The Student Room Group

RAF

Hi my boyfriends going into the raf soon and i was just wondering how weekends work and how much time you have off. i’m really unsure how it works, he starts basic training at halton and i was unsure on weather you get weekends of to go home. same with the summer. thanks
Original post by Jessx12
Hi my boyfriends going into the raf soon and i was just wondering how weekends work and how much time you have off. i’m really unsure how it works, he starts basic training at halton and i was unsure on weather you get weekends of to go home. same with the summer. thanks

He wont get weekends off during Phase 1 training, which is 10 weeks long; https://www.raf.mod.uk/news/articles/raf-basic-recruit-training-course/ After that, he will get some weekends off during Phase 2 (where that is, depends on Trade he is joining). He will be 'Duty' which means he will have to work 'out of hours occasionally' which will include wekends. The same applies once training is complete and he is posted to an Air station. At this stage he will be deployable to anywhere in the world but this will be a couple of years off so no need to worry about that now.

During Phase 1 and Phase 2 training, recruits are normally given leave for the main Summer, Easter and Christmas breaks.
Reply 2
More about RAF Halton:
https://recruitment.raf.mod.uk/parents-guardians

To add to the above post, he's not guaranteed weekends off once he starts his job. He'll need to get involved in activities to boost his chances of promotion in the future and there'll be opportunities for sport and travel of which he may want to take advantage. There could be shift work, exercises, deployments, guard duty, training courses and parades. Even leave isn't a given nor, in certain circumstances, is getting the first choice of base where he wants to work.

Talk to him about it; if he's at the stage of going to Halton he should be well up on what will happen during training and on postings.
RAF?!? eww. All jokes aside yes all military basic means you rarely have contact with your loved ones. I do believe you get holidays like Christmas off for a few days. All I can say is that offer him your full support. Training is hard and very intimidating and he will appreciate the support you give him.

I am not suggesting breaking up or anything like that I am not in a position to do so nor is it a good idea, but my girlfriend broke up with me because of military complications and it didn't go too well for me. It will be hard don't get me wrong, so I would really do some research to prepare yourself so your not surprised in any way and end up doing something that damages his future.

Before I broke up with my girlfriend I was abroad and met a US couple in which the husband was a WSOP in the air force, I asked them how was the relationship was during his time in the military, the response was: "it was hard but you get used to it and it was worth it."

All the blokes I was with who had girlfriends I was jealous of, they had someone to talk to, impress and relax to despite the lack of time they got together. During that time your support will be priceless to him.
Original post by Jessx12

Hi Jess, for the basic training they don’t get any official time off for family etc it’s more personal time so you won’t be having much contact during the 10 weeks, I’m in the same position my partner is going into basic training in 12 days so i understand it can be scary but after the basic training it should get easier

Quick Reply

Latest