The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

granddad_bob
and if i was to change courses i'd have to give the impression i actually care about academic study, which i kinda don't.

wth.. many would give up an arm to be in your position!
Reply 141
boygenius
what's all this stuff got to do with mitosis? stop depriving people from learning.

Well, yes - the thread has gone off topic, but who cares? The same people are still participating and the original poster's questions have been answered.

Ben
Jack Schitt
but with the recent decline in chemistry (eg closure of Exeter's department), surely chemists would be even more in demand - in industry

in theory, yes. but the problem with chemistry seems to only be at undergraduate level. postgrad - at oxford anyway - is still very popular, and increased competition is coming from student with physics and biochemistry degrees wanting to break in the chemical industry and chemical manufacturing, which is still going pretty strong.
Jack Schitt
wth.. many would give up an arm to be in your position!

i don't know why it's that shocking, just because i happen to go to a top university dosen't mean i'm any more dedicated or motivated from someone from a less well known university. like the majority of student, i'm here to get pissed and hopefully come out after 4 years with a decent degree classification; i don't love my subject more than the next guy.
Reply 144
granddad_bob
i don't know why it's that shocking, just because i happen to go to a top university dosen't mean i'm any more dedicated or motivated from someone from a less well known university. like the majority of student, i'm here to get pissed and hopefully come out after 4 years with a decent degree classification; i don't love my subject more than the next guy.

honest and probably reflective of the true nature of studentdom :biggrin:
Reply 145
granddad_bob
well, obviously, and of course with the decline in chemistry departments across the country their's more competition for positions. but for every superstar chemist who actually does something useful, hundreds of others sit around university departments doing a bit here and a bit there, but nothing of any importance. basically, if you're willing to help out, doing lectures and taking classes; your live will be alot easier than the out-an-out researchers.

well no, even superstar chemists don't necessarily do anything useful, they could just be good at giving the impression that they do :biggrin: :wink:
Reply 146
granddad_bob
academia is a real safe haven, though. the pays crap and the work - in the most part - is as boring as hell, but at least you've a job for life.

I think you've been misinformed! Academia - not safe, certainly not a job for life anymore! Even if you get a 'perminant' position, you still have to go up for tenure every 5 years.
Reply 147
MadNatSci
Not very fast, in all honesty; mitosis itself takes half an hour from start to finish, so I'd imagine (this is pure, unadulterated guesswork) that anaphase takes about 15 mins.

Not sure if this has already been said since I can't be bothered to read the entire thread but both metaphase and anaphase take only about 5 minutes each. The longest stage of mitosis is prohase and then telophase. You are correct in that mitosis as a whole takes about 1 hour to complete.
Fluffy
I think you've been misinformed! Academia - not safe, certainly not a job for life anymore! Even if you get a 'perminant' position, you still have to go up for tenure every 5 years.

must just be chemistry, then. i certainly don't haven't heard of chemists at oxford being thrown out too often.
NikNak
Not sure if this has already been said since I can't be bothered to read the entire thread but both metaphase and anaphase take only about 5 minutes each. The longest stage of mitosis is prohase and then telophase. You are correct in that mitosis as a whole takes about 1 hour to complete.

Ta - as I said, I was guessing completely about the time for each individual bit!
Reply 150
granddad_bob
must just be chemistry, then. i certainly don't haven't heard of chemists at oxford being thrown out too often.

Nope - you don't get thrown out. Your contract ends and you move on. I did 4 years of research at Oxford - D.Phil and post-doc. Not chem, but had friends in the Chem dept.
Reply 151
granddad_bob

that because most of them probably work hard to make sure they don't get chucked out :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending