The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
JW92
If you got full marks in a GCSE mock, you shouldn't really have any problems. AS French is just an extension of GCSE, really. I would start digging out your old grammar notes and make sure you know the tenses, though, as I think the main difference between GCSE and AS is that you can't coast by without your grammar knowledge.

Reply 21
MewMachine
AS is a lot lot harder than GCSE. I think it'll depend on how good your grammar is and if you can pick up lots of new vocabulary quickly. The fact that you speak a bit at home is good. However I think what I and many people in my class found hardest was the writing part- have you done a written exam for GCSE before? Most people hadn't (I did coursework) and it took me a large portion of the year before I could write a half decent mini-essay.

Yeah we had to do a few essays for coursework
but i had alot of help on them
i find it easy to like write out the essay in french but i always get the tense wrong, whether its masc or fem..and the accents. :frown: fail.
Reply 22
rossk911
Hey there, I just finished my French A-level.

The first thing I would say is that you HAVE to nail the tenses in the first few weeks. When I started in AS, I certainly did not know them well. I found myself totally lost for about 2 months. Don't worry though, if you actually work at them they just become natural by the time exams come around.
The AS in general is quite different to GCSE, there is less typical 'touristy' stuff to learn. (How to book a hotel, order an ice cream etc.) You will find yourself talking about and debating wider topics such as immigration, crime and punishment or global warming.
i found there was less text book work, more applied tasks. For example, producing presentations, video projects etc. (Although that could just be my school).
All in all, it is SO much better than GCSE French and by the end of year 12 it was by far my favourite subject and now I have a real passion for it. Seriously, just work hard to nail that grammar and you'll actually enjoy this subject! :-)

Aww that makes it sound soo much better ha :smile: Taa very much
Reply 23
Piece of advice
When your teacher tells you to go over the vocab you learnt that lesson...even if it is for 15 minutes or so...
Do It.
Don't think 'oh I can cram some in the day before the exam' like I did...This is why I found the reading the hardest part.
I did find the speaking quite easy though.
Overall French was my hardest subject but it was definitely worth it.
hialiya
Yeah we had to do a few essays for coursework
but i had alot of help on them
i find it easy to like write out the essay in french but i always get the tense wrong, whether its masc or fem..and the accents. :frown: fail.

Yeah I did coursework at GCSE but I'm pretty sure all exam boards make you do a written part in the exam. It's not too bad, but it is hard at first- if your school is good like mine was the teachers make you write them often and help you where you've gone wrong.

As for the masc/fem thing, that's something you kinda need to get right or it's a basic error at AS level. I find that when you learn a word you need to learn whether it's masc or fem at the same time. So I don't think of chicken as "poulet" I think of it as "le poulet" if you get me. That really helps.

You'll be fine- I didn't get an A* at GCSE and just got a good A at AS level. :smile:
I went into french AS without even knowing what any of the tenses were, hardly any vocab, and the only reason I got an A at GCSE was being good at the oral (at GCSE i got A*BBB hahahahaaa)

but this year after learning grammar properly and everything.. i got an A - and a good A at that (128/140 for lrw, 50/60 for the oral) but even in my mock i scraped a B

i didn't find it too hard, but then again i love french and anything french fills me with joy XD
Reply 26
I didn't find it too much more difficult than GCSE tbh. The transition was quite slow. If you're good at languages then you'll be fine with it :smile: But yeah it's similar but they're much pickier about grammar. Make sure you're very comfortable with all of your tenses before you start and you should be fine.
The oral exam was a little bit scarier with an external examiner, but it's just as easy to do well. I wasn't too confident about my French results and came out with 131/140 for the written paper and 55/60 on my oral.
I agree with the above two posters really. I didn't really know how I was going to do but I got like 97.5% or something :P!
If you're good at languages it really wasn't much harder than GCSE - they'll be upping the game for A2 tho :/

Latest

Trending

Trending