The Student Room Group

How do I afford to live at uni???

I've been given an unconditional offer at Brighton and I was over the moon at first, but then I used the student finance calculator and it's saying I'm entitled to a £9k maintenance loan. The cheapest accommodation there is £166 a week, that's £664 a month, almost £8k a year. How do I feed myself? How the f**k do I live on £1k a year? I'm from a low-income family, I can't work due to disability reasons, I already get Universal Credit but I doubt I'd be able to afford to live still, let alone live comfortably. I don't know what to do, please help!

I would like to stress that I'm totally new to all of this and all the processes I have to go through to apply, UCAS alone was confusing to me. I don't know the reality of living at university yet so please be kind and offer any advice you can!
(edited 1 year ago)
Have you contacted Brighton to find out what support they offer? There may be bursaries, scholarships and aid available.

There’s also grants from charities you can sometimes apply for, might be worth speaking to a tutor at college if not the University student union directly for help. You won’t be the only person in the situation they’ll have dealt with it before.

If you are able there’s also part time work while you are studying you could do to help
Reply 2
I've been out of work for a while, basically mental health issues and my experience working there left me feeling dreadful haha, I could consider it but only as a last resort because it'd take a lot for me to get back into work as of right now.

Brighton offers one bursary that I might be eligible for, £500 at the start of each year. Not much when you add everything up, but it'd definitely help.

I'll ring Brighton tomorrow, feels like I'll get better help if I speak to them over the phone rather than email. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by pajamaland
I've been given an unconditional offer at Brighton and I was over the moon at first, but then I used the student finance calculator and it's saying I'm entitled to a £9k maintenance loan. The cheapest accommodation there is £166 a week, that's £664 a month, almost £8k a year. How do I feed myself? How the f**k do I live on £1k a year? I'm from a low-income family, I can't work due to disability reasons, I already get Universal Credit but I doubt I'd be able to afford to live still, let alone live comfortably. I don't know what to do, please help!

I would like to stress that I'm totally new to all of this and all the processes I have to go through to apply, UCAS alone was confusing to me. I don't know the reality of living at university yet so please be kind and offer any advice you can!

Looking at https://www.brighton.ac.uk/accommodation-and-locations/university-accommodation/index.aspx
the costs don't seem as high as that unless you have a 50-week tenancy.
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
Looking at https://www.brighton.ac.uk/accommodation-and-locations/university-accommodation/index.aspx
the costs don't seem as high as that unless you have a 50-week tenancy.

Okay, just realised I worked it out for a full year rather than 39 weeks... Ffs! Okay, so for their most expensive accom at Moulsecoomb it's £8,034, but I'm obviously not going to go for that!! So that's a little less... stressful, should average at around £6.5k a year for accom, leaving around £2.5k left to live on. That's soooo much better lmao. Hopefully if I still get Universal Credit at uni (which is a whole other kettle of fish I have no idea about) I should be able to live relatively comfortably :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Musical Cats
University students aren't eligible for universal credit as far as I'm aware. I'm currently on universal credit but not a student.

To get UC at uni I'd also need to be on PIP according to govuk. I'm eligible for PIP so I guess I have to apply.
Okay, just realised I worked it out for a full year rather than 39 weeks... Ffs! Okay, so for their most expensive accom at Moulsecoomb it's £8,034, but I'm obviously not going to go for that!! So that's a little less... stressful, should average at around £6.5k a year for accom, leaving around £2.5k left to live on. That's soooo much better lmao. Hopefully if I still get Universal Credit at uni (which is a whole other kettle of fish I have no idea about) I should be able to live relatively comfortably :smile:

There you go! 😃
Reply 8

Yes, I should be eligible for DSA, but I'm not entirely sure what that can cover? Govuk is really vague about it. Because I'm assuming they don't just give you the money?
Yes, I should be eligible for DSA, but I'm not entirely sure what that can cover? Govuk is really vague about it. Because I'm assuming they don't just give you the money?

As far as I can tell, DSA is for specific adjustments you might need, like travel costs or technology you'd need to study, unfortunately from the info I've found you cant use it for general living costs
Original post by Crunchie_Butt
As far as I can tell, DSA is for specific adjustments you might need, like travel costs or technology you'd need to study, unfortunately from the info I've found you cant use it for general living costs

DSA would definitely help for travel costs, Staffordshire to Brighton is quite a trek! Although at this point I'm waiting for my final decision to be made, I've had offers from South Wales, Brighton and Staffordshire and I'm just waiting for York St John to get back to me now. I'll probably end up in York at this rate, living costs seem much more affordable down there compared to Brighton. Fingers crossed!
Reply 11

I completely agree, I really love Brighton. But the accomadation I want to stay at, Mithras house is £210 a week, I have no idea how on earth to afford it. Especially as my maintenance loan said, I could only get roughly £7,000 for the year. So I'm going to need another 1,000 from somewhere 😂 it's so expensive!
The best solution to the problem for me was accepting another offer. I decided to go to York St. John instead, fell in love with the area and the campus tbh. Good luck though! You're going to need it with this cost of living crisis...
Reply 13
The best solution to the problem for me was accepting another offer. I decided to go to York St. John instead, fell in love with the area and the campus tbh. Good luck though! You're going to need it with this cost of living crisis...

I looked into it, Varley park seems like a good place. But I take it you've given up with Brighton? If you haven't I suggest looking into Varley park, it's much cheaper. Though it's just a little over a half hour walk from the campus, there is a bus but I don't know how expensive it is. I think they put out a free bus for students, it didn't say if it was still going in September 2023

Did you end up applying for DSA? I had my assessment recently and I really suggest going for it
Already been accepted for my firm offer @ York, so yeah I've given up with Brighton. It was a logistical challenge too, four hours away, expensive by train, just a whole mess unfortunately.

Original post by Flozzz
I looked into it, Varley park seems like a good place. But I take it you've given up with Brighton? If you haven't I suggest looking into Varley park, it's much cheaper. Though it's just a little over a half hour walk from the campus, there is a bus but I don't know how expensive it is. I think they put out a free bus for students, it didn't say if it was still going in September 2023
Original post by Crunchie_Butt
Did you end up applying for DSA? I had my assessment recently and I really suggest going for it

I applied yeah I think, but they're still reviewing my evidence

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending