The Student Room Group

Geography vs Economics A level choices

My other subjects are Physics, Maths & further maths. I would probably want to do an engineering/physics degree at uni, maybe econ, definitely not geography, but more because of job prospects rather than interests. Here are the pros and cons as I see it, please give any advice or thoughts if you are a student of either, or just any comments.

Econ:
+Might want to do econ at uni - would help me do it, or at least decide whether i want to do econ at uni at all
+Seems to be more respected

- Could be boring
- Risk - I've never done econ before, but I'm good at and like geography

Geography:
+I already know I like it and am good at it (8 in gcse mocks)
+Seems more interesting to me
+Facillitating

- Not sure how i would do with the NEA
- Softer subject (?)
- Not relevant to a degree i would want to do

Basically, I feel I want to do geography, but i feel i should do economics. If i could choose to have an A* in either instantly i would choose economics, if i had to choose purely based on interest i would choose geography. But i do prefer human geography to physical so maybe i would like econ?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by ethantoal
My other subjects are Physics, Maths & further maths. I would probably want to do an engineering/physics degree at uni, maybe econ, definitely not geography, but more because of job prospects rather than interests. Here are the pros and cons as I see it, please give any advice or thoughts if you are a student of either, or just any comments.

Econ:
+Might want to do econ at uni - would help me do it, or at least decide whether i want to do econ at uni at all

- Could be boring

Geography:
+Facillitating

- Softer subject (?)

Basically, I feel I want to do geography, but i feel i should do economics. If i could choose to have an A* in either instantly i would choose economics, if i had to choose purely based on interest i would choose geography. But i do prefer human geography to physical so maybe i would like econ?

Hello I don't have geography in A levels but I do know that it's an interesting subject. I have economics in A levels and I didn't even have ANY idea about what economics is like, let alone having it in international GCSE. And now it's my favourite subject (hoping to study econ in uni!).
If you like learning how the world works or if you wanna make sense of the stuff that you see on the news about different countries then I would recommend you to choose economics. It's not boring for me at all. But obviously everyone has different choices. You might wanna look into the economics specification in A levels. Or if you wanna be more sure then maybe you can check out econplusdal on YouTube and he has videos that helped a lot of students get A or A* in A levels so you can just watch a video of his to get an idea about what economics is like.

Anyway, I can't make the choice for you. And if you study economics in uni, then you don't really need economics in A levels coz the main thing in an econ degree is maths. If you think that physics, maths and further maths are too mathematical for you then geography may help to make A levels more fun for you.

Good luck!

Econ:

- Could be boring

Geography:
+Facillitating

- Softer subject (?)

Economics | Undergraduate Study (cam.ac.uk)

Typical Economics entrants (A Level and IB)
[start]For 2017, 2018, and 2019 entry, the majority of entrants from an A Level background achieved at least grades AAA* (87% of entrants). These successful applicants typically took Economics (93%) or Further Mathematics (93%), with 86% taking both. For the same period, the majority of IB entrants achieved at least 44 points overall and/or grades 777 at Higher Level.[/start]
[start]This information is intended to give you a sense of the academic standard of our typical A Level entrants. We welcome applicants from a range of qualification backgrounds.[/start]
Reply 4
Original post by NazifaNawer
Hello I don't have geography in A levels but I do know that it's an interesting subject. I have economics in A levels and I didn't even have ANY idea about what economics is like, let alone having it in international GCSE. And now it's my favourite subject (hoping to study econ in uni!).
If you like learning how the world works or if you wanna make sense of the stuff that you see on the news about different countries then I would recommend you to choose economics. It's not boring for me at all. But obviously everyone has different choices. You might wanna look into the economics specification in A levels. Or if you wanna be more sure then maybe you can check out econplusdal on YouTube and he has videos that helped a lot of students get A or A* in A levels so you can just watch a video of his to get an idea about what economics is like.

Anyway, I can't make the choice for you. And if you study economics in uni, then you don't really need economics in A levels coz the main thing in an econ degree is maths. If you think that physics, maths and further maths are too mathematical for you then geography may help to make A levels more fun for you.

Good luck!

Thanks for the response. Human geography is my favourite part of geography so maybe economics won't be as boring as I think. but there seems to be lots of graphs which doesn't exactly look exciting. I'll have a look at that youtube channel to get a feel for the subject.
I've heard that the a-level economics is more essay based whereas at uni it's a lot more maths based (for a BSc at least) so economics at A level might not matter too much for uni admissions.
Original post by NazifaNawer

Good luck!

Thanks for the response. Human geography is my favourite part of geography so maybe economics won't be as boring as I think. but there seems to be lots of graphs which doesn't exactly look exciting. I'll have a look at that youtube channel to get a feel for the subject.
I've heard that the a-level economics is more essay based whereas at uni it's a lot more maths based (for a BSc at least) so economics at A level might not matter too much for uni admissions.

Yes human geography and economics have got some similarities. And the graphs in A level econ aren't hard for me (I kinda like the graphs), and this is coming from a person who doesn't even have maths in A levels and hated maths back in international GCSE.

Exactly. You have heard the right thing about the difference between A level econ and uni econ. Also, from what I have heard, BA and BSc economics may be the same for some unis for example the econ in Oxbridge are BA econ.
Reply 6
do econ. an 8 in geo is good but like for a level you’ll be surrounded by ppl who got 9s. also if you wanna do econ why even consider geo. worst case scenario drop fm or physics and do both econ and geo but that’s two essay subjects. i also wanna do econ and uni and funnily enough i also wanna take maths fm econ and physics. but like take what you want i can’t choose for you
Reply 7
Original post by httpluuv
do econ. an 8 in geo is good but like for a level you’ll be surrounded by ppl who got 9s. also if you wanna do econ why even consider geo. worst case scenario drop fm or physics and do both econ and geo but that’s two essay subjects. i also wanna do econ and uni and funnily enough i also wanna take maths fm econ and physics. but like take what you want i can’t choose for you

it is definitely not the case that everyone doing a-level geog got 9s. there is such little difference in skill/understanding between an 8 and a 9 anyway? just depends if you got lucky with the questions that came up at that point.
Reply 8
Original post by beaaa171

it is definitely not the case that everyone doing a-level geog got 9s. there is such little difference in skill/understanding between an 8 and a 9 anyway? just depends if you got lucky with the questions that came up at that point.

idk i go to a grammar schl so anything below a 9 teachers tell us not to take the subject
Reply 9
Original post by httpluuv
idk i go to a grammar schl so anything below a 9 teachers tell us not to take the subject

i also go to a grammar school and the requirement to take geography at a-level is a 6. your teachers don’t sound very encouraging!
Reply 10
Original post by beaaa171

i also go to a grammar school and the requirement to take geography at a-level is a 6. your teachers don’t sound very encouraging!

yeah no. my teachers are encouraging and the minimum requirement for geography a level is a 7, but it’s harder to get As and A* grades with only a 7 so they recommend only taking it with 8s or 9s
Econ:
- Could be boring
Geography:
+Facillitating
- Softer subject (?)
Hi! I did both of these at A level and now do geography with economics at LSE lol. econ and geography have a lot of cross overs during A levels, particularly for macroeconomics vs human geography. I just wanted to say that btw econ level won't really add anything to your job prospects and its not really useful for an econ degree at all. maths and further maths that you do are much more similar to what you do at uni for econ. I think if you are looking to do well as the main goal you need to think about is your skills. geography level is obvs like 90% essays, where's a good proportion of econ level is short answer questions where its more maths and yes no question focussed. I would just do what you think you will score best in as realistically neither one of geography vs econ level is better for job prospects.
Reply 12
Hi all & @amberlily051 would really appreciate some general advice too on best a-level subject combo for a econ/int’l relations type degree programme. I’ll be starting a-levels this autumn. Currently I am contemplating Maths, Economics, German (AS) but torn between Geography & History. Welcome thoughts, particularly on humanity subjects. Many thanks in advance
Original post by Saag86
Hi all & @amberlily051 would really appreciate some general advice too on best a-level subject combo for a econ/int’l relations type degree programme. I’ll be starting a-levels this autumn. Currently I am contemplating Maths, Economics, German (AS) but torn between Geography & History. Welcome thoughts, particularly on humanity subjects. Many thanks in advance
geography and history are both equally respected and since you're not considering either of them for a degree I dont think it really matters. just pick what you think you'll do best in

Quick Reply

Latest