The Student Room Group

Is there better quality of life further north?

I had never seriously considered living up north though I did go to uni in Edinburgh. I'm in Cambridge otherwise been here years.
For complex reasons I'm pretty isolated and you don't easily meet new people here, though maybe I need to make more effort.
Am I missing out on what the north has to offer? I'm thinking friendliness, prices, country, quality of life attitudes, etc. Oh and I don't like hot summers either so would prefer the weather. I include Wales and Scotland too. Can anyone offer any insights? Anyone lived in both north and south and got a view??
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
I had never seriously considered living up north though I did go to uni in Edinburgh. I'm in Cambridge otherwise been here years.
For complex reasons I'm pretty isolated and you don't easily meet new people here, though maybe I need to make more effort.
Am I missing out on what the north has to offer? I'm thinking friendliness, prices, country, quality of life attitudes, etc. Oh and I don't like hot summers either so would prefer the weather. I include Wales and Scotland too. Can anyone offer any insights? Anyone lived in both north and south and got a view??

I have lived in both, southampton, oxford, london and then up past Newcastle, so hopefully i can help.

I wouldnt get too caught on the stereotypes of people being more friendly etc, there are good and bad everywhere. More depends on the area, and mainly if its urban or rural. Smaller communities tend to be more friendly, but requires you to be more open to getting involved etc. Big cities can be just as distant wherever they are.

Regarding quality of life, yes i do think being up north is better, in terms of house prices etc. But i am a country bumpkin so i prefer the wild open nature, which you get more of as you go further north. There are big cities across the north, so you can have the night life and opportunities also.

Picking up on your rhetorical question, wherever you go will take lots of effort and being out of your comfort zone. But you can obviously do it, you have done it before when you went to edinburgh.

If you make the move, dont expect a completely different life without the hard graft. You may be starting from scratch and the first few months may be really tough. Invest in joining clubs before you go up, running, yoga, art whatever.

Good luck,

Greg
I personally wouldn't ever want to live down south. But then again, having lived nearly 37 years in Yorkshire, perhaps I'm a bit biased.
Reply 3
I suppose that the answer will depend upon an individual's ambitions and personal circumstances.
Often the accomodation prices and cost of living are much less expensive than in places like london or sussex.
Personally I'd never consider relocating to northern england or any part of scotland.
Reply 4
Original post by SaucissonSecCy

It’s grim most places in north England, especially large cities and towns, there are some nice places in the countryside and a few small cities that are nice but that is it. Many towns in northern England are experiencing urban decay, like Bishop Auckland where the centre of the city is completely silent nowadays and half the shops are closed ( in the centre of town) There are of course nice places in Scotland, but the Scottish cities have many the same issues that cities in England have as well.
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest