The Student Room Group

The English language assessment from the Language Centre at Cambridge

Hi guys I have received an MPhil conditional offer from Cambridge, on which I am required to attend the online English language assessment from the language centre at Cambridge. Is there any one who used to attend one or know anything about this assessment? Could you please share your experience and probably some advice? Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Hi, I’m in the same situation. did you take it ? How was the structure ?
Reply 2
Original post by Alicace0

No I haven't yet, but I will do so very soon.

I took the test a couple of days ago and it was pretty easy, although very long. Make sure you have at least 3-4 hours to spend doing it.
It is divided into reading, listening and writing.
In the reading section I had to read two extracts and write a short essay on a specific question (around 250-300 words).
In the listening part I had to listen to an audio file (an extract from a history lecture, about 10 minutes long) and summarize its content (around 200 words).
In the writing section I had to explain my PhD project to an educated person who was not familiar with the topic (300-350 words).

There were two more exercises, one in which I had to rephrase a sentence and transform it into academic English, and another one in which I had to assess my English level.

They are calling me on Wednesday for the speaking assessment, so maybe I will update you with the content of the interview
:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Polar Mary
I took the test a couple of days ago and it was pretty easy, although very long. Make sure you have at least 3-4 hours to spend doing it.
In the reading section I had to read two extracts and write a short essay on a specific question (around 250-300 words).
In the listening part I had to listen to an audio file (an extract from a history lecture, about 10 minutes long) and summarize its content (around 200 words).
In the writing section I had to explain my PhD project to an educated person who was not familiar with the topic (300-350 words).

There were two more exercises, one in which I had to rephrase a sentence and transform it into academic English, and another one in which I had to assess my English level.

They are calling me on Wednesday for the speaking assessment, so maybe I will update you with the content of the interview

Thanks for sharing this, which is absolutely helpful. Wish you the best of luck and look forward to your updates!
Reply 5

This info is very helpful. Please let me know when you take your speaking test. Good wishes
Good morning!
I can finally give you an update on the speaking assessment.
It was a Skype call, it only lasted 5 minutes and I was asked four very general questions.

1) "Tell me about your project".
2) "Why are you interested in this particular topic?"
3) "Why did you apply to this program in particular?"
4) "Why did you choose to apply to a British University?".

There were also a few niceties and a brief explanation of the evaluation process and their communication with PAO.

I hope this helps :smile:
Good luck to you all!!!
@Polar Mary
Hi..
Thankyou so much for the valuable input.
I may also need to give the exam, because my ielts writing module is 6.5. I am also bit stressed with this assessment.
Can we please talk a bit more about the exam if its okay with you?

Thanks a ton for your valuable input. I am in the same situation. I have a conditional offer from Cambridge. My ielts writing module is 6.5 , requirement is 7. I may need to give the assessment as I am short of 0.5. I am bit worried too. Can we please talk a bit more about the exam if its okay with you? @Polar Mary
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by tanushreeagarwal
Thanks a ton for your valuable input. I am in the same situation. I have a conditional offer from Cambridge. My ielts writing module is 6.5 , requirement is 7. I may need to give the assessment as I am short of 0.5. I am bit worried too. Can we please talk a bit more about the exam if its okay with you?

Sure, no problem!
Sure, no problem!

Thanks a lot. Did you also give ielts or any other ? I thought I just have to give writing exam, because I passed the requirement in all other three. So I am not if I have to write all sections again in their exam or just writing part? @Polar Mary
This info is very helpful. Please let me know when you take your speaking test. Good wishes

In the reading section,
you said Just one specific question is asked and writing 250 words is a lot for it. Is the question very general or is related to passage? Do I expect to find the answer in passage or make my own answer? It would be great if you could post question if you remember.
And listening part , I can hear audio only once or more? Again summary of lecture, do they expect us to write exactly what told in audio? Or with rephrasing sentences write on general! It is very diff to Ielts pattern. Are there any previous question for this , any site I can use to prepare for it.

@Polar Mary sorry for so many questions, thanks in advance
Original post by tanushreeagarwal
In the reading section,
you said Just one specific question is asked and writing 250 words is a lot for it. Is the question very general or is related to passage? Do I expect to find the answer in passage or make my own answer? It would be great if you could post question if you remember.
And listening part , I can hear audio only once or more? Again summary of lecture, do they expect us to write exactly what told in audio? Or with rephrasing sentences write on general! It is very diff to Ielts pattern. Are there any previous question for this , any site I can use to prepare for it.

@Polar Mary sorry for so many questions, thanks in advance

In the reading section you have to write a short essay, after reading 2 extracts from 2 different papers. The essay requires you to answer a question while developing your own arguments through the papers you've read, like you would do when writing any essay. I could've written 1000 words or more with the material I had, this is why I think staying within the 300 words was the hardest part. I do not remember the exact question but it was something about explaining what critical thinking is, while using the literature you were provided.
For what concerns the listening, yes, you can replay the file as many times as you want and go back and forth. Again, for a 10 minutes audio, 200 words were definitely not enough, I had to cut down 3/4 of the entire speech.

As for your last questions, I have no clue. I have never taken any IELTS or prepared for it, I am sorry.
If you can read, write, listen and speak English, this is really a piece of cake. Of course, you need to demonstrate you are also able to write in academic English.

Just for your information, a friend of mine last year took the same test since after 3 or 4 attempts she had not managed to pass the IELTS. The University of Cambridge accepted her with the condition of attending an English course, but then because of the pandemic she was told she would be allowed to be a student even without attending or passing the English class.

So, I would not worry too much :wink:
I am really short of words on how to thank you! 🙏🙏🙏 Its been really helpful! Thanks a ton again 🙏🙏🙏 I can prepare myself for it now.

@Polar Mary
@Polar Mary , @tanushreeagarwal

Hi both, I hope all went well with your assessments. I am about to take the English language assessment from the Language Center; as there isn't a time limit, I would like to ask you if during the assessment there is an exam invigilator/proctor who monitors you?

Best,
H.
Original post by Haris_mats
@Polar Mary , @tanushreeagarwal

Hi both, I hope all went well with your assessments. I am about to take the English language assessment from the Language Center; as there isn't a time limit, I would like to ask you if during the assessment there is an exam invigilator/proctor who monitors you?

Best,
H.

I don't think there was any.
Good luck!
(edited 2 years ago)
I don't think there was any.
Good luck!

Hi, I also have to take LC assessment test soon. can you please offer me some advice. about the pattern (how much time is allotted for each section) and how much words are we expected to write an essay. Also, I would like to know how invigilation is done in these tests. My laptop does not have webcam. So, should I purchase one for Exam.
Reply 17
Has anyone taken this assessment in the last year or so?

Do you know if there are any changes to it? It would be great to hear from people who have taken the test more recently.
assessment is still the same, no changes made!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending