The Student Room Group

Is Steps the answer.

So I hope to get really good A levels and step results and get into Cambridge for maths how realistic this is may be is debatable but that is the plan anyway.

Part of me fears that if I do get into Cambridge I might find I cannot do it and end up dropping out. So they have Step exams and I like to think that is the test If I can pass the Step exams to the required standard then that proves if I work hard I will make it through with a good degree.

So maybe I will go for the step exams and flunk them but that is irrelevant because then I wont get into Cambridge so hypothetically say I have sat all 3 and got 1 1 1 or better, (I have not sat any yet) would that mean we can say with reasonable degree of confidence that with hard work I would do alright on a Cambridge maths degree?
Original post by Luke7456
So I hope to get really good A levels and step results and get into Cambridge for maths how realistic this is may be is debatable but that is the plan anyway.

Part of me fears that if I do get into Cambridge I might find I cannot do it and end up dropping out. So they have Step exams and I like to think that is the test If I can pass the Step exams to the required standard then that proves if I work hard I will make it through with a good degree.

So maybe I will go for the step exams and flunk them but that is irrelevant because then I wont get into Cambridge so hypothetically say I have sat all 3 and got 1 1 1 or better, (I have not sat any yet) would that mean we can say with reasonable degree of confidence that with hard work I would do alright on a Cambridge maths degree?

Not an expert on this, Zacken can clarify more. But AFAIK, there is a very strong correlation between performance at STEP and performance at degree level (ie if you do well at STEP then you'll probably also do well at the degree).

However, I will warn you, STEP is very, very difficult. I averaged over 97% on my maths AS and self taught the A2 in a matter of weeks but am finding MAT, never mind STEP, very tricky. But it you can hack STEP, chances are you'll do well on the degree.
Reply 2
Original post by TheRandomGenius
Not an expert on this, Zacken can clarify more. But AFAIK, there is a very strong correlation between performance at STEP and performance at degree level (ie if you do well at STEP then you'll probably also do well at the degree).

However, I will warn you, STEP is very, very difficult. I averaged over 97% on my maths AS and self taught the A2 in a matter of weeks but am finding MAT, never mind STEP, very tricky. But it you can hack STEP, chances are you'll do well on the degree.

That is the perfect scenario then, I would love to go to Cambridge but don't want to go there if I am just going to spend a lot of money drop out and be seen as a failure. I also do not want to avoid my dreams because of fear. so it is a hard choice but if the step exams are the test of whether I can survive the course then there is nothing to agonize over if I can get past step exams I will do well provided I work hard. If I can't get past the step exams then I just don't get in and go to a more appropriate university. I mean Warwick ask for a grade 2 right? and Imperial also ask for a grade 2 and I know Imperial is meant to be known as one of the toughest courses out there.

So I mean that should settle it right I mean I have only just started my self study I might find out I struggle to get Bs let alone A*A*A* +steps etc, and no one here could reliably say what I am or am not capable of because not enough data etc. However if I find I can get A*A*A or the likes and I do end up getting 1s or distinctions on steps for Cambridge or 2s for Imperial/Warwick, it would be safe to conclude that with hard work I would do well on any of these courses?

is that right assumption?
Original post by Luke7456
That is the perfect scenario then, I would love to go to Cambridge but don't want to go there if I am just going to spend a lot of money drop out and be seen as a failure. I also do not want to avoid my dreams because of fear. so it is a hard choice but if the step exams are the test of whether I can survive the course then there is nothing to agonize over if I can get past step exams I will do well provided I work hard. If I can't get past the step exams then I just don't get in and go to a more appropriate university. I mean Warwick ask for a grade 2 right? and Imperial also ask for a grade 2 and I know Imperial is meant to be known as one of the toughest courses out there.

So I mean that should settle it right I mean I have only just started my self study I might find out I struggle to get Bs let alone A*A*A* +steps etc, and no one here could reliably say what I am or am not capable of because not enough data etc. However if I find I can get A*A*A or the likes and I do end up getting 1s or distinctions on steps for Cambridge or 2s for Imperial/Warwick, it would be safe to conclude that with hard work I would do well on any of these courses?

is that right assumption?

Yes. If you can get 1s in STEP and you carry on the same work ethic into uni there's no reason you can't do well. STEP is very difficult, a lot harder and different than A level (please don't underestimate it). What year are you in by the way? Or are you a mature student?
Reply 4
Original post by TheRandomGenius
Yes. If you can get 1s in STEP and you carry on the same work ethic into uni there's no reason you can't do well. STEP is very difficult, a lot harder and different than A level (please don't underestimate it). What year are you in by the way? Or are you a mature student?

II am a mature student I sit the first half of exams this year My past academic record is very bad by cambridge standards so the plan was to sit a step paper or two this year to get an offer. I Doubt I would get an offer with 100%s in exams at this stage but think if i got 1 or better in step 1 and 2 I might get offer still. I know I can register late so the plan is to prepare for steps as if I am going to sit it then only register when/if I know I am ready. I wont sit it if i think i will get 2 or worse. I could just then take a long shot application and a gap year in between whilst sitting step 2 and 3 following year if i don't sit them this year.

Quick Reply

Latest