The Student Room Group

Medicine Rejections Discussion Thread 2012 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Been rejected from Leicester, St Andrews and Kings...got an interview from Durham. Lets see how this turns out lol.
Original post by LPScot
You've still got 2 chances left so keep your head up! And getting to the interview stage is an achievement in itself anyway considering that with about 2000 applications most uni's only interview about 600! And it's usually more of a 50/50 chance of an offer after interview (from the research i've done) so please don't beat yourself up about it, and as I've said you still have 2 chances left whilst some people already know that they have 4 rejections.. Stay POSITIVE :smile:

Yeah, I've been interviewed at one of my others.

Well, at this uni, the chances are 75% afterwards. It's a bit of a kick in the teeth because I fell at the final hurdle, but it's also a blessing in disguise because it would have been difficult for me to justify choosing this university if I had got an offer from elsewhere. Thanks anyway :smile:
Reply 242
Original post by Straight up G
Got rejected by my first choice in December, took it very well because I was expecting it.

Got rejected by my second choice, and in reality, the place I probably fell in love with, this morning. Took it really badly. I've been very cool, very calm all applications process, I've rarely been worried and if I have I've done well to keep it quiet, but I was really stressed. Got bored in a lesson and checked my emails on my phone, it said go to track, I was anticipating it, that still didn't make it any easier. I was shaking for about 35 minutes, my body temperature dropped massively, I came back for the next lesson in the same classroom and the teacher knew there was something wrong and told me to go get a glass of water. ****, I thought I was composed but this was pretty bad. When I went to the toilet my eyes were all red, though no tears or anything like that. Then all the bad thoughts sort of started coming through, everyone had been hyping me and telling me that I was dead straight in etc, I thought of all the people I'd let down and all of that, it was really bad. I haven't sorted of emotionally disintegrated like that for a long time, it probably did me good. I turned up back to the lesson maybe an hour later and no-one noticed anything, which I was thankful for. Anyways, 2 choices left still. I needed somewhere to vent.

It's worse cos 75% of people get offers after interview, and I was one of the very first interviewed too. Goddamnit.

I can completely understand how you feel, just got my second rejection from edinburgh today and I feel a bit of a failure :frown:
Medicine is what i've always wanted to do but this stupid application process is really starting to get to me
Got rejected by my first choice in December, took it very well because I was expecting it.

Got rejected by my second choice, and in reality, the place I probably fell in love with, this morning. Took it really badly. I've been very cool, very calm all applications process, I've rarely been worried and if I have I've done well to keep it quiet, but I was really stressed. Got bored in a lesson and checked my emails on my phone, it said go to track, I was anticipating it, that still didn't make it any easier. I was shaking for about 35 minutes, my body temperature dropped massively, I came back for the next lesson in the same classroom and the teacher knew there was something wrong and told me to go get a glass of water. ****, I thought I was composed but this was pretty bad. When I went to the toilet my eyes were all red, though no tears or anything like that. Then all the bad thoughts sort of started coming through, everyone had been hyping me and telling me that I was dead straight in etc, I thought of all the people I'd let down and all of that, it was really bad. I haven't sorted of emotionally disintegrated like that for a long time, it probably did me good. I turned up back to the lesson maybe an hour later and no-one noticed anything, which I was thankful for. Anyways, 2 choices left still. I needed somewhere to vent.

It's worse cos 75% of people get offers after interview, and I was one of the very first interviewed too. Goddamnit.

I felt exactly the same after I was rejected by my first choice post-interview (the whole body temperature and shaking thing). I checked on my phone too. At the time, I was with my mum at one of her friends house and they were all going on about how I'll definitely get an offer and I need to stop worrying. I felt awful cuz I'd just been rejected, though I didn't say anything until like hours later. Went home and had a cry (:/) then told my parents. They kind of made me feel better tho, weren't upset like I thought they'd be. The shock from other family members and friends wasn't very helpful though. I was told I shouldn't waste a year on re-applying and just do something else 'medical related' that's easier to get into. -_-

Ah well, I'll be re-applying now, hopefully next year will turn out better.

Best of luck, you still have 2 more choices and you've had an interview from one of them, really hope you get an offer. :smile:
Original post by HeldAtNeedlepoint.
I felt exactly the same after I was rejected by my first choice post-interview (the whole body temperature and shaking thing). I checked on my phone too. At the time, I was with my mum at one of her friends house and they were all going on about how I'll definitely get an offer and I need to stop worrying. I felt awful cuz I'd just been rejected, though I didn't say anything until like hours later. Went home and had a cry (:/) then told my parents. They kind of made me feel better tho, weren't upset like I thought they'd be. The shock from other family members and friends wasn't very helpful though. I was told I shouldn't waste a year on re-applying and just do something else 'medical related' that's easier to get into. -_-

Ah well, I'll be re-applying now, hopefully next year will turn out better.

Best of luck, you still have 2 more choices and you've had an interview from one of them, really hope you get an offer. :smile:

Wow, there are so many parallels; earlier that morning everyone had been telling me that I'd get in even though I doubted it. As for the shaking/getting cold thing, it was like somebody had suddenly dropped me into Antarctica without a coat. I've been reading your blog, you seem like a great person, best of luck to you too :smile:
Wow, there are so many parallels; earlier that morning everyone had been telling me that I'd get in even though I doubted it. As for the shaking/getting cold thing, it was like somebody had suddenly dropped me into Antarctica without a coat. I've been reading your blog, you seem like a great person, best of luck to you too :smile:

It was awful. :frown:
I'd just read the rejection, looked up and heard someone saying 'stop worrying so much, you're bound to get an offer from them!' and my mum sat there with a big smile saying 'of course she will.' I felt like crap and just wanted to die. My body temperature was like oscillating, one minute freezing then really hot. Thankfully, I'm kind of over it and looking forward to the coming year.
And thanks, I'm not really great, just good at making it seem like I am. :tongue:
Reply 246
Original post by POWCATTY

just because youve had a rejection doesnt mean you wont be a good doctor or that youll never get in, it just means that youve got to up your game and learn the rules, because it is just a game really! an annoying, stressful, terrifying one, though.

Completely agree with you, this is my second application cycle, first time round got 4 straight rejections, this time round got 3 rejections (haven't heard from the 4th yet but am expecting nothing good), so bring on third year of applying....with every year my application improves, I get more work experience, more academic qualifications, more life experience.

But the truth is being a young graduate actually makes things harder when the degree isn't scientific, you're judged more harshly...I almost wish I hadn't done a degree though I should be proud to be a 2:1 grad who worked throughout. Kinda sucks =(

Good luck with your choices well done on all the interviews!
Reply 247
Got my first rejection of the cycle. Hurted like a bitch at first, but I feel a lot better now. Still think I'm not getting in this year. Just have a feeling.

Original post by HeldAtNeedlepoint.
:tongue:

Are you arsenic? :h:i: It's Doc willow!
I got rejected from keele last week, i'm not bitter but the whole application process is messed up.

How can i get rejected from keele without interview, a uni which I met and exceeded most of the criteria especially having my A level grades.

BUT

have an interview for leeds who interview 10% (400 out of 4000 applicants)
have an interview coming up for barts and the london
obtain an unconditional offer from HYMS!?

all im gonna say is try, try and try again.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 249
I didn't get in after reapplying unfortunately, even after 4 interviews I still managed to screw it up. I know one interview was terrible, but the other three weren't so bad. Of course there were things I could've said better in each, but that will no doubt be the case for everyone. So I'm led to think that it was my personality they disliked. I'm lost for what to do. I don't think I've got it in me to apply to medicine and fail again but I also wouldn't be content doing my fifth choice tbh. As if I had applied to 5 biochem courses with a biochem statement I could have got offers from much better universities, so I feel as though I would really be settling in this respect as my grades far exceed the entrance requirements.

So I'm torn between:

1. Applying to medicine for the third time.
2. Applying again but to a different course.
3. Taking my fifth choice (biochem).

I'd hate to do the last one but I'm not sure how viable the other two are so it may be the best choice. For instance, I got 4 rejections post interview, who is to say I will even get four interviews next year let alone be good at them. And regarding applying to a different course, I'm not sure how the very good universities (not for medicine - you know what I mean) view 2 gap years, espescially for science subjects? Also am I being too stubborn by considering this?

I will never lose the desire to be a doctor but I feel there has to come a time when you have to move on. I'm just not sure whether the time is now. I'm not looking for anyone to decide for me, I just need some advice on how to approach this predicament.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TheNightmare
hey......cheer up........i wanted to do medicine...........but there so many other things out there........Ive applied uni 4 the 1st time this yr for automotive engineering and ive received offers.............but wt im trying to say is becoming a doctor is not the only respected job..............i kno its wht u want to do............but getting into a different course and doing masters and doing a pHD is fabulous.......im sure u kno but a pHD is well worth goin 4 if u r goin for another course........

plus u kno u can gt into medicine after doing a year of biomed/biochem if u get 1st or smetin like tht in the first year........if u do not u wud have to do the full 3/4years of biomed n then u can try 4 med again........but my suggestion is to carry on with biomed.......study well hard get a 1st.......n try 4 med..........btw u can gt decent jobs frm biomed.........mayb nthing like becoming a doctor............but its smetin.............med is becoming v.competitive..........

i kno im nt the best person 2 give suggestion etc. but its just smetin to think about....

Please use proper English and stop it with the '..............' after each phrase it's really irritating. Otherwise you had some fair advice.

Original post by dontreply

@OP I think you should contact some universities; ask them how they consider medicine applicants with 2 gap years, same with any other course you're interested in. We can't tell you if they'll be okay with it - some will and some won't. You may as well email them so you have a better idea of what to do :smile: Really do wish you good luck!
Medicine is really hard to get into and most people only get one offer. If this is your second time round, then applying a third time might go either way. It could mean that having done it all twice, you have a better idea of what they are looking for and that might go in your favour. But then on the other hand it would be so stressful and you're going to risk not getting in again and wasting another year.
If I was you I would probably think about applying for something else. I have a friend that applied for medicine and didnt get any offers, and took a year out and ended up applying for theology. She's now doing that at uni and loves it! She totally thinks its fate the medicine thing wasn't meant to be.
If you do think medicine is for you, then maybe you could think about doing grad entry? You could do another degree like biochem or biomed and then do medicine after. And that could kind of give you two options. You haven't cut out your route to medicine, but at the same time if you really enjoy your degree and end up wanting to do something else..well you have another three years to think about it.
Also medschools aren't that great at resits/reapplying so I have heard. I think the more times you apply for medicine, the less likely you are to get an offer.

Hope that helps! Dont stress!
If you're absolutely certain you want to do Medicine and you have the grades then I'd say apply again next year -there's no better time as it'll be much harder if you try again as a graduate. I would, however, make sure you're doing something constructive and relevant to Medicine in your second year out. Work in a hospital or nursing home, or volunteer for Mercy Ships or something, just make sure it's supportive to your application otherwise the Unis will wonder what you're hanging around for.

If you had four interviews and this is your second year at applying, then it certainly does sound like it's your interview technique that is letting you down. It might not necessarily be your personality (I know plenty of med students with terrible personalities who managed to get through interview) but I can't comment on exactly what the problem is because obviously I've never seen you interview. I would recommend you get some interview training/practise to improve your chances of coming across well next time. Good ways of doing this are approaching current medical students/doctors and asking them to mock interview you, or getting help from organisations/charities that aim to provide assistance to university applicants. Maybe there's just one thing in particular that is causing you problems that you've never considered, so someone who is willing to give you honest critical feedback can tell you that.
Reply 253
Original post by littlebluedinosaur
Medicine is really hard to get into and most people only get one offer. If this is your second time round, then applying a third time might go either way. It could mean that having done it all twice, you have a better idea of what they are looking for and that might go in your favour. But then on the other hand it would be so stressful and you're going to risk not getting in again and wasting another year.
If I was you I would probably think about applying for something else. I have a friend that applied for medicine and didnt get any offers, and took a year out and ended up applying for theology. She's now doing that at uni and loves it! She totally thinks its fate the medicine thing wasn't meant to be.
If you do think medicine is for you, then maybe you could think about doing grad entry? You could do another degree like biochem or biomed and then do medicine after. And that could kind of give you two options. You haven't cut out your route to medicine, but at the same time if you really enjoy your degree and end up wanting to do something else..well you have another three years to think about it.
Also medschools aren't that great at resits/reapplying so I have heard. I think the more times you apply for medicine, the less likely you are to get an offer.

Hope that helps! Dont stress!

Do you know anything about other courses at the top universities?
Do you know anything about other courses at the top universities?

What do you mean?
Reply 255
Original post by littlebluedinosaur
What do you mean?

As in if I were to apply to Cambridge, Imperial, UCL etc for a sciences course (not medicine) having had two gap years would I be disadvantaged?
Reply 256
Original post by ruby321
My friend got in after 3 gap years so all is not lost, but of course there's still a chance that you won't get in next year.

I don't get why you should be so set on medicine, there are loads of other career options available in a clinical setting which you might like as much; pharmacy, optometry, physiotherapy, clinical psychology... who says you won't be happy there?

I personally would advise against bio science. Graduate entry is insanely competitive, and there aren't enough jobs as a bio medical scientist. (well that's what my bio graduate friends tell me).

Just remember medicine isn't the be-all and end-all! Of course this is all only my opinion.

If I was to reapply again to a different course it wouldn't be bioscience, but I just don't know if universities will look at me if I've taken two gap years.
Reply 257
If I was to reapply again to a different course it wouldn't be bioscience, but I just don't know if universities will look at me if I've taken two gap years.

I don't think they will mind, many people start uni with years of doing other things. Good luck with whatever you do though.
Theres no need to stress about it. Firstly you need to look at yourself and think is your dream really to become a doctor? Is it the saving lives and that your determined to do that or is is the desire to help people that you could find in another profession? By the way my cousin started a law degree, did that for a year because she didnt want to let her family down then quit. Afterwards she decided to do some medical related degree- not medicine, probs biomed then she is now a doctor. So if biomedical degree can get you to become a doctor, but it takes longer and if thats your dream do it. Go and see connections or another service for careers advice if its bothering you too much.
Original post by sablarrr
Got my first rejection of the cycle. Hurted like a bitch at first, but I feel a lot better now. Still think I'm not getting in this year. Just have a feeling.

Are you arsenic? :h:i: It's Doc willow!

Yea I am! I really enjoy reading your blog. :smile:
Don't be so pessimistic, you still have 3 choices to go yet!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending