The Student Room Group

Have my GCSE grades messed up my future plans?

I'm a Year 12 student and I've always wanted to study at Cambridge but I didn't realise the amount that they (and other top Uni's) care about GCSEs.

I was getting all 9s in my mocks but I got really burnt out and didn't bother fixing it. I basically had the mindset of "I'll get into Sixth Form, it's okay" As a result my GCSE grades really dropped...

I achieved 887766665D :frown: I am however predicted A*A*AA at the moment.

Am I done for? Should I aim for less competitive Universities? Should I think about taking a gap year and applying with my actual A-Level grades???? I honestly feel so guilty about the lack of effort I put into my GCSEs
Original post by airanteau
I'm a Year 12 student and I've always wanted to study at Cambridge but I didn't realise the amount that they (and other top Uni's) care about GCSEs.

I was getting all 9s in my mocks but I got really burnt out and didn't bother fixing it. I basically had the mindset of "I'll get into Sixth Form, it's okay" As a result my GCSE grades really dropped...

Am I done for? Should I aim for less competitive Universities? Should I think about taking a gap year and applying with my actual A-Level grades???? I honestly feel so guilty about the lack of effort I put into my GCSEs

they've messed up your plans to go to Cambridge but haven't messed up your career plans at all, they are excellent grades, hopefully the D wasn't in a critical subject.
Reply 2
Original post by A Rolling Stone
they've messed up your plans to go to Cambridge but haven't messed up your career plans at all, they are excellent grades, hopefully the D wasn't in a critical subject.

That's reassuring. I've read Cambridge really isn't everything. And no, the D was in additional maths where literally everybody else in my class somehow got a U.
Honestly it’s worth a try to apply to Cambridge - if they’ll see you improved a lot from GCSEs they’ll consider it, and they also weight GCSEs so if you went to a really badly performing school that should mean they’ll look at your results way less harshly.

"There are no GCSE (or equivalent) requirements for entry to Cambridge.

"We will look at your GCSE results as an indicator of your academic performance. But this will be within the context of the performance of the school/college where you achieved your GCSEs."
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/before/accepted-qualifications
Reply 5
You apply for 5 so there's no reason Cambridge couldn't be one of them.
That's reassuring. I've read Cambridge really isn't everything. And no, the D was in additional maths where literally everybody else in my class somehow got a U.

Cambridge isn't everything, but it is a lot of (very good) things. Those who run down Oxford and Cambridge or say "they're not all that" sometimes have axes to grind, or are relying on second or third hand sources.

Give Cambridge a go if you have a realistic chance of getting very good A level grades, and can write a good personal statement, get a good reference, and can do well in any relevant subject entrance test. If you don't get in to Cambridge, you will probably get in somewhere else that is also good.

Good luck!

Miss S Byng MA (Oxon)
Reply 7
As above. If it were me, I’d be trying my best to ace the entrance tests.

For Oxford anyway, screening for interview is a combination of the statement, GCSEs (in context) and the entrance exam. If you ace the entrance test it should get you over the line for an interview. And after that point it’s really all about the interview. If you apply, you’ll always get the opportunity of the entrance exam. While it’s weighted along with GCSE grades if you smash the test out of the park, I suspect that might over-ride any slight dip in GCSE marks.

Cambridge I’m not so well up on.

It may be worth looking at an admissions report for your chosen subject at both Oxford and Cambridge. Check if there’s a difference in how Oxford and Cambridge weight it.

Oxford are very open on their process. I’m sure Cambridge are too.

Overall though, although there’s a stated process I suspect if they like the cut of your jib someone may nudge the needle to get you in for an interview and just see how you do…

Is it not at least worth using one of your 5 UCAS choices to have a crack.. ?

Best of luck. 👍

Also, I see you’ve strong predicted grades for A-Level. That feeds in. There’s not much point waiting to apply after A-Levels, you might as well go for it now. If it doesn’t come off AND you get very good A-Levels that will overcome the GCSEs - you could consider re-applying. Nothing to be lost going in now except it uses 1 of the 5 UCAS choices.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest