The Student Room Group

Entry requirements with mixed courses

Hi!
I am a student studying A-Level Maths and OCR BTEC Level 3 IT (Extended diploma), and have the intention of studying another A-Level (possibly Chem) next year.
I have only just begun university research (so this may be a stupid question) as I previously did not want to go, however I have since changed my mind and looking into a bachelor of maths degree. However when searching numerous uni entry requirements they list both the A-Level requirements and Extended Diploma requirements (if they accept), but separately. How am I supposed to work out the entry requirements of a uni if I am doing both? Any advice would be great.
Thanks!
Original post by Harveyhfs
Hi!
I am a student studying A-Level Maths and OCR BTEC Level 3 IT (Extended diploma), and have the intention of studying another A-Level (possibly Chem) next year.
I have only just begun university research (so this may be a stupid question) as I previously did not want to go, however I have since changed my mind and looking into a bachelor of maths degree. However when searching numerous uni entry requirements they list both the A-Level requirements and Extended Diploma requirements (if they accept), but separately. How am I supposed to work out the entry requirements of a uni if I am doing both? Any advice would be great.
Thanks!

Well, you're not helping yourself by using the term "OCR BTEC Level 3 IT (Extended diploma)", as there is no such thing. The brand BTEC is owned by Pearson, which also own the brand Edexcel. Only Pearson offer BTECs. OCR offer a set of qualifications they call "Cambridge Technicals", which are often abbreviated to CTEC. So my guess is that you're doing an OCR Cambridge Technical Level 3 Extended Diploma in IT.

As you've discovered, universities often list their entry requirements in A level or BTEC/CTEC terms, and often overlook the fact that many students take a combination of such qualifications. This is not because the universities don't accepted a mixed set of qualifications, it just because there are so many permutations of qualifications that a student could have they they can't possibly list them all. So they often only list the most common qualifications, or combinations of qualifications.

Your best bet is to look in the BTEC/CTEC section of their entry requirements, as that's where you're more likely to see combinations listed.

For example, KCL say here that for their Mathematics degree they will accept "BTEC/CTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma with overall grade DDM and two A levels at A*A".

Similarly, Manchester say here that for their Mathematics degree, "We consider the Cambridge Technical Extended Diploma for entry with grades DDD in combination with a grade A* in A-level Mathematics."

Were there any particular universities you were targeting?
Reply 2
For any combinations for A levels and BTECs - always check with each individual Uni what they will accept for the specific course you want to do. Just email them and ask.
Hi!
Thanks!

The first thing you need to do is check whether universities will accept your qualification. As already advised OCR dont do BTECs. Most universities accept BTECs but a few dont particularly in London. In your circumstances you should check with each university that you are interested in applying to whether they will accept your qualifications.

As far as Maths degrees some top universities will ask for Further Maths and STEP papers so look at universities that dont require these. Taking an extra A level isnt going to help you
It’s nearly always a case of emailing the uni when you are taking a mixture of qualifications.

As above, you need to check the exact title of the BTEC as there are many varieties.
Original post by swanseajack1
The first thing you need to do is check whether universities will accept your qualification. As already advised OCR dont do BTECs. Most universities accept BTECs but a few dont particularly in London. In your circumstances you should check with each university that you are interested in applying to whether they will accept your qualifications.

As far as Maths degrees some top universities will ask for Further Maths and STEP papers so look at universities that dont require these. Taking an extra A level isnt going to help you

I have just checked Bath dont accept a BTEC for its Maths course but Exeter do and this is their requirement.

BTEC DDD Applicants studying a BTEC Extended Diploma will also require GCE AL Maths grade A
Reply 6
I have just checked Bath dont accept a BTEC for its Maths course but Exeter do and this is their requirement.

BTEC DDD Applicants studying a BTEC Extended Diploma will also require GCE AL Maths grade A

Bath will accept a BTECs / CTECs alongside A levels for Maths :
A*A in A level Mathematics and Further Mathematics, plus D in the BTEC National Extended Certificate (RQF) OR the Cambridge Technical Extended Certificate (RQF) - and 'may not insist on FM' - so email the Uni and check.
Reply 7
Thanks for all the help everyone, I really appreciate it and has really helped with my research. And yes not sure why I wrote OCR?! (It’s National)
Original post by McGinger
Bath will accept a BTECs / CTECs alongside A levels for Maths :
A*A in A level Mathematics and Further Mathematics, plus D in the BTEC National Extended Certificate (RQF) OR the Cambridge Technical Extended Certificate (RQF) - and 'may not insist on FM' - so email the Uni and check.

This was taken off the Bsc Maths course
BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (RQF)

BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (RQF) are not a suitable route for this course.

It also shows this
Further Mathematics A level

You must study Further Mathematics to be considered for this course. We strongly prefer students with Further Maths at A level, but can consider you with an AS level if you perform suitably in an additional maths test.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 9
This was taken off the Bsc Maths course

See 'Combinations of Qualifications' towards the end of the entry requirements - https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2023/mathematical-sciences/bsc-mathematics/#entry-requirements - different info.
Original post by McGinger
See 'Combinations of Qualifications' towards the end of the entry requirements - https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2023/mathematical-sciences/bsc-mathematics/#entry-requirements - different info.

But this is different to what it says earlier and this relates to the extended certificate not the extended diploma. Maybe Bath should make things clearer.

A*A in A level Mathematics and Further Mathematics, plus D in the BTEC National Extended Certificate (RQF) OR the Cambridge Technical Extended Certificate (RQF)

Pearson Edexcel BTEC Typical offer

Unfortunately BTEC Level 3 Extended Diplomas (QCF)/ BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (RQF) are not a suitable route for this course.
Hi!
Thanks!

At Lancaster University, BTEC is accepted alongside A level Mathematics and Further Mathematics. That means if you want to go there, your other A-Level needs to be Further Mathematics rather than Chem.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest