The Student Room Group

Psychology placements 😭😭

Hi,
So I’m going to start uni and I’m looking for possible placements but this feels impossible 😭 Google keeps bringing up uni courses which is exactly what I don’t need.

Does anyone know of any opportunities or any websites to look at?
I know of being an assistant psychologist in the NHS but it’s so competitive and I feel like there must be something other than that… I’ve also looked at the BACP but since I’m studying psychology and not counselling I can’t apply for a student membership.
Do you mean pre undergrad placements? If so, you don't need work experience prior to applying for the BSc
Reply 2
Original post by Interrobang
Do you mean pre undergrad placements? If so, you don't need work experience prior to applying for the BSc

More like during the undergrad course because I already have my place at the uni confirmed and set so I’m not worried about that. It’s difficult to find without going through the uni
Reply 3
Original post by Alexiafc2
More like during the undergrad course because I already have my place at the uni confirmed and set so I’m not worried about that. It’s difficult to find without going through the uni

Unless there is an integrated placement in the course, it is very unlikely you will get an asst psy alongside this or during the summer. Looking at more entry level care roles would be very useful though, an asst psy role is not mandatory and you can gain very useful competencies in less competitive areas.

Take care,

Greg
Some unis may also offer research assistant posts during the holidays, but most posts need to be longer term (so through a placement year) or post graduating. You can look for volunteering opportunities and your uni will likely have an organisation who helps with arranging that
Original post by Alexiafc2
Hi,
So I’m going to start uni and I’m looking for possible placements but this feels impossible 😭 Google keeps bringing up uni courses which is exactly what I don’t need.

Does anyone know of any opportunities or any websites to look at?
I know of being an assistant psychologist in the NHS but it’s so competitive and I feel like there must be something other than that… I’ve also looked at the BACP but since I’m studying psychology and not counselling I can’t apply for a student membership.

Hi! current student of psychology here going into second year :smile:. DO NOT WORRY with that right now, get through first year then prep during the summer going into second. You'll only be able to apply from that September anyway and you'll need first year experience/careers resources to apply anyway. You'll get lots of help from which ever uni you go to. I understand that its hard to trust the process here and i was doing the same thing as you but its in your best interest to wait for the appropriate time:smile: hope this helped.

Quick Reply

Latest