The Student Room Group

Further maths

Hi there, I’m trying to complete an AS in further maths edexcel as I’m going to study for it over the summer. I want to know if it’s possible to do an AS in further maths edexcel because some people say it’s linear and if it is possible to do an AS in further maths, how many options are needed?
Reply 1
Hello,

It’s absolutely possible to do so.

The catch is that the content is easy to learn but the application of the content (in exam questions) can be incredibly difficult.

This website helped me tremendously with further maths back when i was in sixth form: https://www.madasmaths.com
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by bxaanca
Hello,

The catch is that the content is easy to learn but the application of the content (in exam questions) can be incredibly difficult.

This website helped me tremendously with further maths back when i was in sixth form: https://www.madasmaths.com

Hi thank you so much for replying, what books do you recommend for further maths edexcel for pure and stats. Also how many type of maths needs to be selected to achieve an AS in further maths edexcel?
Reply 3
Original post by lukeanimin
Hi thank you so much for replying, what books do you recommend for further maths edexcel for pure and stats. Also how many type of maths needs to be selected to achieve an AS in further maths edexcel?

Hello,
I recommend that you get the official Edexcel textbooks to help you learn the content, and MadasMaths for exam question practice. Depending on your work ethic you could teach yourself everything within the span of 1 month to 1 year.
Reply 4
Original post by bxaanca
Hello,

No, it's out-of-date and there are far better now.
Reply 5

Look at the specification. https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/specification-and-sample-assesment/as-l3-further-mathematics-specification.pdf

These are the best resources: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=352 [Pick the right combination]
Reply 6

Hello i definitely recommend you to get the official further math edexcel math's book. They very VERY good as they have tons of examples and question. After that tho you should do past papers since although some of the questions are hard compared to the actually past papers they pretty easy depending on the topic.
Reply 7

The madasmaths website has extremely good questions that help to accelerate learning in terms of how to apply Further Maths knowledge.

After I did the difficult questions from that site I saw no more struggle with my schoolwork.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by bxaanca
The madasmaths website has extremely good questions that help to accelerate learning in terms of how to apply Further Maths knowledge.

After I did the difficult questions from that site I saw no more struggle with my schoolwork.

It hasn't been updated since the guy who wrote the materials died - it's not the best anymore. How long ago did you take your A level?
Reply 9
Original post by Rainyzack
Hello i definitely recommend you to get the official further math edexcel math's book. They very VERY good as they have tons of examples and question. After that tho you should do past papers since although some of the questions are hard compared to the actually past papers they pretty easy depending on the topic.

Hi thanks for replying, could you send me a picture of the book if possible
Reply 10
Original post by Muttley79
It hasn't been updated since the guy who wrote the materials died - it's not the best anymore. How long ago did you take your A level?

He only died a couple of years ago, and so he did make questions for the new spec.

I took my A Level in 2021, and even though he has already died it doesn’t change the theory itself that is being taught. And so the practice questions he made are not redundant.
Original post by bxaanca
He only died a couple of years ago, and so he did make questions for the new spec.

I took my A Level in 2021, and even though he has already died it doesn’t change the theory itself that is being taught. And so the practice questions he made are not redundant.

They are not as good as you find elsewhere - I teach Maths in a school where many get A* - we don't use it anymore.
IMG_8511.jpeg
Hi thanks for replying, could you send me a picture of the book if possible

These are the books. There is also an A2 version of these books if you plan on doing that as well

Quick Reply

Latest