The Student Room Group

Is the north of England better to live in than the South?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WhiteWalker
I am just curious. I live in the south of England and the people are so much different than up north. I have noticed that people up north are generally more friendly & welcoming than here in the south. I think the friendliness of the people is a huge plus when it comes to living somewhere.

Anyway, your opinions on this?

(From the east midlands) The North is quintessentially, humbly English, I find. Well I wouldn't say humbly but on a global scale the North is more underrated and unsung so the locals have a different attitude in general.

And it's not just London in the south, people.

The North is also I wouldn't say cheap, but inexpensive compared to erm ahem...

Original post by mddub39
Depends whether you want to live somewhere grim, but cheap or somewhere nice but more cost worthy. I can safely say I'd rather live in Bournemouth than somewhere like Birmingham, for example.

Brum ain't the south. Don't care how old this post is lol
Original post by ScouserLFC
It's a shame that Manchester drags the north of England down.

Original post by DudeBoy
Cough cough.. Liverpool... Cough

lmao just about to say what about Liverpool? :colonhash:

old post, whatever. I'm chillin still.
Original post by BigJ97
Cos everywhere grim up here...bloody southerners

Original post by Spiros90
The north isnt particular friendly nor is it even particularly poor; Devon, Cornwall and Wales are miles poorer. In terms of nice scenery and friendly villages I'd probably opt for Wiltshire, Dorset, Glos.

ffs you two bumped this thread hard.
In my opinion i say some parts of the south are crowded and some are not it depends on the area you live in. Where i live is an extremely nice place. I haven't really tried nothern areas but i also don't think they're worst.
If you go to a nice city like Manchester or Yorkshire or Nottingham, they are nice in north. In the south bristol and Brighton are very expensive but lovely cities. I kinda wish they were more friendlier. I wish there were a city like bristol that was cheaper and had the northern banter friendliness. Aah you can't have it all. People just posher, richer and upper class down south. Kinda made me feel uncomfortable and imtimdated knowing l can't match up to that.
Original post by Bhumbauze
Yes, but they're usually junkies or alcoholics. The topics of conversation are somewhat limited.

That's not true an awful lot of the time, people just talk to be nice mostly.
Original post by Chrisco
If you go to a nice city like Manchester or Yorkshire or Nottingham, they are nice in north. In the south bristol and Brighton are very expensive but lovely cities. I kinda wish they were more friendlier. I wish there were a city like bristol that was cheaper and had the northern banter friendliness. Aah you can't have it all. People just posher, richer and upper class down south. Kinda made me feel uncomfortable and imtimdated knowing l can't match up to that.

Can't beat the north eh, however i do think every city is different and the friendliness of people seems to vary quite alot throughout even single counties. I haven't lived in the south, however I know people who do and my initial impressions upon visiting seem to be that in the cities people talk to strangers less and seem so busy that it is a little more difficult to ask for help if you get lost etc. I see what you mean about people being posh, however there are an awful lot of much poorer people in the south, it just depends where you are, as it does in the north. :smile:
Manchester is shite, Yorkshire isn't a city and Nottingham is in the Midlands.
Original post by Chrisco
Original post by Wilfred Little
Manchester is shite, Yorkshire isn't a city and Nottingham is in the Midlands.

'Manchester is shite' is based on what exactly? I'm not even from Manchester but it arguably has the best music scene in the country, the best sports scene in the country, one of the best nightlife's in the country (and not expensive), really good job prospects. good links to the countryside and other major cities. I could go on for a while. It has it's downs like any other major UK city but its ups far outweigh them.
Not even close to having the best music scene in the country, it's not 1994 anymore, one of the most overhyped scenes maybe. And if sport is your argument it's way behind Glasgow.
Original post by BayHarborButcher
'Manchester is shite' is based on what exactly? I'm not even from Manchester but it arguably has the best music scene in the country, the best sports scene in the country, one of the best nightlife's in the country (and not expensive), really good job prospects. good links to the countryside and other major cities. I could go on for a while. It has it's downs like any other major UK city but its ups far outweigh them.
Having lived in both, yes.
South > North
Original post by Wilfred Little
Not even close to having the best music scene in the country, it's not 1994 anymore, one of the most overhyped scenes maybe. And if sport is your argument it's way behind Glasgow.

Right, okay. So you're just going to ignore the vast quantity of music venues Manchester has as well as it's massive scene for up coming talent. Manchester is always on the tour list of every major band. It is also home to two of the world's most famous sports teams and has every single sport to a very good standard. Glasgow might be similar on football but I don't think it compares with anything else Manchester has to offer in sport like rugby, lacrosse, ice hockey, American Football etc.
South>North
Or tennis? Lots of cities have music venues. Their scene is a myth and not close to being the best in the country.
Original post by BayHarborButcher
Right, okay. So you're just going to ignore the vast quantity of music venues Manchester has as well as it's massive scene for up coming talent. Manchester is always on the tour list of every major band. It is also home to two of the world's most famous sports teams and has every single sport to a very good standard. Glasgow might be similar on football but I don't think it compares with anything else Manchester has to offer in sport like rugby, lacrosse, ice hockey, American Football etc.
I kinda meant Yorkshire as whole, l know its not a city. North, south, west and east Yorkshire or county's l suppose.

Quick Reply

Latest