The Student Room Group

Race for life...sexist?

My sister and her friend run in the race for life event yesterday and I noticed almost no men at the event, just a few sitting in chairs or cheering someone on. I decided to do a little research and it turns out men are banned from this event? how can anyone be banned from a charity event? Men suffer from cancers, aswell as having loved ones die from cancer, yet they can't show their support by running in it?

I found a generic response from an organiser and it was along the lines of "Our participants wish to keep it a female only event....how is that fair? so us men can simply ban women from whichever thing we want, aslong as the majority of participants are male?

I also read its wikipedia page, a man complained about it being sexist and he was instantly ignored by equal opportunities commission...wtf?

What do you guys think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think both men and women should race. Cancer is a horrible thing and both sexes suffer from it. It is very unfair that it is only for women.

OR...it could be a revenge thing from women, how they were treated badly in the past and now they want to get back!

Either way, they're sexist.
Reply 2
Original post by slylee
....how is that fair? so us men can simply ban women from whichever thing we want, aslong as the majority of participants are male?

Well, I doubt you'd get away with a men-only run. You'd certainly be more likely to be contacted by the Equal Opportunities about such a run, anyway. And yes, I fully agree, this is very unfair.
Reply 3
Original post by LP-FTW
I think both men and women should race. Cancer is a horrible thing and both sexes suffer from it. It is very unfair that it is only for women.

OR...it could be a revenge thing from women, how they were treated badly in the past and now they want to get back!

Either way, they're sexist.

Lol, that reminds me of what a famous comedian said (forgot name) something along the lines of "Women had the chance to become better than men but tripped over their heels and fell in the gutter with us"
Reply 4
LOL! ^^
Reply 5
Another reason of how "equality" works only for the minorities.
Reply 6
It's probably harder for prostate/testicular cancer survivors to run long distances.
I have to admit I've always been a little baffled by race for Life as I've never understood quite why it's women only.

If it was an event focused on a form of cancer that only women can get like Ovarian or Uterine cancers then you could maybe see the logic of it. But since it's for all cancers then there isn't any real reason to it.

I suppose that it carries on as it is because there hasn't been a large number of men campaigning to be allowed to take part in it. If men wanted to take part in a a similar event there are loads of others so why would they bother? But if lots of men all insisted that they should be able to take part it would probably change.

It does seem to be a a bit anachronistic as a concept though.
Reply 8
Original post by Historophilia
I have to admit I've always been a little baffled by race for Life as I've never understood quite why it's women only.

If it was an event focused on a form of cancer that only women can get like Ovarian or Uterine cancers then you could maybe see the logic of it. But since it's for all cancers then there isn't any real reason to it.

I suppose that it carries on as it is because there hasn't been a large number of men campaigning to be allowed to take part in it. If men wanted to take part in a a similar event there are loads of others so why would they bother? But if lots of men all insisted that they should be able to take part it would probably change.

It does seem to be a a bit anachronistic as a concept though.

You need to write my essays! :smile:
Reply 9
Because its ok to be sexist when women are doing it to men.
Reply 10
Be a man they said, it'll be fun they said...
Original post by LP-FTW
You need to write my essays! :smile:

Pay me in cake and i'll do it :tongue:
Reply 12
Sure, but what kind of cake? *DUM DUM DUUUMMMM!!*
Reply 13
Because men would look silly in pink :tongue:
You guys have Movember!
Original post by tallen90

Tell that to Bret Hart.
Reply 16
Original post by slylee
My sister and her friend run in the race for life event yesterday and I noticed almost no men at the event, just a few sitting in chairs or cheering someone on. I decided to do a little research and it turns out men are banned from this event? how can anyone be banned from a charity event? Men suffer from cancers, aswell as having loved ones die from cancer, yet they can't show their support by running in it?

I found a generic response from an organiser and it was along the lines of "Our participants wish to keep it a female only event....how is that fair? so us men can simply ban women from whichever thing we want, aslong as the majority of participants are male?

I also read its wikipedia page, a man complained about it being sexist and he was instantly ignored by equal opportunities commission...wtf?

What do you guys think?

Original post by Templar49
Well, I doubt you'd get away with a men-only run. You'd certainly be more likely to be contacted by the Equal Opportunities about such a run, anyway. And yes, I fully agree, this is very unfair.

I really don't see what the controversy is. Marketing it this way has made it a very profitable event for the charity as it has galvanised people to raise money for the charity.

Believe it or not, but despite some of the hysteria displayed here, men only events do exist. Unfortunately, it seems that they're not as profitable as the female only versions, perhaps, if some guys actually cared about raising money for Prostate/Testicular cancer and other cancers then they could prove a very good source of income for these charities. But no, just complain instead :colonhash:
Original post by LP-FTW
Sure, but what kind of cake? *DUM DUM DUUUMMMM!!*

I'll take any kind of cake that is not coconut or coffee.

Victoria sponge is a favourite, as is lemon drizzle.

And if you get me carrot cake with cream cheese icing I'll throw in a bonus 10 makr question for free.

EDIT: Why are people negging my taste in cakes :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by tallen90

Real men wear pink.
Reply 19
Original post by historophilia
i'll take any kind of cake that is not coconut or coffee.

Victoria sponge is a favourite, as is lemon drizzle.

And if you get me carrot cake with cream cheese icing i'll throw in a bonus 10 makr question for free.

get the flour! The eggs! The icing sugar! Now! Now! Now! Come'on, i'm not paying you guys for nothing! Hurry up, i've got to deliver these by monday!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending