The Student Room Group

How should I solve this question in 9709/71

May/June 2015 Paper-71
Question 2
Sami claims that he can read minds. He asks each of 50 people to choose one of the 5 letters A, B, C, D or E. He then tells each person which letter he believes they have chosen. He gets 13 correct. Sami says “This shows that I can read minds, because 13 is more than I would have got right if I were just guessing.”
(i) State null and alternative hypotheses for a test of Sami’s claim. [1]
(ii) Test at the 10% significance level whether Sami’s claim is justified. [5]
Original post by Abinaya P L
May/June 2015 Paper-71
Question 2
Sami claims that he can read minds. He asks each of 50 people to choose one of the 5 letters A, B, C, D or E. He then tells each person which letter he believes they have chosen. He gets 13 correct. Sami says “This shows that I can read minds, because 13 is more than I would have got right if I were just guessing.”
(i) State null and alternative hypotheses for a test of Sami’s claim. [1]
(ii) Test at the 10% significance level whether Sami’s claim is justified. [5]

So, first of all, tell us what you have tried; the style in this forum is to help people along from where they've got stuck after they've had a go!

If you are completely stuck right at the beginning, think about what the probability is for Sami making a correct guess for any particular individual, and therefore write down the probability of him making an incorrect guess for that individual. What sort of trial is this usually called? Now string fifty of these guesses together; what is the probability distribution that is involved?
Reply 2
Original post by Gregorius
So, first of all, tell us what you have tried; the style in this forum is to help people along from where they've got stuck after they've had a go!

If you are completely stuck right at the beginning, think about what the probability is for Sami making a correct guess for any particular individual, and therefore write down the probability of him making an incorrect guess for that individual. What sort of trial is this usually called? Now string fifty of these guesses together; what is the probability distribution that is involved?

I know that Ho P:0.2
H1 P>0.2
But I dont understand from where 125 comes
Can you please provide me with an worked solution for this question
Original post by Abinaya P L
I know that Ho P:0.2
H1 P>0.2

H0 is fine, but are you sure about H1?

Can you please provide me with an worked solution for this question

What's the probability distribution you should be considering for the second part?
Reply 4
Original post by Gregorius
H0 is fine, but are you sure about H1?

What's the probability distribution you should be considering for the second part?

H1 P>0.2 right
Should the probability for second part be 0.26
Even if I try with 0.26, I don't know how to proceed with it
Please explain me
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest