The Student Room Group

GCSE grades help

Hello,

This is a really dumb question first of all so apologies lol. I am applying for a job that states “You need a minimum of 5 GCSEs or equivalent at Grade C or above, including maths, science and English”, does this mean I need 5 GCSEs or equivalent as well as having GCSE or equivalent in maths, science and English (so 8 GCSEs or equivalent overall), or does it mean that 3 of the 5 GCSEs or equivalent need to be maths, science and English and then 2 other GCSEs in any other subjects?

Also, In regards to the qualifications needed. I left school with terrible grades. I have a GCSE grade C in English.

I have a level 2 functional skills in Maths and a BTEC level 2 first award in application of science which I got the grade M2 (Level 2 merit). Finally, I did Pearson BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Public Services in which I got a Pass. Do these count towards the 5 GCSEs or equivalent the job in requiring?
Reply 1
Hey! So I would highly recommend you apply no matter what. I have found in the past that biting the bullet and applying to something - even if you don't have the minimum qualifications which they are asking for - is more tactful than not applying based on the grounds of 'lacking qualifications.'

When a job post states “You need a minimum of 5 GCSEs or equivalent at Grade C or above, including maths, science and English”, they are usually asking for a pass in all three (Maths, Science and English). Genuinely, you have BTecs which will all cater to STEM careers; this works in your favour for the 'Maths, Science' requirement and you said you already have a pass in English.

It mean that 3 of the 5 GCSEs or equivalent need to be maths, science and English and then 2 other GCSEs in any other subjects

If you get an option to write a cover letter then do! Here you can really expand on what skills your BTecs have supplied you with in order to make you an ideal candidate for the role.

In summary, don't be scared just to apply! On your CV, put all your grades (whether passed or not) and let them decide from the achieved qualifications you already have.

Does this make sense?

Quick Reply

Latest