The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

To be honest, I don't care that much about where my funding comes from and debt as long as I can be a doctor. I know that I will be earning a steady salary so I don't give a **** about being in £40k of debt at the end of it. Money isn't really what interests me providing I can support a family.

I'll have a weak shot at asking SLC to fund it, failing that I'll just get a CDL from a highstreet bank.
GodspeedGehenna
To be honest, I don't care that much about where my funding comes from and debt as long as I can be a doctor. I know that I will be earning a steady salary so I don't give a **** about being in £40k of debt at the end of it. Money isn't really what interests me providing I can support a family.

I'll have a weak shot at asking SLC to fund it, failing that I'll just get a CDL from a highstreet bank.

No, I understand that, I'm the same. I don't want a student loan because it'll be cheaper, I want a student fee loan because it covers the bit I'm most worried about being able to pay. If I could have the fee loan to cover that and the CDL to cover living costs, I'd be happy. But realistically, over £13,000 in fees plus say £3,500 rent x5 years is £30,500, not including food, travel, books, etc. The £10,000 you can get from the bank just isn't going to stretch that far! Plus, like I said, you can only have it for 5 years, then you have to pay it all back in full. Where are you supposed to find £10,000 plus 9.9% interest from just like that? It wouldn't be so bad if I knew I wasn't entitled to anything, but seeing everyone apart from the people that decide whether to pay out agree that I should, it's infuriating.
ilovehotchocolate
:smile: Thank you, much appreciated.....

Hey did you try the NatWest Professional Trainee Loan?

http://www.natwest.com/personal/loans/g1/professional-training-loan/trainee.ashx

I've phoned up about it and you should be able to get £4000 a year for the duration of the course. This may vary from branch to branch though, and the lady I spoke to said they would normally only give loans to 2nd years and up.
Captshiznit
Hows your revision going apot? I had noticed a while ago you are also doing the gamsat just hadn't asked. I sware organic chemistry is going to be the death of me. I had work yesterday so managed to squeeze in hour before work. Then got some so nackered thought I better try squeeze in another hour and bit at least. I was just like this is torture....

Hey,

It's getting there but very slowly. Thankfully I did A-level Physics and AS Chemistry, and I seem to remember an awful lot of Biology from GCSE so it's not going as badly as it could be. I just keep trying to squeeze in an hour's worth during my lunch break plus I've got a 40min bus journey each way which I tend to use to read some more (although after a day at work, it's the last thing I want to do). Also started doing stuff late at night as I've always been an evening worker.

Not even thought about Section 1 yet (but have got the UCAS/ACER books on order) and the essay section - I've got the Griffiths review and that GAMSAT website gives some pretty decent help. I spent 4 years writing essays about philosophical quotes so am not overly worried about that part.

I should be doing some Chemistry now but alas, I had to say goodbye to one of my colleagues this afternoon and my close neighbour's just had a stroke so the mind is elsewhere :frown:

Re: funding for 5 year courses. It's why I'm applying to the 5 year course that's in a commutable distance. Means I can use the maintenance loan to pay my fees and run a car. There's no way I'd be taking out a CDL - I've seen what it does to people.
apotoftea
Hey,

It's getting there but very slowly. Thankfully I did A-level Physics and AS Chemistry, and I seem to remember an awful lot of Biology from GCSE so it's not going as badly as it could be. I just keep trying to squeeze in an hour's worth during my lunch break plus I've got a 40min bus journey each way which I tend to use to read some more (although after a day at work, it's the last thing I want to do). Also started doing stuff late at night as I've always been an evening worker.

Not even thought about Section 1 yet (but have got the UCAS/ACER books on order) and the essay section - I've got the Griffiths review and that GAMSAT website gives some pretty decent help. I spent 4 years writing essays about philosophical quotes so am not overly worried about that part.

I should be doing some Chemistry now but alas, I had to say goodbye to one of my colleagues this afternoon and my close neighbour's just had a stroke so the mind is elsewhere :frown:

Re: funding for 5 year courses. It's why I'm applying to the 5 year course that's in a commutable distance. Means I can use the maintenance loan to pay my fees and run a car. There's no way I'd be taking out a CDL - I've seen what it does to people.

Yeah sounds like me I don't work every day but I still find myself revising very late in the evening, sorry to hear about that too that sucks. Keep chipping at it, I know how you feel :frown:. Also I havn't started section 1 yet either but I figure next month will be about right because only way to do it is practise loads of MCQ's I gathered.

Section 2 well, I'm just going to familiarise myself with best structure to follow do some practise essays and then hope for best aside that I don't see how else to prepare for it.

ilovehotchocolate
No, I understand that, I'm the same. I don't want a student loan because it'll be cheaper, I want a student fee loan because it covers the bit I'm most worried about being able to pay. If I could have the fee loan to cover that and the CDL to cover living costs, I'd be happy. But realistically, over £13,000 in fees plus say £3,500 rent x5 years is £30,500, not including food, travel, books, etc. The £10,000 you can get from the bank just isn't going to stretch that far! Plus, like I said, you can only have it for 5 years, then you have to pay it all back in full. Where are you supposed to find £10,000 plus 9.9% interest from just like that? It wouldn't be so bad if I knew I wasn't entitled to anything, but seeing everyone apart from the people that decide whether to pay out agree that I should, it's infuriating.

You will find a way, just got a feeling you will, same way I thought you'd get a place this year. Still rooting for you! don't give up.

GodspeedGehenna

Yeah that's my plan aswell if I fail to wangle funding, how well it will work remains to be seen. Apparently it can be quite difficult to even secure a CDL from banks :/.
ilovehotchocolate
Plus, like I said, you can only have it for 5 years, then you have to pay it all back in full.

:eek: What?!
GodspeedGehenna
:eek: What?!

The CDL has to be paid back in full from the moment you finish the course, plus any interest.
apotoftea
The CDL has to be paid back in full from the moment you finish the course, plus any interest.

**** me. What's the point in that?

apotoftea
-

Wait, are you sure about this? The CDL's that I've looked at don't charge interest during the period of study. From that, you can assume there IS interest after you graduate, and subsequently you can assume that it is paid back in installments. It just doesn't make sense otherwise.
GodspeedGehenna
**** me.

:yep: It's why I said I won't ever have one. They're really really not a good option to get involved in. And whilst the chances of getting a job straight after graduating are high given it's Medicine and the current system, it's still one heck of a financial noose to have round your neck.

ETS: the idea is that the money helps you to gain a better job in theory and thus be able to pay it back straight away.
Here we go, Natwest's Professional Trainee Loan Scheme:
You don't need to make any repayments while studying 1, plus you:

* can borrow up to £20,000 (£25,000, if you're studying full-time for the Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL), Legal Practice Course (LPC) or Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC))
* can draw the loan in one lump sum or instalments
* don't have repayments for at least six months after you finish your course 2
* have up to ten years to repay your loan 3
* can choose a fixed or variable interest rate
* don't have to pay any arrangement or administration fees
* can borrow up to the cost of your course fees if you're studying part-time for a GDL, LPC or BVC

Although, it says if you are studying for an undergraduate, you can only borrow in your second year. I'm not sure where GEP falls here.

http://www.natwest.com/personal/loans/g1/professional-training-loan/trainee.ashx
apotoftea

You start paying it back from the moment you graduate over a period of up to 10 years.

For example, if you take out £20,000 with an APR of 8.9% and 120 month repayment period it equates to monthly payments of £314 a month.
GodspeedGehenna
Here we go, Natwest's Professional Trainee Loan Scheme:
You don't need to make any repayments while studying 1, plus you:

* can borrow up to £20,000 (£25,000, if you're studying full-time for the Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL), Legal Practice Course (LPC) or Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC))
* can draw the loan in one lump sum or instalments
* don't have repayments for at least six months after you finish your course 2
* have up to ten years to repay your loan 3
* can choose a fixed or variable interest rate
* don't have to pay any arrangement or administration fees
* can borrow up to the cost of your course fees if you're studying part-time for a GDL, LPC or BVC

Although, it says if you are studying for an undergraduate, you can only borrow in your second year. I'm not sure where GEP falls here.

Is that a CDL in the true sense though? The people I know who got CDLs barely got 5 figures worth. But I'm not 100% sure on any of them. I do know I won't take one out. Although Natwest are one of the few banks not to have immediate re-payment.
fortysixandtwo
You start paying it back from the moment you graduate over a period of up to 10 years.

For example, if you take out £20,000 with an APR of 8.9% and 120 month repayment period it equates to monthly payments of £314 a month.

But £314 per month on the top of rent (which if you were London based could be something like £800 a month), bills, food, extra stuff, student loan repayments, tax and national insurance doesn't exactly mean living the life of Riley on a FY1/FY2 salary.

The point I was trying to make it that you HAVE to start paying back a CDL the moment your course finishes (for most of them anyway). I know people who finished their MAs, couldn't find a job and were having to get their parents/spouses to start repaying the CDL because they couldn't.
apotoftea
But £314 per month on the top of rent (which if you were London based could be something like £800 a month), bills, food, extra stuff, student loan repayments, tax and national insurance doesn't exactly mean living the life of Riley on a FY1/FY2 salary.

The point I was trying to make it that you HAVE to start paying back a CDL the moment your course finishes (for most of them anyway). I know people who finished their MAs, couldn't find a job and were having to get their parents/spouses to start repaying the CDL because they couldn't.

Yeah I know that things will probably be a little tight regarding money for a few years after graduation but my earning potential as a doctor is pretty big (I doubt I'll take out as much as £20k anyway but we'll see).

I definitely wouldn't do it for any other degree. Plus, for many it's the only option for funding.
fortysixandtwo
Yeah I know that things will probably be a little tight regarding money for a few years after graduation but my earning potential as a doctor is pretty big (I doubt I'll take out as much as £20k anyway but we'll see).

I definitely wouldn't do it for any other degree. Plus, for many it's the only option for funding.

Yeah, the thought of that financial noose just scares me big time hence my hatred of that sort of loan :o:
apotoftea
Yeah, the thought of that financial noose just scares me big time hence my hatred of that sort of loan

Yeah I know what you mean and me too. Though the way I see it (and what I keep telling myself), is that it's a good reason to get into debt.
I'm just glad I'm fortunate to have a very tolerant partner to help support me financially somewhat!
But financial worries aside, I've got to pass the sodding GAMSAT first :work:
apotoftea
But financial worries aside, I've got to pass the sodding GAMSAT first :work:

You will. :yep:
I know this mightn't be an option for all of you but have you thought about being a home care assistant while studying the 1st 2 years. Even working only 10 hours a week (one Saturday shift) it is possible to pay your fess in cash each year.

Latest

Trending

Trending