The Student Room Group

DSA assesment cost £720!

Like the title says, the dsa assesment is £720! It really blew me away, I enquired about getting private CBT sessions as there is a year wait on the NHS in my area, private sessions cost around £40 a go but they said the cost is too high! The £720 comes direcrly out of the DSA funding you receive. Seems like another Student Finance England sicko joke.

Does anyone know where that £720 goes? Thats almost 20 CBT sessions which is way more than I need.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's the cost of providing someone to assess you and type up the report. The room may have to be hired and there might be travel costs involved for the person assessing you.
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
It's the cost of providing someone to assess you and type up the report. The room may have to be hired and there might be travel costs involved for the person assessing you.

Nah, its 15 mins at the uni, 3 other guys in my house have had it done as well. One of them already had his Dyslexia assesment at college so all he did was take it with him and hand it over. Even if what you say is true £720 is hard to justify, where would the person be traveling from the moon? The report is significant but no more than a couple of hours work. Obviously it depends on the level of assessment, a fresh Dyslexia test is a couple of hours but a blanket cost of £720 seems rather unethical especially given different conditions require a different level of involvement and testing. Plus expenses should be claimed when needed not just given as standard.

As a comparison, a Doctor working a 9 hour night shift on call to Police custody earns £500 and claims 40p a mile in petrol, averages about £650 a shift and they are a highly qualified person working in a dangerous situation at night time.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by r4dly
Nah, its 15 mins at the uni, 3 other guys in my house have had it done as well. One of them already had his Dyslexia assesment at college so all he did was take it with him and hand it over. Even if what you say is true £720 is hard to justify, where would the person be traveling from the moon? The report is significant but no more than a couple of hours work. Obviously it depends on the level of assessment, a fresh Dyslexia test is a couple of hours but a blanket cost of £720 seems rather unethical especially given different conditions require a different level of involvement and testing. Plus expenses should be claimed when needed not just given as standard.

As a comparison, a Doctor working a 9 hour night shift on call to Police custody earns £500 and claims 40p a mile in petrol, averages about £650 a shift and they are a highly qualified person working in a dangerous situation at night time.

I know it sounds like a lot, but it doesn't really come from you so try not to let it bother you. They aren't going to take away your treatment because of it. It's just how it's said. A good assessor will also have a knowledge of the specific help a person needs just based on a short interaction and a condition name. It's pretty skilled if you ask me. Doesn't quite seem like £700 for a few minuets good, but there is still a lot that goes into it. I believe it also covers all the costs of arranging things and all that behind the scenes stuff so that's a bit more. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by r4dly
The £720 comes direcrly out of the DSA funding you receive.

No, that £720 is *added* to the value of DSA services and equipment that you receive. It is not taking anything away from you. You don't have to pay it, so I wouldn't stress over it.
Original post by r4dly

The assessments aren't 15 minutes long. I've had 2 assessments and mine have both been at least one hour, IIRC.
Reply 6
Original post by r4dly
The £720 comes direcrly out of the DSA funding you receive.

And for the record, DSA does not give you any money unless it is to reimburse things like pre-agreed travelling expenses (which you must already have paid). DSA provides extra facilities, services and equipment (or recommends that your uni provides them) not extra money.

It will also not help with the costs of any medical treatment which you would have needed if you weren't a student.
Reply 7
Original post by Klix88
And for the record, DSA does not give you any money unless it is to reimburse things like pre-agreed travelling expenses (which you must already have paid). DSA provides extra facilities, services and equipment (or recommends that your uni provides them) not extra money.

It will also not help with the costs of any medical treatment which you would have needed if you weren't a student.

Thats my point, CBT waiting list on the NHS is a year long and I need it, so why can't you get that through DSA? My assesment is for Anxiety, depression, agorophobia and insomnia. I don't really need equipment I need treatment.
Original post by r4dly
Thats my point, CBT waiting list on the NHS is a year long and I need it, so why can't you get that through DSA? My assesment is for Anxiety, depression, agorophobia and insomnia. I don't really need equipment I need treatment.

Because it's not a cost related to being a disabled student.
Reply 9
Original post by Tiger Rag
Because it's not a cost related to being a disabled student.

Thats a bit harsh, I can pay for my own treatment but thats not a cost related to being a disabled student? Mental disability may not require physical equipment but its still a disability.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by r4dly
Thats a bit harsh, I can pay for my own treatment but thats not a cost related to being a disabled student?

DSA is for equipment, not for treatment. The NHS or private is for that. I know it seems harsh, but that's how it is. :redface:
Reply 11
Original post by r4dly
Thats a bit harsh, I can pay for my own treatment but thats not a cost related to being a disabled student? Mental disability may not require physical equipment but its still a disability.

But you would have to pay this cost whether you are a student or not. You can only claim DSA for things that you only need as a result of being a student.
Reply 12
Original post by Airmed
DSA is for equipment, not for treatment. The NHS or private is for that. I know it seems harsh, but that's how it is. :redface:

Lol, so its not okay for a person with dyslexia to privately pay for a laptop and printer but it is okay for a person with a mental disability to privately pay for treatment, which is actually cheaper and potentially life changing. So much for mental health awareness. Surely the whole point of DSA is to support disabled students? Why the discrimination?
Reply 13
Original post by r4dly
Lol, so its not okay for a person with dyslexia to privately pay for a laptop and printer but it is okay for a person with a mental disability to privately pay for treatment, which is actually cheaper and potentially life changing. So much for mental health awareness. Surely the whole point of DSA is to support disabled students? Why the discrimination?

It's to support them academically, to make sure that they have the technology to complete their degree. It's not for treatment. I understand the frustration, because I get DSA myself, and I have been screwed around by the NHS, but I don't expect my student finance to pay for my treatment.

And for some people, like me, to pay for private treatment, would be a lot more expensive than the cost of my equipment.
Reply 14
Original post by Juno
But you would have to pay this cost whether you are a student or not. You can only claim DSA for things that you only need as a result of being a student.

Without going into too much detail my current position has been compounded by being a student, the rate of mental health disabilities experienced during education is much higher than the national average, a lot of press report have covered this recently including the mental health issues experienced by academics. So there is a very sound footing in the argument that students experience mental health issues as a result of being a student.
Original post by r4dly

People with dyslexia would have to pay a bit towards a laptop just like anyone else would it's £200. See it this way, I needed a laptop to study to don't need one now I m not in education (my dyslexia and dyspraxia hasn't changed at all but my needs have because of the environment I m in) , you feel you need that CBT regardless of being in education or not so they won't fund it,it's for extra things that you need because of being in education not what you need all the time because of your disability. What they can pay for it a mental health mentor for you to get basic support from whilst you re studying.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by r4dly

Why is it discrimination? No other disabled student gets it, why should you? I had my issues long before I went to uni. I get all the other benefits here which assist me as a student, but counselling etc doesn't come into it. That's what the NHS is for - it's not great but it's all there is.
Reply 17
Original post by Seamus123
Why is it discrimination? No other disabled student gets it, why should you? I had my issues long before I went to uni. I get all the other benefits here which assist me as a student, but counselling etc doesn't come into it. That's what the NHS is for - it's not great but it's all there is.

I had no issues before going to university, between SFE and Solent they really ****ed me up. As a mature student SFE take on your financial security and the Uni have a duty of care, both of these organisations failed miserably. I'm currently sitting the third year for the third time as direct result of the way these organisations operate and have failed to pass on information and exercise their duty of care.

Plus as I said the research suggests being a student cultivates mental health issues in those not supported correctly, any employer would treat you better than the university does. If this happened in the workplace the employer would be accountable.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Seamus123

Not me personally, between physical and mental health disabilites.... obviously.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by r4dly
As a mature student SFE take on your financial security

Mature students get SF on the same basis as other students. It is intended to be a contribution towards your uni life expenses, not to provide you with financial security. That remains your responsibility.

the Uni have a duty of care

Unis are academic organisations - there's only so much they can do for someone with health issues. The ultimate sanction is that they can declare you unfit to study and withdraw you from your course - being given three attempts at your third year is very unusual. Your health ultimately remains your own responsibility.

any employer would treat you better than the university does. If this happened in the workplace the employer would be accountable.

After spending 20+ years in the workplace, that's not the case. A former boyfriend was sacked over the summer because he took too much time off sick after nearly dropping dead from a brain haemorrhage. It can be brutal.

Quick Reply

Latest