The Student Room Group

IB French Advice

So I did at French and got the grade at high school level/GCSE equivalent.

I'm doing French B SL and it is not going well. I have been revising all summer (for my French retake) and it is becoming too much for. As an SL, I should not be putting that much time to this subject, and still not do well.

Is there anyway for me to move down to French ab initio? Any special circumstances?
It would depend on your school. At my secondary school it was compulsory to do a B language and if you weren’t good enough to change to a new language at Ab Initio level. However, when I moved to the UK, my sixth form tried to force me to do ab initio because I wasn’t fluent in French so it really depends on how strict your school is about following the IB rules. I refused to switch and continued with French B because I had done French through middle school and felt it was the ethical thing to do. It did take a lot of work, but in my case it was worth it as I improved so much and have enjoyed putting it into practise during my trips to France post graduation and will possibly even complete a French module as part of my medicine degree. I would speak to your French teacher and IB coordinator to see what your options are
Reply 2
Original post by IBkidinthecorner
It would depend on your school. At my secondary school it was compulsory to do a B language and if you weren’t good enough to change to a new language at Ab Initio level. However, when I moved to the UK, my sixth form tried to force me to do ab initio because I wasn’t fluent in French so it really depends on how strict your school is about following the IB rules. I refused to switch and continued with French B because I had done French through middle school and felt it was the ethical thing to do. It did take a lot of work, but in my case it was worth it as I improved so much and have enjoyed putting it into practise during my trips to France post graduation and will possibly even complete a French module as part of my medicine degree. I would speak to your French teacher and IB coordinator to see what your options are

I will do not worry! Thank you for reaching out:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by zop-
So I did at French and got the grade at high school level/GCSE equivalent.

I'm doing French B SL and it is not going well. I have been revising all summer (for my French retake) and it is becoming too much for. As an SL, I should not be putting that much time to this subject, and still not do well.

Is there anyway for me to move down to French ab initio? Any special circumstances?

Are you already registered for the exams? If yes then it’s most likely impossible. You need to talk to your coordinator and ask them to change it on the form they’re sending to IB.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending