The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

In gcse I didn't care at all about my grades, I got a C in english, this grade really gives me nightmares, can i get into medicine with a C in english? All my gcse maths + sciences are A's.

My teacher said Universities may straight reject me because of that C, so I've been a bit stressed past few days.

A levels I'm doing are: Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Religious Studies.
My jan exams got me AAB respectively in Maths,Bio and Chem. Chem was really close so not worrying about getting a B overall in summer, as long as my preparation goes well it should be raised to an A. Religious Studies I sit in summer and I think I'm on my way for an A in that aswell.

Just that stupid C in gcse English, can I make it?
No ****ing way if you got a C in English. You need a minimum of a B in English. Then again you can only afford to get A*s and A's in your A-Levels to get in. Plus a very high UKCAT/BMAT score is extremely important. Anyway Good Luck! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
It is unlikely with a C in english, perhaps if you were to retake it you may have a chance, i'm not sure if medical schools allow gcse retakes though. What you must aim to do is get a very good UKCAT score, that will help you secure an interview at medical school.
For some medical schools GCSE's are extremely important, e.g Birmingham and Cardiff...
I wouldn't say its impossible but I believe nearly all or all medical schools have a min requirement of B in GCSE english?
If you are seriously considering a career in medicine, complete your UKCAT, and call up medical schools to see if they are likely to invite a candidate in your position to the interview stage...
Do the all the necessary work exp aswell
Good luck! :smile:
Original post by dotdotdotdot

I agree that the only issue so far may be the C - what unis are you aiming for?
However, some only require a C:
Aberdeen, Durham, Leicester, Peninsula and Sheffield.

Investigate how these unis select interviewees e.g. use UKCAT strictly (like Sheffield) or prefer a perfect PS etc. Then see if you have a chance. That C does limit your options but it is worth a shot anyway!

[Source - TSR Medical School GCSE Requirements Wiki]
Original post by TheNightmare
No ****ing way if you got a C in English. You need a minimum of a B in English. Then again you can only afford to get A*s and A's in your A-Levels to get in. Plus a very high UKCAT/BMAT score is extremely important. Anyway Good Luck! :smile:

I think maths and religious could be converted into A*'s at A2.
Biology I'm unsure of, A definitely, A* slight chance.
Chemistry - A probably, A* no chance lol.
Original post by Alexandra's Box
I agree that the only issue so far may be the C - what unis are you aiming for?
However, some only require a C:
Aberdeen, Durham, Leicester, Peninsula and Sheffield.

Investigate how these unis select interviewees e.g. use UKCAT strictly (like Sheffield) or prefer a perfect PS etc. Then see if you have a chance. That C does limit your options but it is worth a shot anyway!

[Source - TSR Medical School GCSE Requirements Wiki]

Thanks I will investigate.
Reply 7506
In gcse I didn't care at all about my grades, I got a C in english, this grade really gives me nightmares, can i get into medicine with a C in english? All my gcse maths + sciences are A's.

My teacher said Universities may straight reject me because of that C, so I've been a bit stressed past few days.

A levels I'm doing are: Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Religious Studies.
My jan exams got me AAB respectively in Maths,Bio and Chem. Chem was really close so not worrying about getting a B overall in summer, as long as my preparation goes well it should be raised to an A. Religious Studies I sit in summer and I think I'm on my way for an A in that aswell.

As many have said already, It will seriously hinder your chances. However some universities allow you to resit to get the English up to a B. my friend got interviews at Liverpool and St Georges after resitting his english so it's pretty doable :smile:
Original post by myyrh
As many have said already, It will seriously hinder your chances. However some universities allow you to resit to get the English up to a B. my friend got interviews at Liverpool and St Georges after resitting his english so it's pretty doable :smile:

:smile: THX for the info :smile:

Well biology and chemistry first. There's no issues with not getting A* (they don't really have that much of an effect ) , but if there's any chance you struggle to get all As at AS, I would drop one of Maths and RS to try and get the three As as a minimum.

hmm....... A* maths would be great, but if you can bio and chem A* then that would be superb, especially chemistry. But the lowest you can afford to get is 4 A's. Aim for at least 3A*A. Even if you miss one you would have 2A*2A's which is fantastic. So aim high (really really high) even if you mess up slightly in one or two modules you can get still get a good enough grade. Anyway good luck, revise hard! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7510
hey i received a C and retook it to get a B. i haven't got into medical school yet but southampton definitely allow retakes and I sure C grades too.
This link may help, although someone has already mentioned the universities that allow a C.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements
Reply 7512
Currently I’m studying Chemical engineering Student (20yrs) , I wish to study medicine and applied this year but didn't get into southampton and don't have much hope elsewhere.

Next year i will be applying for Both 5yr and 4yr courses

below are my academics,

GCSE: 4A* 3A 3B 1C

A-Levels
Chem: A
Bio : B
Electronics : A
Maths: A

Also on first Attempt of GCSE English Language I did pass by achieving a Grade C however to improve I retook it to achieve Grade B. Is this satisfactory?

W/E & Extra circ
Maths Tutor for a few weeks teaching GCSE Maths
Pizza Hut
Shadowing GPs
Sat in a PBL session held at GP
Care home voluntary work
Debating classes
Perfoming Dramas on streets across UK
Rock climbing & and few other outdoor sports

Will probably sort some voluntary work at a hospital soon enough.

Is grade B in biology, acceptable ? for 4yr or 5yr ? or do I need an A grade in biology to meet entry criteria.

I hear grad entrys are really tough and haven't seen many many engineering students apply so don't know what my chances are at all....

Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks.
Reply 7513
Original post by mrshinyshoes
I'm guessing you're trolling you don't need anywhere near 9, birmingham needs 6 but most need like around 3.

Birmingham needs more than 6, last year (2010 cycle) people were rejected for having 7.5 (short course RS) and told very clearly in feedback "you need at least 8A*'s".

But to the poster, you can get into plenty of places with normal GCSE's :smile:
Hi everyone. I'm looking at applying to study medicine at university soon, but i'm worried my GCSE results will stop me from being accepted. Do you think they are good enough?
Maths: B
English language: A
English literature: A
Biology: A*
Chemistry: A
Physics: A
DIDA (ICT): BBB
RE- A
Child development- A
Dance- A*
Spanish A
............. Thanks! :smile:
Original post by bm_sewell
Hi everyone. I'm looking at applying to study medicine at university soon, but i'm worried my GCSE results will stop me from being accepted. Do you think they are good enough?
Maths: B
English language: A
English literature: A
Biology: A*
Chemistry: A
Physics: A
DIDA (ICT): BBB
RE- A
Child development- A
Dance- A*
Spanish A
............. Thanks! :smile:

As long as you apply tactically and read up on admissions to see what they want, you'll be fine. For example, Southampton have entry requirements of 7Bs and above, then after that they don't look at it anymore. Good luck.
Reply 7516
I would also like to know the above as my grades are similar :smile:
Reply 7517
Your gcses are fine for medicine. Just stay clear of universities that put a lot of emphasis on gcses like Birmingham and Cardiff for example.
Reply 7518
I also have 3 dida ict grades and I don't think unversities count them as GCSEs do they? I have one distinction and one merit so i would have an extra A* so far.
Reply 7519
I got rejected by bsms and liverpool with 4A* 3A 2B C due to my gcses... and 3 of my grades got downgraded due to my school cheating in some years ... also was forced to do a meaningless course that I was told was worth 4GCSE... worked my ass off to get A*A*AA... and was only worth 1B. The amount of **** unis do not give :smile:

You can definitely get in however if you back them up with amazing a A levels, personal statement, ukcat etc whatnot you will still have a better chance. Also make sure to read up on admissions criteria very carefuly. Dont apply kings or birmingham etc...

Latest

Trending

Trending