The Student Room Group

Which university is better for psychology?

Hello!
I am currently doing my last year in high school and I am going to do psychology in uni. I already picked 4 universities that I would like to apply to but I am struggling on what to pick for my 5th choice.

Universities I'm thinking about:

University of Exeter
University Of Bristol
Durham University

I know that all 3 have excellent psychology courses and are ranked in the top 15 but I can't seem to decide.

Questions:

1) What is the city like? I've been to Bristol before but I've never been to Exeter or Durham so I would like to know more info about them. What kind of activities are there and what is the environment like? (e.g. cinema, water/theme park, mini golf, small or big city, in the middle of nowhere) I want to go to a university with an excellent psychology course but I also don't want to live in a boring city.

2) Which university is better? I looked at many websites but they all seem the same to me. If anybody has been to or is in one of these universities I would like to know what you think about the facilities, the experience and the clubs.

3) Do Bristol And Durham have better psychology courses than exeter? they both need 37-38 IB points (I'm doing International baccalaureate) while Exeter needs less. Is it because the course is easier?

I would like do live close to London because of family and I know that Durham is far away, so unless it has a better psychology course than the other two and the city is great then I'd rather not apply. My family says I should apply for Bristol but many sites say that Exeter and Durham are just as good, which is why I am also considering Durham. They all seem the same to me and I can't decide, so what do you guys think?
Original post by Niakins
Hello!
I am currently doing my last year in high school and I am going to do psychology in uni. I already picked 4 universities that I would like to apply to but I am struggling on what to pick for my 5th choice.

Universities I'm thinking about:

University of Exeter
University Of Bristol
Durham University

I know that all 3 have excellent psychology courses and are ranked in the top 15 but I can't seem to decide.

Questions:

1) What is the city like? I've been to Bristol before but I've never been to Exeter or Durham so I would like to know more info about them. What kind of activities are there and what is the environment like? (e.g. cinema, water/theme park, mini golf, small or big city, in the middle of nowhere) I want to go to a university with an excellent psychology course but I also don't want to live in a boring city.

2) Which university is better? I looked at many websites but they all seem the same to me. If anybody has been to or is in one of these universities I would like to know what you think about the facilities, the experience and the clubs.

3) Do Bristol And Durham have better psychology courses than exeter? they both need 37-38 IB points (I'm doing International baccalaureate) while Exeter needs less. Is it because the course is easier?

I would like do live close to London because of family and I know that Durham is far away, so unless it has a better psychology course than the other two and the city is great then I'd rather not apply. My family says I should apply for Bristol but many sites say that Exeter and Durham are just as good, which is why I am also considering Durham. They all seem the same to me and I can't decide, so what do you guys think?

It would help people to know what your other 4 choices are....that should help them understand what you're looking for from a university and the course.

You don't have to add all 5 choices to apply - all of these universities have a 15 Jan deadline for psychology. You co0uld apply now with your 4 choices and then add your 5th choice later on using UCAS Track once you've had time to do more research and visit places. As long as you add it before the deadline it wont affect your chances of an offer.
IMO they're pretty similar academically. I would choose based on what the city is like.

Durham is gorgeous but very far away from London, and certainly smaller than the others. I guess some might say it's more "boring" but there is a big student presence so I would have thought plenty going on.

Bristol is pretty big with loads going on.

Exeter is nice but quite far away from London too. Not as big as Bristol though.

From your criteria, Bristol sounds best. Closest to London, biggest city so not as overwhelmed by students (although the Clifton area still is). All good courses though.

Quick Reply

Latest