The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Hey, was just wondering when incoming undergrads usually receive info about reading lists and also when you make decisions on the other subjects you will be taking alongside the one(s) you actually applied for..

As in, do you just show up on your first day of classes and get a reading list thrown at you of all the books you'll need to buy - or is this info relayed via email, or available online somewhere before you go up. Similarly, do you make the choice of your third subject once you arrive - during freshers week perhaps - or before then via email or smthn?

Thanks in advance :biggrin:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by JM_1998
Hey, was just wondering when incoming undergrads usually receive info about reading lists and also when you make decisions on the other subjects you will be taking alongside the one(s) you actually applied for..

As in, do you just show up on your first day of classes and get a reading list thrown at you of all the books you'll need to buy - or is this info relayed via email, or available online somewhere before you go up. Similarly, do you make the choice of your third subject once you arrive - during freshers week perhaps - or before then via email or smthn?

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

If you know your module codes you can search for the reading list at: http://resourcelists.st-andrews.ac.uk/index.html My reading list for next year isn´t up yet - they generally come out late.

No need to buy all the books; you might end up not needng them. In general, wait until after class starts and once you know which ones you´ll need, then check the charity shops and https://www.facebook.com/groups/668611529921716/ for cheap second hand books.

Regarding third subjects, you submit your choices online during online matriculation. During freshers week you finalise matriculation and subject choices after having talked with your advisor. Up until a week or two after courses start, you can change your choices.
Do they have scholarships? If so what are they like?
How much more expensive is it than other unis in England and Scotland?
Cheers
Original post by Rikke1996
If you know your module codes you can search for the reading list at: http://resourcelists.st-andrews.ac.uk/index.html My reading list for next year isn´t up yet - they generally come out late.

No need to buy all the books; you might end up not needng them. In general, wait until after class starts and once you know which ones you´ll need, then check the charity shops and https://www.facebook.com/groups/668611529921716/ for cheap second hand books.

Regarding third subjects, you submit your choices online during online matriculation. During freshers week you finalise matriculation and subject choices after having talked with your advisor. Up until a week or two after courses start, you can change your choices.

Yeah I don't plan on buying every book (textbooks are expensive af 😱) but I've accepted an unconditional for English and Modern History (and considering taking Comparative Lit as well) - so I'll need to buy all the primary texts for the lit courses haha

Thanks again! 😄
i was thinking of applying to St Andrews for Psychology MA. does anyone know the success rate and how competitive it is to get in? Because ill be doing a science, my entry requirements will be AAB which I think I'll get. However, does that really make up the bigger picture or does PS matter most? Thanks in advance
silly question but i was just wondering how likely i am to get my first choice of accommodation? I'm an international (canadian) student with a conditional offer. I have requested standard catered and put down that i was happy to have a roommate. what are the chances of me ending up with my first choice? because of the conditional offer, will i be less likely to get it? will my want of a roommate better the chance of me getting standard catered? someone be my saviour and calm my anxiety pls:h:
Original post by tk2631
may be a bit of a silly question, have accepted my unconditional offer to read modern history. does this mean my other 2 modules in first year have to be the arts as well? or am I allowed to take a science, as I fulfil the prerequisites? I know i couldn't get a joint degree in art and science but for sub-honours years I was hoping to take biology. Thank you! :blush:

I'm not a current student but when I visited it seemed in the first 2 years it was possible to take a module completely outside your chosen degree path and a few people do it. From what I gained it was the 3rd year where students chose whether they wanted to be in the arts or sciences, hope that helps! :smile:
Original post by tk2631
may be a bit of a silly question, have accepted my unconditional offer to read modern history. does this mean my other 2 modules in first year have to be the arts as well? or am I allowed to take a science, as I fulfil the prerequisites? I know i couldn't get a joint degree in art and science but for sub-honours years I was hoping to take biology. Thank you! :blush:

I'm not a current student either (starting in Sept. :biggrin:) When you are accepted by the university, you are actually specifically accepted into the faculty you have applied to, (Arts in your case) - therefore the general expectation is you will take your other 4 modules of first year in Arts courses. (6 modules per year in years one and two, three in each semester.)

It says in the prospectus that they do allow cross faculty subject choices, however you won't be able to take any more than 80 credits in your total degree (each 1st and 2nd year module is worth 20) and priority will always be given to students within the other faculty so your place in that subject is not guaranteed.

Overall, it seems you would be able to take Biology for 1st and 2nd year (subject to availability) :h:

A closer look at the prospectus also shows that beyond grades, it is required you have studied specific subjects in high school (at SQA Higher, A-Level, IB, etc) in order to study Biology in your degree. Requiring Biology and at least one of: Maths, Physics, or Chemistry.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alexalexa
silly question but i was just wondering how likely i am to get my first choice of accommodation? I'm an international (canadian) student with a conditional offer. I have requested standard catered and put down that i was happy to have a roommate. what are the chances of me ending up with my first choice? because of the conditional offer, will i be less likely to get it? will my want of a roommate better the chance of me getting standard catered? someone be my saviour and calm my anxiety pls:h:

A large number of the A level students in the UK will also be conditional - they get their results mid august and the accommodation is sorted out after that.

I do know that the standard catered is heavily oversubscribed most years and quite a lot of people are offered self catering / en suite or catered / en suite

Maybe being happy to share will make the chance of getting the accommodation you want more likely - depends again on whether it is oversubscribed.
Hiiiii,

I've got a conditional offer for French and Spanish, starting in September hopefully!

I have quite a few questions tbh so here goes...

Does anyone know anything about the dance opportunities in St Andrews???
What about part time job opportunities within the University???
Night life???
Also about transport, I know the train station is just outside of St Andrews town but how long would it take to walk there versus taking a bus?

Thank youuuuu
Original post by HarrietLGH98
Hiiiii,I've got a conditional offer for French and Spanish, starting in September hopefully!I have quite a few questions tbh so here goes...Does anyone know anything about the dance opportunities in St Andrews???What about part time job opportunities within the University???Night life???Also about transport, I know the train station is just outside of St Andrews town but how long would it take to walk there versus taking a bus?Thank youuuuu

1. There's a rather large dance society, take a look here: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~dancesoc/ It's not updated for the coming year yet though, so teachers and class times, and number of classes will change. Performance wise, there's an end of year show, and there's a competitive team, and a few other shows you can audition for.

2. Can't really comment on this one, but I know people who have had a very tough time finding part time jobs, and opinions are divided on the night life.

3. According to map quest, it's a 1 hour and 50 minute walk to Leuchars station (versus a 15 minute bus ride)
(edited 7 years ago)
I want to apply for psychology which requires AAB. Why are the entry standards really low? Surely, it must be really competitive? Should I still apply if I think I'll at most, get AAA?
Most course at St Andrews have offers in the range AAB - AAA, even the really competitive courses (AAB would be a pretty decent result you have to remember!) You'd definitely have a chance, but St Andrews puts a lot more emphasis on personal statement than other unis, so make sure that yours + your reference is really strong.
Whats the St Andrew's nightlife like? I understand that there isn't a really big clubbing scene, but what is the alternative? :smile:
Hi I wondered if anyone could tell me what its like being a physics student there? For instance what is the work load like, how difficult will I find it to get used to the work considering I dropped out half way through AH physics and maths? Why does the department get such high rankings on the league tables, like what separates it from other physics departments in the uk? Thanks
Anybody ever get an offer for Physics less than AAA?
Does anybody know when we receive the entrant email? It's supposed to have the information to open a computer account for the university but also to check your accommodation offer and other stuff... I've had a conditional offer from SA since March, which became unconditional in June, and I don't know if I should be worried about not receiving anything coming from them?
I wouldn't be worried! They send those emails out in batches/waves, it's probably just that they haven't got to you yet - especially since loads of people still haven't received their results. I didn't receive mine until August last year :smile:

I believe the accommodation portal is completely separate though, if you've received any information about an offer it should be on the same place that you applied for accommodation?

https://webapp1.st-andrews.ac.uk/AccommodationSignIn/loginForm.htm
Original post by Emily141
I wouldn't be worried! They send those emails out in batches/waves, it's probably just that they haven't got to you yet - especially since loads of people still haven't received their results. I didn't receive mine until August last year :smile:

I believe the accommodation portal is completely separate though, if you've received any information about an offer it should be on the same place that you applied for accommodation?

https://webapp1.st-andrews.ac.uk/AccommodationSignIn/loginForm.htm

thanks!! I was worried because my offer has been unconditional for over 3 weeks now and I was wondering when they usually send these emails, but I guess I'll just have to wait a little longer :smile:

That's what I thought too at first, but on their accommodation FAQ they put that once the SA email account is activated, every information would be sent there ( https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/accommodation/ug/faqs/ ). But I think you're right because it seems like I should be able to see it on the same page I applied, and as long as I don't have the entrant email, they'll probably send it directly to my email.
annoyingly, my school deleted all of us from our email system so I can't access the email address which I provided to St. Andrews.
I don't remember my St. Andrews student ID as I can't find the letter they sent me, however, if I email the admissions office and quote my UCAS ID do you think they'd be able to help me?
thank you!

Latest

Trending

Trending