The Student Room Group

Few questions about RAF

Hiya.
Few questions I would like to be answered.
1. Can you use pen and paper at the CBAT/DAA test when you are doing numerical reasoning.
2. is there any in person test mocks.

Aha, my brains gone dead. Forgot the questions.

I'll think a bit and get back.

Thanks for all your amazing help y'all.
Reply 1
Sorry for the late response, but:

AFAIK a pen/paper or any sort of calculator is not allowed. Even if it were, it likely wouldn't be a wise option due to time pressure. The point it to see how you are in mental, fast-paced calculations and thinking.

Don't think so, but if you want to practice there are some helpful websites. I'd recommend https://rafcbat.wordpress.com/ it has a practice page as well as what goes on at Cranwell on the day before and the day of the test.

BTW this is for the CBAT I haven't looked into the DAA
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by rc_3010
Sorry for the late response, but:

AFAIK a pen/paper or any sort of calculator is not allowed. Even if it were, it likely wouldn't be a wise option due to time pressure. The point it to see how you are in mental, fast-paced calculations and thinking.

Don't think so, but if you want to practice there are some helpful websites. I'd recommend https://rafcbat.wordpress.com/ it has a practice page as well as what goes on at Cranwell on the day before and the day of the test.

BTW this is for the CBAT I haven't looked into the DAA

Hello, I have been practicing SDT and I've improved a lot over the last month or so.
The Fuel calculation questions seem more complicated to me and use larger, trickier 3 digit numbers. For example:

You travel 129 miles. How much fuel will you need if you burn 36 kgs per hour, and are travelling at 172 mph?

When I see 129 and 172, I can't immediately see a link between these numbers.

There is another thread from a few years ago: SDT for Dummies. It has been a great help. There wasn't much about the fuel calculation questions though, so any tips would be much appreciated!

Thank you SO much.
Reply 3
Have a look at the CBAT Ready app, it covers a good number of tests that come up and is very similar to the actual tests taken.
Hi, sat the DAA in person and also at home on the computer. Failed the first time on a computer, and passed in person. Although theoretically you could use pen and paper, the time constraints especially in the maths sections and verbal reasoning sections means it is basically pointless. Considering how high the bar is for pilot roles on the DAA I would suggest that you want to get as high as a mark you can, pass bar for maths is not released but I would guess it is around 90% from my experience. (I got around 95% for RM Officer and asked if I would pass for pilot and they said yes. The previous attempt that I failed I got 80% or smth and I failed for both.) Therefore you would ideally want to complete all the questions and using pen and paper will probably overcomplicate things and make you not complete all the answers in time. When I sat it in person they were very strict on no notes and stuff. However I think they gave me some paper to work stuff out.

CBAT I know for a fact that no pen and paper is allowed
Reply 5
hi i’ve got a quick few questions about time of in the RAF. how did your basic training in halton work with going home on weekends or did that not happen. Aswell as that what’s it like in the summer do you get any time of?
Reply 6
Original post by WildOak
Hello, I have been practicing SDT and I've improved a lot over the last month or so.
The Fuel calculation questions seem more complicated to me and use larger, trickier 3 digit numbers. For example:
You travel 129 miles. How much fuel will you need if you burn 36 kgs per hour, and are travelling at 172 mph?
When I see 129 and 172, I can't immediately see a link between these numbers.
There is another thread from a few years ago: SDT for Dummies. It has been a great help. There wasn't much about the fuel calculation questions though, so any tips would be much appreciated!
Thank you SO much.

For these kind of questions, it's helpful if you believe that there's going to be a simple relationship that you can work out.

In this case, I'd think about the rough relationship of the numbers first - 129:172 is going to be a bit more than 120:180, or 2:3. In which case, I'd assume that the number will be a fairly normal fraction and have a guess at 3:4.

Which works - and a quick check shows that 129 is 3/4 of 172. So you're travelling for 3/4 of an hour, and will burn 3/4 of 36 kgs.

Quick Reply

Latest