The Student Room Group

Cambridge resit?

I just got my Cambridge feedback and found out that I was a strong applicant and they considered my grades and alevels'very good' for my English course even though they were only (contextually) A*AA and 776666655... I got rejected because I messed up my second interview by a little. I want to reapply but I think I got BCC in my A-level results. Say this was the case, and I retook and got 4-3 A* will I be reconsidered or is that a slap in the face? I feel like I wasted my potential ahaha
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by sanwwio
I just got my Cambridge feedback and found out that I was a strong applicant and they considered my grades and alevels'very good' for my English course even though they were only (contextually) A*AA and 776666655... I got rejected because I messed up my second interview by a little. I want to reapply but I think I got BCC in my A-level results. Say this was the case, and I retook and got 4-3 A* will I be reconsidered or is that a slap in the face? I feel like I wasted my potential ahaha

Hi there.

We recognise that even the best students can have 'bad days' when an exam doesn’t quite go to plan. Therefore, we’re not concerned if an applicant has retaken or is planning to retake one or two modular AS/A2 Level units for which the results obtained are clearly out of character.

At Cambridge, students are regularly assessed by examination and there's no opportunity to resit any exams (with the exception of professional qualifying examinations in Medicine and Veterinary Medicine). Therefore, we would be concerned about an applicant who is retaking large numbers of exams, unless this number of retakes was justified by circumstances beyond the applicant’s control and explained in their UCAS reference and/or Extenuating Circumstances Form.

Hope that helps a little. Try not to worry about it too much while you don't have your exams results - they may have gone better than you think!
Reply 2
Original post by Pembroke Rep
Hi there.

We recognise that even the best students can have 'bad days' when an exam doesn’t quite go to plan. Therefore, we’re not concerned if an applicant has retaken or is planning to retake one or two modular AS/A2 Level units for which the results obtained are clearly out of character.

At Cambridge, students are regularly assessed by examination and there's no opportunity to resit any exams (with the exception of professional qualifying examinations in Medicine and Veterinary Medicine). Therefore, we would be concerned about an applicant who is retaking large numbers of exams, unless this number of retakes was justified by circumstances beyond the applicant’s control and explained in their UCAS reference and/or Extenuating Circumstances Form.

Hope that helps a little. Try not to worry about it too much while you don't have your exams results - they may have gone better than you think!

Thank you, unfortunately I might need to retake all three of my A-Levels and I understand why that will be concerning, especially to a prestigious university such as Cambridge with such competition. Since I lack mitigating circumstances, is there any way I can improve my chances? Can it also be more likely to be overlooked if I am eligible for contextual offers?
Original post by sanwwio
Thank you, unfortunately I might need to retake all three of my A-Levels and I understand why that will be concerning, especially to a prestigious university such as Cambridge with such competition. Since I lack mitigating circumstances, is there any way I can improve my chances? Can it also be more likely to be overlooked if I am eligible for contextual offers?

Cambridge does not give contextual offers, but looks at contextual data in order to form a more complete picture of each applicant. You can find more information here: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/contextual-data

It would be worth you waiting until your results come out and then discussing directly with the College you wish to apply to about the next steps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending