The Student Room Group

What’re the catches/downsides to the UOTC?

I’m considering joining the UOTC after speaking to someone I know who’s been doing it for a year. I’ve managed to get a fairly complete idea of what it entails and what it can do for me but there’s a few things I’d like to confirm before I go for it.

Is there any form of hidden catch/commitment after you’ve finished with it? I don’t want to move on in my life only to find out there are obligations I wasn’t aware of.

Given that the training is paid, is there an obligation to stay for a set period of time? I’m interested in joining for multiple reasons, but my university degree comes first so I’d value the ability to ‘drop out’ at any point (not that I’m going in with that intention at all)

I’ve heard that the atmosphere caters to a certain type of person (right-wing, with set expectations of how people should dress/act), does that have any merit to it?

Are there any other potential downsides (other than the time investment) that I should be aware of? The idea of being paid to do stuff I’d already want to do kind of spooks me a bit, it feels like a great opportunity but that’s what’s got me cautious of that makes sense
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
I haven't done UOTC, but some of your answers are below:

There's no obligation to join the Armed Forces post-UOTC.

The whole idea is to be able to balance your studies with UOTC, so I would think there'll be accommodations for that.

https://www.army.mod.uk/who-we-are/corps-regiments-and-units/university-officers-training-corps/

Where did you hear about the 'atmosphere'? Knowing people who have joined I've never come across that. I don't know of any other downsides.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Surnia
I haven't done UOTC, but some of your answers are below:

There's no obligation to join the Armed Forces post-UOTC.

The whole idea is to be able to balance your studies with UOTC, so I would think there'll be accommodations for that.

https://www.army.mod.uk/who-we-are/corps-regiments-and-units/university-officers-training-corps/

Where did you hear about the 'atmosphere'? Knowing people who have joined I've never come across that. I don't know of any other downsides.

Thanks, appreciate the reply.

The atmosphere thing was more hearsay than anything, I don’t have much time to make a decision about joining (since I was only recently told) so I’m having to go off of whatever I can find online unreliable but better than nothing considering the UOTC aren’t going to advertise their negatives. But yeah I’m sure people are nice

Other two questions are on similar rationale they tell you on their website there’s no obligation to join the reserves afterwards, but I don’t have to time to check if there’s a subclause somewhere when you sign up that would give you some kind of obligation to them (even if it was an unlikely something like ‘in the event of a full-blown war, you’ll be the first to be conscripted).
Reply 3
Original post by darkclaw3919
Other two questions are on similar rationale they tell you on their website there’s no obligation to join the reserves afterwards, but I don’t have to time to check if there’s a subclause somewhere when you sign up that would give you some kind of obligation to them (even if it was an unlikely something like ‘in the event of a full-blown war, you’ll be the first to be conscripted).

UOTC are classed as 'untrained soldiers' and cannot be called up or deployed.
Reply 4
I am in the UOTC right now and I can tell you that I have never felt a right-wing energy since I joined. Most people are fairly normal and nice. I have met no one so far who is into political discussions or something. Obviously, there are regulations in the way you wear your uniform and how you're meant to act (saluting personnel). If you have some uniform exemptions, you can bring them up with the staff.

Quick Reply

Latest