The Student Room Group

AS results and A2 choices for cambridge

hi i hope to apply next year to study philosophy at cambridge
i've just got my AS level results
english lit - a
theology -a
english lang - a
physics - b

all my A's are above 95% but will cambridge know this. i am worried about applying with a b, because even though i am re-taking my practical module (C) will cambridge know this and will they see this as something good or bad

i don't know whether i should continue with all 4 subjects, i'll be predicted 4A's, and hopefully get them. or should i drop physics and try and concentrate on getting 3 a*s ? my school won't predict a*s because it's the first year there out, so will dropping physics ruin my chances or will they have seen my ums marks from AS??
you have to provide UMS scores for everything when you apply, but don't worry, i applied with a b (in chemistry) and got in. dropping phyics probably won't harm your application since it's not too relevant to philosophy.
If I were in your place I'd drop Physics.
Reply 3
Cambridge will see your modules when you fill out your SAQ. You should draw attention to them in your PS because they are very good. The dodgy module really shouldn't make much of a difference.

I'd recommend carrying on with 4, you can always drop one if you don't make the offer, and it's not really that much effort anyway.

Try and talk your teachers into predicting you A*s because it could swing it and you clearly have good enough results to justify it. I mean, at my school the teachers generally predicted grades 1 or 2 above what we'd gotten at AS anyway.
Reply 4
Oh great, so either way, they'll see my As are high so i'm not just scraping into top marks
Reply 5
Yep, though it takes fecking ages to fill all the modules out on the form. Good luck anyway. :smile:
Reply 6
haha are they on ucas? or what?
Reply 7
mwilliamson
haha are they on ucas? or what?

Nope, when you submit your UCAS form they give you login details to the online SAQ form, where there's all sorts of rubbish to fill in. It takes ages so do it ASAP :p:

Your grades are fine. If it's just one paper that let you down don't worry about it at all, even Cambridge realises that people are human.
Reply 8
The SAQ. Have fun with that :smile:
http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/apply/saq.html

I'd drop Physics if I were you. One of the things I was told at an Open Day was "don't take any more subjects than you can be sure you'll get an A in". If you drop Physics then you'll be able to focus more on the subjects that are more related to the course you want to do.
Reply 9
thanks everyone! i just get worried when i hear today i girl with 6 As at a level hasn't got a place at any uni haha

Latest

Trending

Trending