The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough- russell groups

does it matter that loughborough is not a russell group?

Do some employers specify that they want people from RGs only?
I have an idea for TSR, make a FAQ for constantly asked boring questions.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
Original post by random_matt
I have an idea for TSR, make a FAQ for constantly asked boring questions.

lolz, unhelpful
Original post by Anonymous

No sane employer would do that. Just imagine the conversation:

Employer: Can we get people only from Russell Group universities?

HR: Why, what is wrong with non-RG students?

Employer: I don't think they are good enough. I went to a Russell Group university.

HR: I did not. I went to Bournemouth and had a great time. I am also standing here talking to you. Are you suggesting that I am not good enough to do my job?

Employer: Oh, I am so sorry. I did not mean it like that. You are definitely good enough.

HR: I don't believe that. I have to report you for discrimination.

doesn't matter noone cares
Original post by Wired_1800

Employer: I don't think they are good enough. I went to a Russell Group university.

HR: I did not. I went to Bournemouth and had a great time. I am also standing here talking to you. Are you suggesting that I am not good enough to do my job?

Employer: Oh, I am so sorry. I did not mean it like that. You are definitely good enough.

Employer: oh I didn't know you went to a non-RG, you're fired.
Employer: oh I didn't know you went to a non-RG, you're fired.

HR: Thank you very much. You will hear from my lawyers for unfair dismissal.
Reply 7
If there's an employer out there that can actually list which unis are in the Russell Group, I'd be surprised.
Loughborough's got a good reputation, that's really all you need.
Reply 8

nah obviously not. I more mean when they are skimming through CVs... there has to be a way to immediately rule some out.
nah obviously not. I more mean when they are skimming through CVs... there has to be a way to immediately rule some out.

There are criteria used, I think, such as 2.1, not doing the degrees needed, having no good extra-curriculars etc.

Many employers seem to now use online tests to reduce the number of applicants from the start. So before they see your application, you should have gone through tests.
Doesn’t make a difference I mean the whole Russel group thing is a myth anyways they are research unis. As an undergrad that doesn’t make a difference. Loughborough is a very credible uni now so don’t worry.

I asked about this on the open day, Lboro is not part of the Russell group as they don’t have a medical school! It is also related to there intake size, they are not big enough to generate a large research output!

Most of the time employers don’t even know what unis are Russell group and what that even means! Don’t let this little tag sway your option when applying! Unis like Bath and St Andrews aren’t Russell group and just like Loughborough are very sort after.
Reply 12

That's wrong mums a recruiter in sales and even then they ask for Russell group unis
Original post by jackn360
That's wrong mums a recruiter in sales and even then they ask for Russell group unis
Ask your mother again. Many employers are moving away from RG unis. Even some employers are removing grade requirements such as 2.1.

PS: this thread is old, so it will be shut soon. Best to create a new one and tag me.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 14
Lancaster, Bath, St Andrews, Loughborough, Leicester, and Reading aren't in the Russell Group and they do fine work that betters or equals some Russell Group members, either in general or for specifics. They used to be part of the 1994 Group which got disbanded when some universities joined the Russell Group.
Lancaster is currently 4th out of all UK universities for percentage of staff conducting high quality research (above Edinburgh), Bath 7th (above UCL and Southampton), Loughborough and St Andrews joint 10th (above Durham, KCL, Nottingham, Bristol, Sheffield, Manchester, LSE, York and others). Even though Leicester and Reading are joint 37th, they're above RG members Liverpool, Cardiff, Warwick, and Glasgow.
For research quality, Lancaster's 18th (above Cardiff, Leeds, Exeter, Nottingham, Durham), Bath and St Andrews joint 25th, Loughborough and Leicester joint 27th, (above Newcastle, Queen's University Belfast), Reading is 37th.

n.b. some of those have medical schools. In fact, Leicester is often top 10 for Medicine (except for average entry grades of course) and is currently ranked 10th for it, Lancaster 13th, St Andrews 14th,
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending