The Student Room Group

Further mathematics in A2 alongside A2 mathematics

Hello,
I am currently doing CIE As mathematics and I am thinking about doing CIE alevel Further Mathematics in A2 alongside A2 mathematics.
My current subjects are
-physics
-chemistry
-maths

So I wanted to take a fourth subject in A2

Is it possible to do that??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Absolutely possible. If you're self-teaching then most of the modules are reasonably self-teachable (or were for edexcel, my exam board). You need to ask yourself if it's worth it, as unis generally won't care about a fourth A2, unless it's oxbridge or something. If you're doing something maths-based at uni though further maths will make the course so much easier. Or you might be doing it purely for enjoyment, which is a perfectly acceptable thing to do in my opinion :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by electrifeye
Absolutely possible. If you're self-teaching then most of the modules are reasonably self-teachable (or were for edexcel, my exam board). You need to ask yourself if it's worth it, as unis generally won't care about a fourth A2, unless it's oxbridge or something. If you're doing something maths-based at uni though further maths will make the course so much easier. Or you might be doing it purely for enjoyment, which is a perfectly acceptable thing to do in my opinion :biggrin:

Thankyou
The college I am in will not allow me to take furthermaths unless I have taken entire Alevel mathematics so I will have to do FM privately. And since I will also be doing A2 mathematics physics and chemistry do you think it will be possible to score A* in FM and other three subjects?

Is it possible to do FM without the knowledge of A2 mathematics??

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can do AS FM with only the knowledge of AS maths (can't tell if you've done that). A2 FM does need A2 maths but if taught in the right order you could ensure you don't learn anything relying on A2 maths before you learn the prerequisite. If you leave it until the maths course is over to start learning FM then it's possible but you'll be a bit rushed (I managed to self teach AS additional further in the time between Easter & exams)

I'll point again out that my board was edexcel so it's possible there are differences between the boards
Reply 4
Hi, please can someone tell me how Further Maths works ?

I achieved an A* in Edexcel Maths but I want to take FM up to AS Level or A2. I completed C1-4 and S1-2 in June 2016.

How does AS FM work ?

Can I choose FP1, S1 and S2 as my AS modules for Further Maths ?
You have to do another 3 modules you haven't already used - so the AS would be FP1 and any 2 applied modules you haven't already done. Then of course you do yet another 3 to get the A2.

So yeah, you can't really cut corners by saying you've already done S1 & S2 :P

Quick Reply

Latest