The Student Room Group
I study International Business Economics (going into my 2nd year) at the Maastricht University at the moment, and have to say, I love it. Great international feel, good city size and most Dutch can speak English fluently.

The education standards are very high in the Netherlands (especially in Maastricht), and most courses are in English.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Phe-Phi-Pho Phoom
I study International Business Economics (going into my 2nd year) at the Maastricht University at the moment, and have to say, I love it. Great international feel, good city size and most Dutch can speak English fluently.

The education standards are very high in the Netherlands (especially in Maastricht), and most courses are in English.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

OMG you're just the person I needed, I'm interested in studying the European Law Bachelor's programme at Maastricht University and also the Amsterdam University as a second choice can you advise me on whether this is a good decision instead of the UK uni's and how is the

Country its self
People are they welcoming i.e is it easy to fit in
University life here
The student community
Importantly Accommodation ( I had there is a real shortage for students here)
Guess you're lucky I decided to venture on here again, lol.

Well, I'm going to be quite biased, because I find Maastricht fantastic, as a city and as a Uni.

The country is easily nicer than the UK (and I don't mean that in a bad way; I'm part German, we HATE to admit anything good about the Dutch). The people are extremely open minded, friendly and helpful. There is also a very big international community in Maastricht. I think we have roughly 13,000 students, of which 50% I'd say are international. And, as previously mentioned, EVERYONE can speak English.

I have friends who are at the Law faculty, and they seem to be pretty pleased with what they are doing. It's a solid faculty, and a good course.

The university life I quite enjoy. There's very much a cafe culture (cafe=pub). We have 2 clubs, and there's always a party going on anywhere. Having said that, there is no pressure to go out drinking every night, plenty of people rather have a relaxing evening. Overall, there is a lot happening in Maastricht, along with the sports, cultural events, etc.

I hang out more with Germans and non Dutch, and I quite enjoy the community. Maastricht being a relatively rich city means there is a very small "lower class", if you will. This sounds snobby, but what it does mean is that there are no bad neighborhoods, few fights, very little crime, and a lot of freedom within the student community.

Accommodation is easy, with the right amount of money. A lot of students have a budget of about 300-400 euros a month for accommodation. That can make it tough. But once you're willing to pay a bit extra (I pay 425 incl. water, heat, electricity and I live right in the middle of town) there's tons of places to stay. Failing that, you can find cheaper places further away from the city center. Just start searching in advance.

Anymore questions I can help you with?

And when do you intend on going to Uni?

And you might notice I didn't really comment on Amsterdam. Personally, it's a nice city, but I've never spent very long though. If you like big cities, Amsterdam is for you, otherwise, forget it.
Reply 4
Academically, I believe Amsterdam and Utrecht are the best universities in Holland, but it would depend what course you were planning to study - I have no experience in Law so I do not know.

Your reasoning, however, is quite poor, and I would suggest that part of the problem is your suggestion that value for money is a legitimate indicator for education. Irrespective of this, the UK has by far the best universities in Europe, and if you take into account the fact you do not pay anywhere near the same amount as you would in America you realise the UK offers exceptional value for money...
Reply 5
evantej

Irrespective of this, the UK has by far the best universities in Europe,

lol no
Reply 6
KLL
lol no

Nice argument. The following proves otherwise.
Reply 7
evantej
Nice argument. The following proves otherwise.

Lol, read how the rankig nwas compiled and come back and talk.
Might aswell quote the bible.
Reply 8
KLL
Lol, read how the rankig nwas compiled and come back and talk.
Might aswell quote the bible.

I do not understand. What exactly is wrong with their methodology?

I suppose the Times Higher Education and Shanghai Jiao Tong University are completely wrong. The thousands of international students who pay ridiculous sums of money to attend British universities are completely wrong. And the academics who work in the universities in British universities must be idiots.

All because you say: “lol no”.
Reply 9
evantej
I do not understand. What exactly is wrong with their methodology?

I suppose the Times Higher Education and Shanghai Jiao Tong University are completely wrong. The thousands of international students who pay ridiculous sums of money to attend British universities are completely wrong. And the academics who work in the universities in British universities must be idiots.

All because you say: “lol no”.

Well i'd have an easier time to take appart the THE Ranking, as i've read them through in more detail (LSE ranking around 400?)

But i can tell you that the ranking is mainly based on the amount of citations in selected ENGLISH language journals, with 20% of the entire weighting going towrds citations i nthe magazines Nature and Science, placing very high emphasis on natural sciences. So 40% of the ranking is based on very dodgy criteria already.

and jsut a brief wiki shows:
http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00388319/fr/
fter having recalled how the ranking is built, we first discuss the relevance of the criteria and then analyze the proposed aggregation method. Our analysis uses tools and concepts from Multiple Criteria Decision Making (MCDM). Our main conclusions are that the criteria that are used are not relevant, that the aggregation methodology is plagued by a number of major problems and that the whole exercise suffers from an insufficient attention paid to fundamental structuring issues. Hence, our view is that the Shanghai ranking, in spite of the media coverage it receives, does not qualify as a useful and pertinent tool to discuss the "quality" of academic institutions, let alone to guide the choice of students and family or to promote reforms of higher education systems

And eve nthe makers of the ranking themselves say:
The quality of universities cannot be precisely measured by mere numbers. Therefore, any ranking is controversial and no ranking is absolutely objective. People should be cautious about any ranking including our Academic Ranking of World Universities.

It would be impossible to have a comprehensive ranking of universities worldwide, because of the huge differences of universities in the large variety of countries and the technical difficulties in obtaining internationally comparable data. Our ranking is using carefully selected indicators and internationally comparable third-party data that everyone could check.
http://www.arwu.org/rank2008/ARWU2008FAQ(EN).htm

and there are some rankings where british unis indeed don't do well, for example this one compiled by the EU: ftp://ftp.cordis.europa.eu/pub/indicators/docs/3rd_report_snaps10.pdf

i figured i'd save you and me all that by jsut saying "lol no"

Latest

Trending

Trending