affect my application for IntO?
2) Is the treatment at Cranwell more adult like than BRTC? (Not that this is a major issue).
3) Are the aptitude tests a step up from the ASTs I sat last year
4) Fitness requirements standard for both routes?

1) Not if both your family reasons for leaving are accepted (and I suspect from what you've indicated, they would be) and you can convince them of the reasons for Officer entry this time around.
2) Yes, significantly, but there still elements of the 'game' in terms of having to get everyone to understand the nature of military discipline. So whereas some youngsters at Halton might be genuinely surprised to lose their weekends because of some shoe polishing indiscretion, on IOT you should know it's going to happen!
3) Probably, but I don't know
4) Googlable!
Reply 2
Hi,

I can't help with questions 1 and 2. I'm currently in the process of Intelligence Officer application and have my CBAT on Wednesday. I sat the AST as I originally applied for an Airman role. The CBAT is very different as far as I can tell so far. Lots of Speed=Distance/Time calculations, multitasking, hand eye co-ordination, work rate etc whereas the AST was simple arithmetic, geometry, mechanics, electrical comprehension. I would say the CBAT seems to have a more applied aspect i.e applying formula and methods to more real life situations. There's loads of threads on here with example questions that have really helped me prepare. If you google 'RAF CBAT' and click on the 'Notes for guidance of candidates' document on the RAF website it provides some examples of the different sections and questions if you want a quick overview.

I'm also pretty sure the fitness requirements are the same for Airman and Officer roles, although not 100%, the RAF website should have details of this.

I hope this helps in some way, if you want to know anything else I'll try my best to answer, good luck with everything!

Nick
Reply 3
Original post by nick9195
Lots of Speed=Distance/Time calculations, multitasking, hand eye co-ordination, work rate etc

Not necessarily.

I went IntO, but because from day 1 they knew I wasn't going for pilot - nor capable of going for it due to eyesight - so I didn't sit the hand-eye tests. They have no bearing on the IntO role.

Yes, minimum fitness standards are the same, however as a prospective officer you're expected to pass them to a higher standard.

Quick Reply

Latest