The Student Room Group

What jobs are maths based?

What jobs can you get which are maths based? whenever I look what jobs can you get with a mathematics degree it never seems to be maths based. What jobs are there which you literally do maths??
I know this is a weird question but I couldn't word it properly!!
Professional daydreaming
Reply 2
Original post by Lohikäärme
What jobs can you get which are maths based? whenever I look what jobs can you get with a mathematics degree it never seems to be maths based. What jobs are there which you literally do maths??

computing, data analyst, financial advisors, engineering, possibily architecture, statistician, jobs in gchq/ nsa, mathematics in scientific research (i think), teaching

Different field require different types of maths of course.
Finance, economics, banking, actuarial sciences, accountancy, statistician, programmer, operational researcher, teacher and many more.
maths teacher
Original post by Lohikäärme

Mostly: quantitative finance, statistician, data science, actuary, academia/research etc..

Most jobs aren't really going to use the maths you learn in a maths degree aside from these.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Princepieman
Mostly: quantitative finance, statistician, data science, actuary, academia/research etc..

Most jobs aren't really going to use the maths you learn in a maths degree aside from these.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This, but add programmer and engineer to the list.
Original post by mik1a
This, but add programmer and engineer to the list.

nah, neither are particularly 'mathsy' but definitely logical/analytic. Software Engineer for a quant firm, maybe. Or say, someone who develops games engines working with physics - but most software folk don't employ much maths in their roles.

Same with engineering. I'm not even sure there are many pathways to engineering for mathmos.

I'm not saying mathmos can't get these jobs, (really any student with enough practice can be a good contender for a software gig), just the jobs don't qualify as a job 'where you literally do maths' like the OP said.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Princepieman
nah, neither are particularly 'mathsy' but definitely logical/analytic. Software Engineer for a quant firm, maybe. Or say, someone who develops games engines working with physics - but most software folk don't employ much maths in their roles.

Same with engineering. I'm not even sure there are many pathways to engineering for mathmos.

Programmer can certainly be maths-based, and even the non-mathematical will be looking for the analytical approach. Bear in mind most maths degrees will require some form of programming. There are quite a few relevant UK software employers (e.g. Mathworks, Ansys).

Many engineers will almost certainly use degree-level maths, but I think the main difficulty there is beating an engineer grad in an interview. The maths is so specific that a general overview isn't often appreciated.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mik1a
Programmer can certainly be maths-based, and even the non-mathematical will be looking for the analytical approach. Bear in mind most maths degrees will require some form of programming. There are quite a few relevant UK software employers (e.g. Mathworks, Ansys).

Many engineers will almost certainly use degree-level maths, but I think the main difficulty there is beating an engineer grad in an interview.

Yeah, as I said there might be a few software engineers working for quant firms but by and large they're not using any high level maths.*

My issue is that you generally need an engineering degree to become a fully-fledged engineer. There are exceptions however where some employers are lenient and/or there may be conversion engineering masters.*
Original post by mik1a
Many engineers will almost certainly use degree-level maths, but I think the main difficulty there is beating an engineer grad in an interview. The maths is so specific that a general overview isn't often appreciated.

In all honesty, it's rare for an engineer to use degree level maths on the job - or even much of the material taught in A-level/Higher/IB or equivalent for that matter.

Princepieman is right: very few jobs involve the use of degree level maths - outside of academia and teaching, that is. Although despite, this maths graduates still have some of the best outcomes in terms of employment rates and salaries. There are a much larger pool of jobs that require candidates to be comfortable with numbers and able to perform various types of calculations, or create models of various sorts, and maths graduates are usually very competitive candidates for these types of jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest