The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by keenbean23
Hi everyone!
I've just graduated with a BSc (Hons) 2.1 Applied Biomedical Science degree.
I did my UKCAT yesterday and got:
VR - 590
QR - 680
AR - 610
SJT - Band 2
Average - 627.I was going to apply for only undergrad courses at Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow and Newcastle.
Can you tell me what you think my chances would be or if to change any of my choices? I'm getting really stressed!
Thanks in advance. :smile:

I am not an expert in how a degree is treated in applying for A100 courses, but assuming it is the same as 3As at A level, then you are unlikely to meet the UKCAT cut off for Glasgow or Newcastle, who have both usually have a considerably higher cut off than your score. Aberdeen and Dundee use academics and UKCAT in a 60:40 split to score applicants, so you would have to look back at past threads on here, or maybe contact admissions to ask how competitive you would be, but I suspect with a 2:1, 627 is probably not going to make their cut, sorry.
You probably need to be looking at Liverpool, Cardiff, Bristol, Keele, Birmingham to see how they would treat your application, or considering if you want to sit BMAT.
However, as I say, I am no expert in postgrads applying to standard medical courses, so I stand ready to be corrected.
Good luck
Original post by HeyaG
Thank you! Any other unis i could possibly apply for? I just feel my ukcat might ruin my medical career as a whole :frown: :frown: So disappointed! Will people reject me because of 637 average score in ukcat even if i have good GCSEs (13A*s)?

You can also apply to any of the BMAT unis but avoid Imperial, since they dont look at GCSEs and your GCSEs are very good - Oxford would be good. Also Keele is good if you have lots of voluntary wotk.

And no, many people have gotten into medicine with low UKCAT scores.
Original post by HeyaG
Thank you! Any other unis i could possibly apply for? I just feel my ukcat might ruin my medical career as a whole :frown: :frown: So disappointed! Will people reject me because of 637 average score in ukcat even if i have good GCSEs (13A*s)?

Cardiff would be brilliant for you, QUB, birmingham also. Have a look at BMAT universities such as UCL, leeds.
Original post by GANFYD
Sheffield, Southampton, Plymouth, Kings, Glasgow all use UKCAT
Leicester, QUB, UEA, Dundee, Aberdeen, St Andrews, SGUL-academics and UKCAT
Cardiff GCSEs
You should be fine for any of them, barring big change in UKCAT averages. I would avoid Cardiff as they are one of the few med schools not relying heavily on UKCAT and they interview a lot of people, and yours is very good. I would also avoid PS dependent places like Manchester, Liverpool and possibly Nottingham (although your academics should mean you are OK there) as it is too subjective.
Good luck

Thank you so much this is really helpful!! I definitely appreciate the advice regarding Cardiff as lots of people have been saying I should apply based on my GCSEs but I would hate to waste a decent UKCAT score.
Original post by elish2chambers
Thank you so much this is really helpful!! I definitely appreciate the advice regarding Cardiff as lots of people have been saying I should apply based on my GCSEs but I would hate to waste a decent UKCAT score.

Last year they interviewed 1500 people for 309 places (and about 500 offers), so competition at interview will be intense with an interview to offer ration of about 3:1. This is probably one of the highest of all medical schools, and whilst your GCSEs may get you an interview, you will be competing with a lot more people than at, for example Birmingham or Nottingham, so why take that risk when you have the stats to apply elsewhere?
Have a look here for competition ratios (though bear in mind it is a bit out of date, as some places have changed numbers and admissions criteria etc, so worth checking websites of any you are interested in).
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Competition_Ratios
Whilst it shouldn't be the only criteria you use to decide where to apply, if you are stuck deciding between places, it can certainly be a factor!
(edited 7 years ago)
Okay so here are my stats

Scottish Highers AAAAA

Currently doing 3 advanced highers in biology chemistry and maths

UK cat

Vr 590
Qr 650
Ar 610
SJ 2

Average 617
Total 1850

Volunteering at hospital cafe
1 week GP work experience
1 week experience at school for disabled kids

Priority would be unis in Scotland but open to all.
Unlikely to sit BMAT

Let me know where I would have a remote chance! Thanks :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5786
Original post by nomophobia
You can also apply to any of the BMAT unis but avoid Imperial, since they dont look at GCSEs and your GCSEs are very good - Oxford would be good. Also Keele is good if you have lots of voluntary wotk.

And no, many people have gotten into medicine with low UKCAT scores.

Thank you for all your advice! Helped me a lot!!!! xx
Reply 5787
Original post by Natalierm2707
Cardiff would be brilliant for you, QUB, birmingham also. Have a look at BMAT universities such as UCL, leeds.

Thank you soo much! xx
Hey Guys,

Now that UKCAT preliminary deciles have been released and there appears to be a slight increase from last year (by +10 avg approx), what do you think my chances of interview at Kings College London are with:

GCSEs: 9A*s 2As
UKCAT: 720 avg Band 1 SJT
Predictions A*AA

Thanks responses are much appreciated
With 7a* and 3a (eng lang, maths and ICT)
UKCAT 640 average (600, 610 and 710) Band 2
AAAB at AS (A's in Bio, Chem, Maths)
A*AA prediction, Chem is the A* and maths may also be going to A* as my average was 89%.
WE/volunteering with disabled adults and children, at a hospice, GP and in medical research.
I have already confirmed 3 choices however I am struggling with my last. Do I have the best shot at Leicester, Nottingham, Aberdeen or Bristol?
Or any other ideas?
I'm also concerned that I have no WE in a hospital except for the research department:frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ireallywantana
Hey Guys,

Now that UKCAT preliminary deciles have been released and there appears to be a slight increase from last year (by +10 avg approx), what do you think my chances of interview at Kings College London are with:

GCSEs: 9A*s 2As
UKCAT: 720 avg Band 1 SJT
Predictions A*AA

Thanks responses are much appreciated

You still have a good chance over there because anything 700+ is a good UKCAT score and with your GCSEs, you will most likely score quite highly.

Also, the prelim results aren't very reliable because half the people still hadn't done the UKCAT when they were released and people generally do worse later on in the UKCAT cycle.
Original post by Kienzan
Hi guys,

Was hoping for some advice as to which Medical schools would be best for me to apply to this year.

GCSEs: 2A* 5A 3B
AS Level: AABBb, predicted AAA (at least) for A2
UKCAT: 627 average. 680, 610, 590, Band 2 in QR, AR, VR and SJ respectively.
Work Experience: 1 week shadowing a consultant in an EAU, 4 months volunteering at a hospital (so far).

Overall not great stats compared to some other applicants. Still undecided on whether or not to take the BMAT, so advice on that would be great too.

Thanks

Try UEA, HYMS, Liverpool, Bristol, Keele, maybe Aberdeen? I would definitely recommend BMAT though.
Original post by nomophobia
You still have a good chance over there because anything 700+ is a good UKCAT score and with your GCSEs, you will most likely score quite highly.

Also, the prelim results aren't very reliable because half the people still hadn't done the UKCAT when they were released and people generally do worse later on in the UKCAT cycle.

Thanks,

Do you know roughly over past years what has been a competitive score for Kings. When I called them up they said cut-off last year was 650 but I see people on here saying you need much higher than that?
Thanks,

Do you know roughly over past years what has been a competitive score for Kings. When I called them up they said cut-off last year was 650 but I see people on here saying you need much higher than that?

Kings, while considered to be UKCAT heavy, is quite holistic in their application process I think.
If you have very good GCSEs, and an amazing PS, then you'll likely be considered with a lower UKCAT score, but it's always a safer choice if you have a high UKCAT :h:
2.1 in Biomedical Sciences

VR: 690
QR: 860
AR: 700
SJT: Band 2
Overall: 750
Extras: 6 months WE at a Hospital FIVE YEARS AGO (so places that won't care when I did it!), 2 month non-medical paid job

Where would I have the best chances? Should I bother applying for GEM with poor extras + only a 2.1? What are my chances like for KCL and Barts'?
Thanks,

You're fine. I have friends who got in with 680 last year.
Original post by Orangeflower6
A*AA prediction, Chem is the A* and maths may also be going to A* as my average was 89%.
WE/volunteering with disabled adults and children, at a hospice, GP and in medical research.
I have already confirmed 3 choices however I am struggling with my last. Do I have the best shot at Leicester, Nottingham, Aberdeen or Bristol?
Or any other ideas?
I'm also concerned that I have no WE in a hospital except for the research department:frown:

I tend to know more about Leicester and Nottingham than anywhere else.

Based on last year you would have got an interview at Leicester, but it's borderline (annoyingly A's in Eng Lang and Maths make a big difference). Definitely worth a punt unless you have better options.

Again based on last year you would have just missed getting through first sift at Nottingham by 1 point in my estimation. If you did just edge through you would need a very strong PS to get an interview (probably need a score of 10 out of 16).

Your volunteering looks strong to me. Med Schools generally recognise that it's difficult to get volunteering opportunities in hospitals. It's much more important to be able to demonstrate what you have learnt from what you have done and demonstrate your motivation towards a medical career, rather than have a stellar list of opportunities from which you have learned nor demonstrated anything. If you happen to have family friends or relatives who work in hospitals then talk to them about the upsides and downsides of their job, what they enjoy, what their greatest frustration is - then put it in your PS eg: I have learned from conversations with xyz. It's not essential if you don't know anyone but it shows that you've researched the role.

Have a look on Nottingham's FAQ page for A100 under the PS and Work Experience headings. It explains this in more detail.Don't feel you have to tick off 100% of the things on their list. Your volunteering will be stronger than many, weaker than some.
Original post by meddad
I tend to know more about Leicester and Nottingham than anywhere else.

Based on last year you would have got an interview at Leicester, but it's borderline (annoyingly A's in Eng Lang and Maths make a big difference). Definitely worth a punt unless you have better options.

Again based on last year you would have just missed getting through first sift at Nottingham by 1 point in my estimation. If you did just edge through you would need a very strong PS to get an interview (probably need a score of 10 out of 16).

Your volunteering looks strong to me. Med Schools generally recognise that it's difficult to get volunteering opportunities in hospitals. It's much more important to be able to demonstrate what you have learnt from what you have done and demonstrate your motivation towards a medical career, rather than have a stellar list of opportunities from which you have learned nor demonstrated anything. If you happen to have family friends or relatives who work in hospitals then talk to them about the upsides and downsides of their job, what they enjoy, what their greatest frustration is - then put it in your PS eg: I have learned from conversations with xyz. It's not essential if you don't know anyone but it shows that you've researched the role.

Have a look on Nottingham's FAQ page for A100 under the PS and Work Experience headings. It explains this in more detail.Don't feel you have to tick off 100% of the things on their list. Your volunteering will be stronger than many, weaker than some.

Thank you very much for such a detailed response! I know it had to be those two subjects in which I got A's! I was hoping my A in AS maths would compensate but it doesn't. I feel quite confident in my other options though, it's just this last one and the fact I haven't shadowed in a hospital. You have helped loads. Thank you again!
Original post by Orangeflower6
Or any other ideas?

You have been given good advice about Leicester and Nottingham.
Aberdeen use predicted A2s (60%) and UKCAT (40%) as their selection criteria, unless they have changed it recently, so you would stand a better chance if your predictions were increased to A*A*A. Look on past threads on here to see what UKCAT scores have been making the cut
Bristol uses 10% UKCAT 20% academics 70% PS and is likely to be highly competitive.
You would meet Liverpool's criteria (use GCSEs scoring A* and A the same, then UKCAT with a cut off of about 625 last year, I think, then score PS), probably UEA, have a look at HYMS (though they, like Leicester use SJT as a virtual interview station, so you would lose a mark at interview there) or QUB.
I would have thought Leicester, HYMS, UEA or Aberdeen were your best bet, but you would need to see what UKCAT scores were competitive at Aberdeen and a bit depends on whether you can get your predictions pushed up. You don't say what the choices are you have already made?
Good luck
Original post by GANFYD
You have been given good advice about Leicester and Nottingham.
Aberdeen use predicted A2s (60%) and UKCAT (40%) as their selection criteria, unless they have changed it recently, so you would stand a better chance if your predictions were increased to A*A*A. Look on past threads on here to see what UKCAT scores have been making the cut
Bristol uses 10% UKCAT 20% academics 70% PS and is likely to be highly competitive.
You would meet Liverpool's criteria (use GCSEs scoring A* and A the same, then UKCAT with a cut off of about 625 last year, I think, then score PS), probably UEA, have a look at HYMS (though they, like Leicester use SJT as a virtual interview station, so you would lose a mark at interview there) or QUB.
I would have thought Leicester, HYMS, UEA or Aberdeen were your best bet, but you would need to see what UKCAT scores were competitive at Aberdeen and a bit depends on whether you can get your predictions pushed up. You don't say what the choices are you have already made?
Good luck

Thank you, your advice has been really helpful! My choices already made are Liverpool, HYMS and UEA, so it's nice to see that you think along the same lines. I have decided to avoid Bristol, as you say it seems to risky. I am now considering between Leicester, Aberdeen and Keele. For Keele i have 183 hours volunteering as it stands, but an extra 2hrs and 30 mins is added onto that each week. Do you have any idea what kind of stats you need to be interviewed at Keele based on academics? I've read that the first 100 they interview is based off of academic score and the rest are based off of the R and R form. I'm beginning to think this may be a safer option for me than Aberdeen/Leicester, I'm currently reading through last years forum to try and work this out. What do you think?

Latest

Trending

Trending