The Student Room Group

Becoming a pilot

I plan to apply to many airline training programs in the future but am currently going through the application processes to the RAF. I know this will be very beneficial to my future airline program applications as many airline pilots are ex-military.

But my question is what are the best roles to apply for in the RAF that airlines will find most attractive? I have got aircraft technician down currently. An airline pilot I spoke to suggested a drone pilot however this doesn't interest me.

Many thanks.
Reply 1
There are airline pilots who are ex-military pilots. What is it that you want to do in the future as a civilian, pilot or technician?
(edited 1 month ago)
I would say most things across the RAF, however I would say pilot would be the most desired just because the reputation that follows it. But at the end of the day it depends on what you are interested in. Certain engineering roles can be good too and even air traffic control. However I would recommend an Officer role since it is more desirable to employers even in different fields like Finance so at the end of the day you will get a higher paying job. You will be surprised how many Military officers get employed in well paying roles in the private sector.
Original post by Yak101
I plan to apply to many airline training programs in the future but am currently going through the application processes to the RAF. I know this will be very beneficial to my future airline program applications as many airline pilots are ex-military.
But my question is what are the best roles to apply for in the RAF that airlines will find most attractive? I have got aircraft technician down currently. An airline pilot I spoke to suggested a drone pilot however this doesn't interest me.
Many thanks.
If you're only applying for such an elite role in the RAF because you want a commercial role, you might as well forget it. Don't mean to be blunt, but you won't fool the OASC board. It's a huge commitment, you're gonna have to want to do it as a long-term career instead of just a fast-track to what you REALLY want to do.
Reply 4
Original post by Surnia
There are airline pilots who are ex-military pilots. What is it that you want to do in the future as a civilian, pilot or technician?
Definitely a pilot.
Reply 5
Original post by caffeinewizard
I would say most things across the RAF, however I would say pilot would be the most desired just because the reputation that follows it. But at the end of the day it depends on what you are interested in. Certain engineering roles can be good too and even air traffic control. However I would recommend an Officer role since it is more desirable to employers even in different fields like Finance so at the end of the day you will get a higher paying job. You will be surprised how many Military officers get employed in well paying roles in the private sector.
That makes sense. I will take your advice. Thanks for the response.
Reply 6
Original post by Yak101
Definitely a pilot.
So why aren't you applying to be a pilot in the military?

https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/airline-pilot

Quick Reply

Latest