The Student Room Group

Do Asian people view white people in the same way white people view chavs?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Bonged.
Lol, would you say the same of southern whites attacking their daughters for going out with blacks? Something tells me they would just be racists.

Yes, having a closed society is, in many ways. racist.
Reply 21
Original post by mevidek
Yes, having a closed society is, in many ways. racist.

So presumably if an asian girl would get beaten for going out with a white boy, the people beating her look down on white people/are racist.
Original post by Bonged.
So presumably if an asian girl would get beaten for going out with a white boy, the people beating her look down on white people/are racist.

If she's getting beaten up someone should call the police. I don't know if it'd be regarded as a racially motivated attack, I doubt it. I'd agree it does appear to be racist although they'd argue on the grounds of culture rather than race.
Original post by Bonged.
It depends if by chav you just mean - "white working class" or if you mean "mugs old ladies".

You seem confused.

Chavs don't necessarily break the law or attack other people. It's more of a lifestyle and attitude towards life. Personally I don't hate them like other people.
Reply 24
Original post by Brutal Honesty
Chavs don't necessarily break the law or attack other people. It's more of a lifestyle and attitude towards life. Personally I don't hate them like other people.

You seem to be suggesting that "chavs" have to be white to be chavs.
Reply 25
Original post by Bonged.

I think it's more to do with religion and culture as compare to race. If an Asian Muslim girl was dating a white Muslim guy, I doubt she would get a beating for it.
Original post by Bonged.
You seem to be suggesting that "chavs" have to be white to be chavs.

Chav is generally attributed to white people. Gangster is the term for black people. I don't think I've ever heard of a black person being referred to as a chav.
Reply 27
Original post by Brutal Honesty
Chav is generally attributed to white people. Gangster is the term for black people. I don't think I've ever heard of a black person being referred to as a chav.

Hm. So its got racial as well as class elements. I can see why it's such a popular term atm. People gotta put someone down!
Original post by localfox1000

If someone tries and do something different/out of the norm, they can condemned for "acting white" , or "loosing their roots".

There exists this small mindedness, in Asian culture.

That was practically the theme-tune to my adolescence! By having a myspace page I was acting "white" apparently :confused:
A lot of my (Asian) friends have said their parents said similar things to them when they did something slightly different; their parents would accuse them of acting like a white person, like being white equates you to being a murdering paedo or something.

I'll agree, some Asians are rather small-minded when it comes to different cultures, you only need to have a look at a few threads on TSR to see that. What I've noticed though is that a lot of Asians use the chavvy behaviour thing as a label for all whites, which obviously isn't correct. Same with people stereotyping Asians.

Both Asians and British (whites) think their lifestyle/culture is superior. Not entirely sure why.
Reply 29
No. What a ridiculous question.
Reply 30
Possibly. I can imagine that many close knit traditional Asian families look down upon whites for their individualist, decadent, morally reprehensible ways. Similarly some whites may view Asian conformism and religious adherence as outdated and a bit backward. In many ways this is actually a proxy for the communist/capitalist individualist/collectivist debate so both sets of arguments have been well rehearsed.
Original post by Bonged.
Hm. So its got racial as well as class elements. I can see why it's such a popular term atm. People gotta put someone down!

As David Starkey put it, "The whites have become black". I don't see anything wrong with the term or disliking the lifestyle, I noticed the use of the term became popular when the Jeremy Kyle show went on air.
Original post by Ami
I'm Asian and I can differentiate between a chav and a white person LOL

I like how you say that, like chav is an entire different category of race:biggrin:
Reply 33
Original post by Ayshizzle
That was practically the theme-tune to my adolescence! By having a myspace page I was acting "white" apparently :confused:
A lot of my (Asian) friends have said their parents said similar things to them when they did something slightly different; their parents would accuse them of acting like a white person, like being white equates you to being a murdering paedo or something.

I'll agree, some Asians are rather small-minded when it comes to different cultures, you only need to have a look at a few threads on TSR to see that. What I've noticed though is that a lot of Asians use the chavvy behaviour thing as a label for all whites, which obviously isn't correct. Same with people stereotyping Asians.

Both Asians and British (whites) think their lifestyle/culture is superior. Not entirely sure why.

Their cultures suit the different environments from which they came.
You ask that question as if the incidental phenomenon of being Asian or 'white' somehow indicates one's psychological traits, which it doesn't. Asian and 'white' people are not collective entities and should not be seen as such.
Reply 35
If they were as judgemental as you, then yes probably.
Original post by Ayshizzle

`
I've dealt with something similar, only a couple of times though.

There seems to be a cultural wall of staunch conservatism and conformity. They are not necessarily bad things but I think, in the case of South Asian culture, these attitudes can be limiting for personal and societal growth.

Hmm, but perhaps change is inevitable even if it might take longer.
(edited 12 years ago)
I am an Asian and all my mates are white
I'm asian and I can tell SOME do. Esp. the older generation that migrated to this country seem to have this ridiculous view :/
I'm a British Asian & while my parents might think that (mainly cos of religious/cultural reasons) I don't at all. My best mate at Uni is pretty much a well-mannered genius lol. If anything he would look down on me since I speak like a chav compared to the vocabulary he uses & always seem to end up asking him for help with my studies :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending