The Student Room Group

Polar Opinions/advice

Hi

I rang Sussex University a few weeks ago. After explaining my age, what studies I have completed and so forth I was advised that based on that it's likely that I would be given an unconditional offer to start a BA.

Today I rang up about another matter, and ended up going over the information I had provided first time round. This time I was told it's likely that because I was out of formal education for "so long" it's likely I would be placed on an access course.

Both people I spoke to were given the same facts. The first left me feeling enthusiastic and happy. The second left me feeling deflated. Not their fault, I suppose, but the polarity of the advice given has made me feel really deflated.

I last studied at a university in 1994. I did not complete my degree. My credits have been compared by NARIC and they are comparable to British standards. I finally have the funds and the motivation to get going, and I have two completely different pieces of advice. I don't want to do an access course, I am sure I can cope quite well with studying full time.

The person I spoke to today said that I could write a "really strong" personal statement, and as my intended degree would be in English, that I should make note of any studies or reading that I have done in English. I have not read any English literature in a long time, preferring to read news or other online articles.
:s-smilie:

Have any of you experienced similar situations?

Latest

Trending

Trending