The Student Room Group

Psy-trance Raves...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Atomik
*Shudder* Such tracks are a mockery to real psytrance.

To be fair you could say goa/psy trance is a mockery to real trance.
Reply 41
Original post by mau5

No, you can definitely not. Get out of here! I've never got into a trance by listening to trance music sober but I definitely have by listening to psytrance.
Reply 42
Original post by mau5

Depends what you mean by "real trance". I don't find clichéd track structures, long-winded build-ups and cheesy-as-hell breakdowns particularly trance-inducing. Therefore, the term "trance" to describe that style of music is most definitely a misnomer.

At least psytrance is original and can be effective in putting one into a trance.

By the way, don't forget that a lot of "normal" trance actually stemmed from Goa trance... though there is definitely a distinction between Goa & psy and the more commercial trance genres, which I'm happy about as I don't really want to be associated with all that rubbish.
Reply 43
Which psy/goa trance producers would you swear by? I listen to loads of stuff and they're all good but I never remember the artist names.

One artist/group who is quite diverse (Not always strictly psytrance), who I keep coming back to is Neelix. They are really good and most of their stuff is actually listenable in any state!

I want some artist names added!... Some of the names off the top of my head...

Neelix
Skazi (interesting mix with live instruments but this can detract from the psychedelia!)
Ace Ventura
Captain Hook
Liquid Soul
Astrix
Infected Mushrooms (of course!)

Don't know much about these artists but they're cool!

LOUD
Eiten Reita (part of LOUD)
Zen Mechanics
Psymmetrix
Liquid Ross
HedFlux

Recently stumbled upon South African producers (PsyTrance is mainstream there!)...
Artifakt
Broken Toy
Rinkadink

Please add to this list. I love discovering new psytrance (and any electronic music actually)
Reply 44
Well, that's a good start! As you may well have noticed, there are quite a few subgenres within psytrance. Most of what you've posted up falls under the 'full on' category. I'm into the more deeper/darker stuff, which I personally find a lot more psychedelic. But it really is a wide genre, with subgenres including full on, melodic progressive, psygressive/dark progressive, dark psy, forest psy (my personal favourite), Suomisaundi (which is a freeform style of psy from Finland... very odd stuff), twilight... and then you've got old school Goa and new school Goa... I've missed quite a bit out here, but this is just to give you an idea, hehe.

Anyway, my favourite artists are, without a doubt, Atriohm, Encephalopaticys, Electrypnose, Grapes of Wrath, Farebi Jalebi, Vertical, Papiyan, Baba Yaga, Kuro Fusion, Kerlivin, Derango, Gu, Drone Bixie, Arjuna, Savage Scream, Maniac Bubbles, Orestis, Megalopsy, Cosmo, Kindzadza, Ajja, Highko, Insector, Furious... these all lie in the forest & dark psy territories. Some of these artists are highly psychedelic and are really interesting to listen to when you're trippin'!

As for the more melodic side of things, the three artists I'd swear by are Sonic Species (the 'Machina Terra' EP is off the chain!), Ovnimoon (the album 'Family of Light' is the best, IMO... very melodic and atmospheric) and Hypnocoustics (up-and-coming act from the UK who also make very nice melodic psytrance).

Goa-wise, I'd recommend old Astral Projection (their full-on stuff is naff, but the music from the first couple of releases is funtastic!), Filteria (absolutely manic new-school Goa trance - some of the most energetic music I've ever heard) and Khetzal (lovely, ultra melodic new-school Goa trance with a polished production... check out his album 'Corolle' in full... the tracks are very varied but the release somehow manages to flow perfectly).

There's also the psygressive/dark progressive stuff, which is worth checking out. My favourite out of the lot is Sensient (my favourite album is his most recent, 'The Space Between'... it's like a cross between dark progressive and minimal...), but everything released on Zenon Records is worth a go. (This genre is also called 'Zenonesque' by some.) Hypogeo and Opsy release the darkest stuff in this subgenre, I think.

Two websites I really recommend:

1) Ektoplazm. This is a free net label that has a plethora of brilliant releases. Browse through the different genres and download stuff you like the look of. You can also stream all the albums if you want to hear before you download. But, as I said, all the albums are free (legitimately), which is brilliant.

http://www.ektoplazm.com

2) Electrypnose's website. This artist is ****ing brilliant. I cannot recommend his stuff enough. I'd say he was one of the best producers in the scene, and he's done a good job of creating his own sound and applying it to many different styles within psytrance (and electronic music in general). The guy has a lot of integrity too - he releases all of his music on his website, which you can pay £30 for a year's subscription. If you don't wanna pay for anything, you can stream all of his music in the link below, all of which can be found through the different subgenre labels he makes music in.

http://www.electrypnose.com/index.php?page=music

Hahah, wrote a lot. I'm a huge fan of psytrance, though!

Oh, and blatant spam, but if you get bored and want to listen to the stuff I make by myself and with various friends, check out:

http://www.soundcloud.com/kodamapsy

http://www.soundcloud.com/jotunnpsy

Let me know if you enjoy any of the artists I posted above, and I can maybe recommend some more albums or whatever. :smile:

Original post by njff15
Which psy/goa trance producers would you swear by? I listen to loads of stuff and they're all good but I never remember the artist names.

One artist/group who is quite diverse (Not always strictly psytrance), who I keep coming back to is Neelix. They are really good and most of their stuff is actually listenable in any state!

I want some artist names added!... Some of the names off the top of my head...

Neelix
Skazi (interesting mix with live instruments but this can detract from the psychedelia!)
Ace Ventura
Captain Hook
Liquid Soul
Astrix
Infected Mushrooms (of course!)

Don't know much about these artists but they're cool!

LOUD
Eiten Reita (part of LOUD)
Zen Mechanics
Psymmetrix
Liquid Ross
HedFlux

Recently stumbled upon South African producers (PsyTrance is mainstream there!)...
Artifakt
Broken Toy
Rinkadink

Please add to this list. I love discovering new psytrance (and any electronic music actually)
Reply 45
Thanks mate, Got some better knowledge about psy trance, ill check out the other artists to. Definitely gonna come for kindzadza.. wheres the location? or will i have to call on the day and find out?
Reply 46
Thanks so much for this! I found I definitely get more of a natural kick out of the uplifting and tribal stuff. Drugs take it all to the next level but I limit my intake to a couple of times a year.

Also, how would you classify Neelix?

Original post by Atomik
Well, that's a good start! As you may well have noticed, there are quite a few subgenres within psytrance. Most of what you've posted up falls under the 'full on' category. I'm into the more deeper/darker stuff, which I personally find a lot more psychedelic. But it really is a wide genre, with subgenres including full on, melodic progressive, psygressive/dark progressive, dark psy, forest psy (my personal favourite), Suomisaundi (which is a freeform style of psy from Finland... very odd stuff), twilight... and then you've got old school Goa and new school Goa... I've missed quite a bit out here, but this is just to give you an idea, hehe.

Anyway, my favourite artists are, without a doubt, Atriohm, Encephalopaticys, Electrypnose, Grapes of Wrath, Farebi Jalebi, Vertical, Papiyan, Baba Yaga, Kuro Fusion, Kerlivin, Derango, Gu, Drone Bixie, Arjuna, Savage Scream, Maniac Bubbles, Orestis, Megalopsy, Cosmo, Kindzadza, Ajja, Highko, Insector, Furious... these all lie in the forest & dark psy territories. Some of these artists are highly psychedelic and are really interesting to listen to when you're trippin'!

As for the more melodic side of things, the three artists I'd swear by are Sonic Species (the 'Machina Terra' EP is off the chain!), Ovnimoon (the album 'Family of Light' is the best, IMO... very melodic and atmospheric) and Hypnocoustics (up-and-coming act from the UK who also make very nice melodic psytrance).

Goa-wise, I'd recommend old Astral Projection (their full-on stuff is naff, but the music from the first couple of releases is funtastic!), Filteria (absolutely manic new-school Goa trance - some of the most energetic music I've ever heard) and Khetzal (lovely, ultra melodic new-school Goa trance with a polished production... check out his album 'Corolle' in full... the tracks are very varied but the release somehow manages to flow perfectly).

There's also the psygressive/dark progressive stuff, which is worth checking out. My favourite out of the lot is Sensient (my favourite album is his most recent, 'The Space Between'... it's like a cross between dark progressive and minimal...), but everything released on Zenon Records is worth a go. (This genre is also called 'Zenonesque' by some.) Hypogeo and Opsy release the darkest stuff in this subgenre, I think.

1) Ektoplazm. This is a free net label that has a plethora of brilliant releases. Browse through the different genres and download stuff you like the look of. You can also stream all the albums if you want to hear before you download. But, as I said, all the albums are free (legitimately), which is brilliant.

2) Electrypnose's website. This artist is ****ing brilliant. I cannot recommend his stuff enough. I'd say he was one of the best producers in the scene, and he's done a good job of creating his own sound and applying it to many different styles within psytrance (and electronic music in general). The guy has a lot of integrity too - he releases all of his music on his website, which you can pay £30 for a year's subscription. If you don't wanna pay for anything, you can stream all of his music in the link below, all of which can be found through the different subgenre labels he makes music in.

Oh, and blatant spam, but if you get bored and want to listen to the stuff I make by myself and with various friends, check out:

Let me know if you enjoy any of the artists I posted above, and I can maybe recommend some more albums or whatever. :smile:
Reply 47
Just listened to your soundcloud stuff. Holy crap, you should play at some festivals (if you don't already). What festivals do you reccommend? I'm goin got Glade this year.

Original post by Atomik

Reply 48
Original post by Xamanus
Thanks mate, Got some better knowledge about psy trance, ill check out the other artists to. Definitely gonna come for kindzadza.. wheres the location? or will i have to call on the day and find out?

Nice one, bro. :smile: The location for the Late Blossom party with Kindzadza will be made available on the night. Standard affair with these parties, for obvious reasons! :biggrin: Will be a good 'un, though the price is a little steep at £20. Still, it's really quite a big lineup, and usually when you pay that price for a party you get what you've paid for.

Original post by njff15
Just listened to your soundcloud stuff. Holy crap, you should play at some festivals (if you don't already). What festivals do you reccommend? I'm goin got Glade this year.

Heheh, cheers, man! Well, my mate and I were meant to be playing at Tangra Festival in Bulgaria last year, with our Jötunn project, but we didn't get a live set done on time. I stupidly sealed the booking (we were gonna play for free anyway) and realised a few months before that we wouldn't get the tracks finished on time. Oh well, more opportunities will arise!

Neelix is a bit of a weird one. Definitely progressive, though not strictly progressive psytrance. He seems to cross over into a lot of other styles of electronic music that I'm not too clued up on.

As for festies this year, well, I'll definitely be going to Cosmo here in the UK. It's basically the only psytrance-only festival in the UK. A lot smaller than Glade but well, well worth it! I'm also gonna go to Psycrowdelica in Germany and hopefully Fullmoon - Freqs of Nature festival in the same country.

I'd love to go to Glade, especially to check out the setting (psytrance in the woods is always a winner), but the style of psy played there is more full-on. I'm a bit gutted, really, as there are two psytrance stages and both of them are hosting the same style of psytrance. It would make more sense to have some dark psy at night, followed by fluffy music when the sun comes up. If they had some dark psy there, I'd definitely go, but I don't wanna spend £150 or whatever price the tickets cost on music that'll end up frustrating me, hehe. You'll love it there, though, if you like the melodic side of psy!
Reply 49
You should go to Cape Town. Psytrance is big there! And according to something I read a while back, they are most famous for dark psytrance.

They have massive psytrance weekends every fortnight, sometimes more regular than that. Often on a beach or in the forests. I only ever went to Earthdance Cape Town (Don't know why the UK doesn't do Earthdance).

But there's also Rezonance, Alien Safari, Remanufacture, so many.

Usually the friday night main stage is the electro stage and Saturday night main stage is the psytrance stage.
Reply 50
Original post by njff15
You should go to Cape Town. Psytrance is big there! And according to something I read a while back, they are most famous for dark psytrance.

They have massive psytrance weekends every fortnight, sometimes more regular than that. Often on a beach or in the forests. I only ever went to Earthdance Cape Town (Don't know why the UK doesn't do Earthdance).

But there's also Rezonance, Alien Safari, Remanufacture, so many.

Usually the friday night main stage is the electro stage and Saturday night main stage is the psytrance stage.

Niiice. I've seen some pics of South African parties (there's also a cool documentary about the SA psy scene on YouTube) - they look absolutely epic. Some friends played at the Free Radical Records party not so long ago - now that one looked off the chain! Stellar dark psy lineup, awesome setup, beautiful location...

I think most of the music played at parties there is the South African twilight-style psy, though, and people often refer to this (wrongly) as dark psy. Would love to go for the experience, so would have to time it for the Free Radicals party I mentioned above if I wanted to enjoy the full package. :biggrin: As you can tell, I get very fussy about styles of music I like to hear, lol. :wink:
Reply 51
You might like 'Frozen Ghost'.

Temporarily forgot about him. But my Saffa friends who are deep into the psy scene swear by them!

Example of Capetonian psytrance, not sure how it's classified as I'm a noob still!

Here's a link to his older stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRyekA2-lB4
And his newer stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN9ME8eFqXM

Original post by Atomik
Niiice. I've seen some pics of South African parties (there's also a cool documentary about the SA psy scene on YouTube) - they look absolutely epic. Some friends played at the Free Radical Records party not so long ago - now that one looked off the chain! Stellar dark psy lineup, awesome setup, beautiful location...

I think most of the music played at parties there is the South African twilight-style psy, though, and people often refer to this (wrongly) as dark psy. Would love to go for the experience, so would have to time it for the Free Radicals party I mentioned above if I wanted to enjoy the full package. :biggrin: As you can tell, I get very fussy about styles of music I like to hear, lol. :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 52
Ahh, yeah, heard Frozen Ghost before. :smile: Still has that SA twilight sound I'm not so into. Do occasionally dig this style of music, though.

One SA (dark psy) artist I do really like, tho', is Paralocks! His music is pretty insane.

Yeeeeeeeeeah! Those leads and the glitching... aaahhhghhhh!!! \,,/>_<\,,/

Original post by njff15
You might like 'Frozen Ghost'.

Temporarily forgot about him. But my Saffa friends who are deep into the psy scene swear by them!

Example of Capetonian psytrance, not sure how it's classified as I'm a noob still!

Here's a link to his older stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRyekA2-lB4
And his newer stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN9ME8eFqXM
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 53
The origins of psytrance from the psychedelic rock side (In a way, more trippy than psytrance... especially when comparing while sober!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi9evrCL9UY
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 54
Evening folks.

Anyone going to Cosmo festival this year??. Absolutely stellar line up!! Also going to Ozora in Hungary for the first time in August. Possibly the biggest Psy festival in europe.

http://cosmofestival.org/
http://ozorafestival.eu/

Beautiful days to come.

Peace.
Reply 55
Original post by Sama_Sufi
Evening folks.

Anyone going to Cosmo festival this year??. Absolutely stellar line up!! Also going to Ozora in Hungary for the first time in August. Possibly the biggest Psy festival in europe.

http://cosmofestival.org/
http://ozorafestival.eu/

Beautiful days to come.

Peace.

Yup, I'm definitely going to Cosmo! Stellar lineup indeed... really decent selection of forest psy and prog psy.Really looking forward to Electrypnose in a festival setting!

Ozora rules, dude. I went in '09 and it was the best experience of my life. It's really something else... beautiful location too. I'd love to go again but I doubt I'll be able to afford it this year. Off to Psycrowdelica in Germany, maybe Noise Poison in Slovakia and also maybe Freqs of Nature (Fullmoon Festival) in Germany as well... :smile:
Original post by gypsyclimber
Yeah they're good, I know them. My Dad absolutely loves them...

So does mine! :eek: are you my long-lost sister or something?

Spoiler

Reply 57
Atomic, did you say you've been to Glade Festival before?..

Anyone else been to Glade? Do you know if I'd be able to get legal drugs like Salvia and αMT (alpha-Methyltryptamine) into the festival? If they do a search, would they assume that the drugs are illegal?

Also, is Peyote (or any Mescaline containing cactus) legal in the UK?

One more... do you know of any other legal hallucinogens or psychedelics I should try?
Reply 58
Original post by njff15
Atomic, did you say you've been to Glade Festival before?..

Anyone else been to Glade? Do you know if I'd be able to get legal drugs like Salvia and αMT (alpha-Methyltryptamine) into the festival? If they do a search, would they assume that the drugs are illegal?

Also, is Peyote (or any Mescaline containing cactus) legal in the UK?

One more... do you know of any other legal hallucinogens or psychedelics I should try?

Aye, I went in '08 and '09. The security searched rigorously and they most definitely didn't let people take anything in. I dunno what the score is with legal stuff but I know some places get a bit arsey with it - when I saw Shpongle in '08, the security took my bag of Spice (then-legal cannabis alternative). I know that when I went to Glade they had legal high stores selling a variety of legal pills... think they might have sold salvia there, too. Not sure what the deal is now, though, man... Just do what everyone else does and hide stuff in your socks or something. :P

RE: Peyote laws - it seems like there's some sort of loophole in the law whereby you can buy fresh peyote in the UK, and that mescaline-containing cacti are legal. Check out Erowid for more info: http://www.erowid.org/plants/peyote/peyote_law.shtml

As for trying psychedelics, well, I can't directly recommend anything ('cos of forum rules), but I really enjoy acid (best psychedelic dance drug IMO) and DMT/changa. They're definitely my favourite psychez.

...Oops, just read that you wrote legal... oops! Can't think of any, tbh. Your best bet is to just find the good stuff ( :wink: ) inside the party/festival!
Original post by LtCommanderData
So does mine! :eek: are you my long-lost sister or something?

Spoiler

Well you never know :O

Only just rediscovered this thread by accident...then realised I'd started it. Am definitely considering Glade this year, plus I'm going to Nozstock which has a psytrance wood hosted by Tribe of Frog. Bring on the summer.

Quick Reply

Latest