The Student Room Group

CIE A-Level Law

Im currently doing my A-Level Law from CIE (which im pretty sure most candidates are international) and im just sorta high key dying from the amount of information ? Am i the only one that feels this way ? Is it the same for the other exam boards ? How do you deal with this amount of information and precision that we need to replicate in such a short time in the exam. I did History IGCSEs (the international version of GCSEs) and there was a fair bit of content but i did it pretty well. I find that A-Level Law is quit a bit of a step up from History (yes i know its a levels) but is it too big of a difference ?
I did old spec AQA law. Memorising was a peice of cake although that may just be me.
i do AQA law and there is a lot of content and im confused as to what the diffrence between the content would be in a 10 marker and a 30 marker *laughing emoji* *crying emoji*
Can you post examples of quesions?
Original post by quirky editor
Can you post examples of quesions?

me?
(edited 5 years ago)
(Original post by quirky editor)

10 mark
there were 3 steps leading up to the front door of Dans house. the middle step had partly crumbled. ewan , dans neighbour offered to repair the step for him. a week after Ewan did the repair the step crumbled again when dan walked down the steps. Dan fell and badly damaged his knee. In total his losses were estimated at 400000

Advise Dan as to his rights and remedies against Ewan in the tort of negligence and assess the alternative available to him to seek to resolve the dispute

I attempted this question and it was 2 and a half pages smh which is clearly too much for a 10 marker but i dont get which parts i shouldnt include??
i think it's a mark a minute so it's what you can write in 10 minutes. Ewan voluntarily assumed responsibility and is thereore liable for the damages or injuries. what's the alternative?
i think it's a mark a minute so it's what you can write in 10 minutes. Ewan voluntarily assumed responsibility and is thereore liable for the damages or injuries. what's the alternative?

it took me 40 minutes to try and write a perfect answer loool but ive clearly included too much but i dont see what parts im not supposed to include ygm?? check the doc i sent
Rep ipsa is to do with burden of proof. You don't usually mention it unless they ask for it.
Rep ipsa is to do with burden of proof. You don't usually mention it unless they ask for it.

What else shouldnt have been included becayse i did a 30 mark negligence and pretty much did exactly what i wrote for this 10 marker
quick update

surely still too much even after i remove res ispa loquiter?
Reply 14
For CIE, paper 1 consists of 6 25m questions, in which I have to do 3 in 90minutes ( I still find this quite stressful). Paper 2 gives us a case and we have to answer according to the facts in that case. An example of a paper question can look something like this - Dicuss critically the function and jurisdiction of the Magistrates cumourt in England and Wales- I would have to talk in depth about the magistrates court, their history, functions, jurisdictions, advantages and disadvantages etc
Original post by louisaur
Im currently doing my A-Level Law from CIE (which im pretty sure most candidates are international) and im just sorta high key dying from the amount of information ? Am i the only one that feels this way ? Is it the same for the other exam boards ? How do you deal with this amount of information and precision that we need to replicate in such a short time in the exam. I did History IGCSEs (the international version of GCSEs) and there was a fair bit of content but i did it pretty well. I find that A-Level Law is quit a bit of a step up from History (yes i know its a levels) but is it too big of a difference ?

Hi,
I currently studying CIE AS Level Law (exams in 9 weeks >_< ). Really struggling since I'm only doing the second sitting of the new spec and don't have enough questions to practice on and know what the new exams are like.
Also need help with how to memorise/learn content especially cases.
And, are questions re. role of CPS etc asked in the new syllabus (MAY/JUNE 23 STUDENTS plsss!!!)
Any tips/help?
Original post by Ollie Cook
Hi,
I currently studying CIE AS Level Law (exams in 9 weeks >_< ). Really struggling since I'm only doing the second sitting of the new spec and don't have enough questions to practice on and know what the new exams are like.
Also need help with how to memorise/learn content especially cases.
And, are questions re. role of CPS etc asked in the new syllabus (MAY/JUNE 23 STUDENTS plsss!!!)
Any tips/help?

Hey, How did your exams go? I'm doing mine in 3 months, do you have any tips on how to prep for the new spec and any materials you used? I'm completely clueless, i have no idea how to prepare and I think I'm gonna pass out from the information overload, pls help if u can 🙂
Original post by Sereen Khan
Hey, How did your exams go? I'm doing mine in 3 months, do you have any tips on how to prep for the new spec and any materials you used? I'm completely clueless, i have no idea how to prepare and I think I'm gonna pass out from the information overload, pls help if u can 🙂

Hi,
Exams went good, much better than I expected, I was so stressed out since I didn't have much practice for the new spec.
I prepared using the book mainly, I didn't have much in terms of extra resources/materials. Law definitely has a lot of content so I resorted to mind maps, revision cards (I stuck these up on my bedroom wall so I could revise whenever I had a spare minute). If you're using the Hodder Education textbook, it will already have summary tables at the end of each chapter, for both English Legal System and Criminal Law.
I also used past papers. I literally did every single one available, every season every variant.
Another technique that was very helpful was using the mark scheme to write out the answers. So I would look at the questions and use the mark scheme as a base/guide for my answers.
Finally, I had an amazing tutor towards the end who was a great support, she really boosted my confidence at the most crucial time.
I feel like the main trick with Law is constant reading. Memorization is key.
Case and Act dates aren't 100% necessary, you won't lose marks for not writing down the date of a case, or even its full name.

I hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest