The Student Room Group

IB Geography Discussion

Hi Guys! it's been a while since anyone made a geography thread.

Just wondering what case studies you guys are going to study?
Does anybody have the 2011-2012 syllabus?
Anyone has details on the new format?
How are you guys studying? tips? ideas?

HELP ME I AM DYING!!!
Goodluck with your IB exams! it all starts in 6 days...

Scroll to see replies

I need the same things, and I've got my reals in like a week! (probably you too?) anyway, for case studies it really depends on the topic, personally I BS a lot inventing data that sound reasonable... I' not worried that much about paper 1 cos it's mostly common sense, especially for the population in transition part, I'm more worried about the options... which ones are you doing?
Reply 2
I AM DYING TOO!!!!! :frown: I really am. I've never felt so stressed out in my life! I've made a case study profile sort of thing for paper 1 and 2, though Globalization will be the death of me.

Doing the China case study for anti-natalist policies, Singapore for pro-natalist, Japan for ageing population, and India for young population. For resource consumption I have only one case study, the Middle East oil part. Biodiversity and all is taken care of because I've covered that in detail in EVSS.

Anyone have any study tips for P3 Globalization (HL)? Please, I REALLY need help with that! I wrote utter crap for my mocks, and everyone in my geography HL class takes Eco so it's a breeze for them! But not me...
I'm sorry I'm not in HL...I dont do economics either and I'm **** at that part about Export Processing Zones etc... hopefully there wont be any such question... anyway, which books are you guys using? I use the IB guide by Nagle&Cooke for general knowledge and Codrington for case studies...

@saaki Im using the same case studies, but I dont have the syllabus, so I m doing a bunch of case studies for almost every subtopic... like what are you using for internal forced migration?
Reply 4
I think there's quite a few case studies we have to know right?

for the core my main case studies are:
youthful population- gambia; ageing population - japan; pro-natalist policy - singapore; anti-natalist - kerala, india; international migration - rwanda; internal migration - poland; soil degradation - india; water shortages - australia; rainforest - brazil; sustainable management of environment - iceland; oil disaster - exon valdez

have you done any mocks? the new format is that there is a section on each of the core chapters (populations in transition, disparities in wealth and development, patterns in enviro quality and sustainability, patterns in resource consumption), which sometimes have data or define questions in with a couple of longer 4/6 mark questions, and then at the end of the paper is a general 15 mark essay (I think you pick from a choice of 3 or 4)

I generally revise by writing out my notes, then getting a bit sheet of a3 for each chapter and writing out everything I can remember, before adding the stuff I forgot in a different colour.

hope that helped! :smile:
Reply 5
nobody's gonna check the accuracy of the data u put in the exam, so relax......... just make something up, i mean, reasonably
Reply 6
Original post by TTGenius
nobody's gonna check the accuracy of the data u put in the exam, so relax......... just make something up, i mean, reasonably

That's what I've been doing for the past two years... making up dates, figures, etc, etc, just making up the details about case studies that I only vaguely know of. But I'm pretty sure the IB checks for accuracy?? I mean if you say 1971 instead of 1975 I think you're OK but not 1995 instead of 1975? Or say an earthquake magnitude of 7.1 when it was actually 5.4?

I really don't want to run the risk of losing marks for inaccuracy and making up stuff.
Reply 7
Original post by saachi
That's what I've been doing for the past two years... making up dates, figures, etc, etc, just making up the details about case studies that I only vaguely know of. But I'm pretty sure the IB checks for accuracy?? I mean if you say 1971 instead of 1975 I think you're OK but not 1995 instead of 1975? Or say an earthquake magnitude of 7.1 when it was actually 5.4?

I really don't want to run the risk of losing marks for inaccuracy and making up stuff.

of course u don't make up everything, that's why I said "reasonably" man..
it will be ridiculous to say there is an earthquake in London, May 2nd 2012, which killed 10 million people right??????????????????????????//

I don't see the point of remembering exact values. Just gland through, know everything vaguely is enough.

and btw, things like birth rate, death rate, water consumption, can be completely made up.

my teacher is an examiner, he told me he only checks data by common sense, so...

good luck
Reply 8
of course u don't make up everything, that's why I said "reasonably" man..
it will be ridiculous to say there is an earthquake in London, May 2nd 2012, which killed 10 million people right??????????????????????????//

I don't see the point of remembering exact values. Just gland through, know everything vaguely is enough.

and btw, things like birth rate, death rate, water consumption, can be completely made up.

my teacher is an examiner, he told me he only checks data by common sense, so...

good luck

I wasn't planning on writing a case study as stupid as that :rolleyes: I said case studies I vaguely know of, meaning I know what decade and century it happened, which country, which region, and relative basic info but not details.

For example if the death toll of a particular disaster was 150, 000, is it OK to say over 100, 100? Well anyway. I'm going to learn my case studies as well as I can but if I don't remember the exact figure then I'm going to make an esitmate.
Reply 9
Original post by saachi
I wasn't planning on writing a case study as stupid as that :rolleyes: I said case studies I vaguely know of, meaning I know what decade and century it happened, which country, which region, and relative basic info but not details.

For example if the death toll of a particular disaster was 150, 000, is it OK to say over 100, 100? Well anyway. I'm going to learn my case studies as well as I can but if I don't remember the exact figure then I'm going to make an esitmate.

yeah, just joking, of course.

i think it's fine to say 100,000, or like more than 100,000, which will be better.
did u do English P1 today???
Reply 10
yeah, just joking, of course.

i think it's fine to say 100,000, or like more than 100,000, which will be better.
did u do English P1 today???

Yes, but we're not allowed to discuss until 24 hours have passed! But I'll say this, it was difficult, I didn't do as well as I could have. Good luck for Math tomorrow, I know I'm going to need it! :redface:

Geography P1 day after, brace yourselves!
Reply 11
Original post by saachi
Yes, but we're not allowed to discuss until 24 hours have passed! But I'll say this, it was difficult, I didn't do as well as I could have. Good luck for Math tomorrow, I know I'm going to need it! :redface:

Geography P1 day after, brace yourselves!

haha
what's your predicted overall???
Ok, geo p1, common sense. i got that, but i'm worried about freaking fourth chapter, I know nothing about... But I'm not sure I'll survive after math exam, so that's fine, I'll probably die before Geo day comes
Reply 13
haha
what's your predicted overall???

38. But only because my IBC had a lot of faith in me :tongue:

I got 33 at the end of year one without bonus, but at the time my predicted grades went off I was getting 35 (nearly 36) without bonus and my TOK and EE are pretty good so maybe, at the time, 38 was quite likely.

Now, however, I just want to make my offer, which is 34.
Reply 14
Original post by KeelyEverywhere
Ok, geo p1, common sense. i got that, but i'm worried about freaking fourth chapter, I know nothing about... But I'm not sure I'll survive after math exam, so that's fine, I'll probably die before Geo day comes

cheer uuuuuuup man, what's 4th chapter??? energy resource kind of stuff???
Reply 15
Original post by KeelyEverywhere

It's okay, calm down :tongue:

Patterns in Resource Consumption isn't that hard. I mean, okay, it's probably the hardest of them all, but just learn up your biodiversity/ waste disposal/ Middle- East oil case studies and you should be fine! Oh and one for water too. Plus for the essay type question you can always choose another topic.

But yeah I feel the same way about math :frown:
Reply 16
would it be a good or bad idea to not study the topics that came up for the 2011 exam and the specimen paper?? there is just so much to know!
Reply 17
Original post by saachi
38. But only because my IBC had a lot of faith in me :tongue:

I got 33 at the end of year one without bonus, but at the time my predicted grades went off I was getting 35 (nearly 36) without bonus and my TOK and EE are pretty good so maybe, at the time, 38 was quite likely.

Now, however, I just want to make my offer, which is 34.

should be more confident... have some faith on yourself.....
an offer of 34 is really nice..
Reply 18
how do u guys feel about p3? Globalization kind of ****
paper 1 tomorrow guys!! good luck with that :biggrin: I'm just reading reading reading and trying to memorize as much as I can!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending