The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

xug
How much does an umbrella cost in St Andrews? Should I buy when I arrive or take it to fly half of the globe?

Depends how cheap you could get one at home, and how likely a visit to Dundee would be. I'm pretty sure that Primark will sell really cheap umbrellas, and I've heard good reports of their durability. However, if you had a look round St Andrews, you could probably find something for under £5.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 21
St Andrews can have really nice weather. The week before everyone left this year, we had some really hot sunny weather - I saw so many people at the End of Year Bop with sunburns.

Having said that, past October/November, prepare for horizontal rain. I took and umbrella which soon broke in the wind. I recommend investing in a really good raincoat/kagool: Make sure it is long, light and not warm (wear a jumper to keep warm). Layers are also good

One problem I still haven’t figured out an answer to is when the rain drips from your raincoat to your trousers - nothing worse than lectures in soggy jeans...
the_aspie
St Andrews can have really nice weather. The week before everyone left this year, we had some really hot sunny weather - I saw so many people at the End of Year Bop with sunburns.

Having said that, past October/November, prepare for horizontal rain. I took and umbrella which soon broke in the wind. I recommend investing in a really good raincoat/kagool: Make sure it is long, light and not warm (wear a jumper to keep warm). Layers are also good

One problem I still haven’t figured out an answer to is when the rain drips from your raincoat to your trousers - nothing worse than lectures in soggy jeans...

Waterproof trousers :biggrin: I wear them if I'm cycling and it's pissing it down, since my jeans get sodden if I don't.

I can't remember whether I already said this or not - the little fold up umbrellas are no good for in the wind, if people are wanting to buy an umbrella, go for a full sized golf one. I know you can get them from Sportsworld in the Overgate in Dundee for $2.50(stupid american keyboard has no pound :mad: )

If you manage to stay in St Andrews over the summer, there's even beach weather! We went swimming and had bbq at the beach in July :biggrin: You can go swimming in May as well...it's just really really cold. I don't know if it's true but I heard in May that the actual temparature of the sea is at it's coldest,something to do with it being such a large body of water and heat dissapation rates. Could be bollo cks though.

Latest

Trending

Trending