The Student Room Group

Help with how'd you'd interpret a question please :) - Bolsheviks and Civil War

OK, look at this question: Why were the Bolsheviks able to survive the Civil War? How would you interpret this? Would you think it was a rephrased way of saying, "How did the Bolsheviks win the Civil War/stay in power during the Civil War?" or would you think it meant, "What measures did the Bolsheviks use after the Civil War that enabled them to keep power?"

(This is in the AS/A2 thing instead of History because you don't have to be an historian to answer - don't need knowledge of the period :smile:)
I think the question is asking you what they did DURING the war that allowed them to survive it. But it's hard to say. I guess I would talk a bit about both, but put extra stress on whatever that played a bigger role.
Reply 2
That's a really odd question, but I think it's kind of about the long-term effects of their actions during the war. I'm not sure though.
Reply 3
I would interpret it as what factors enabled them to survive during the civil war. I dont do AS but for example: other parties being leinent, peoples desperation. Hope that makes sense.
Reply 4
*Bethany*
"How did the Bolsheviks win the Civil War/stay in power during the Civil War?"

= What measures/factors/events/ allowed/enabled the Bolsheviks to....

= (*How* and *Why* they stayed in power in a round-a-bout way.)

Dreama xxxx
OK most people seem to think it's measures taken during the war which is encouraging, cos that's what I wrote about. Lots of TSR people seem to have hedged their bets and written about measures taken afterwards such as the NEP though. & I know some people who just wrote about the NEP - i.e. for those who don't know the topic, economic measures which the Bolsheviks took *after* the civil war to regain control and make the people less rebellious etc.

My teacher thought it meant describe how they won too, so I hope that was right.

Surely with a question that ambiguous, the examiners will have to accept a range of ways of answering it? Or is there always a set formula for what you're expected to write about?
Reply 6
You could always get your teacher to ask the exam board. Or try asking the exam board yourself. Or just wait for the mark scheme to be published.
Madelyn
You could always get your teacher to ask the exam board. Or try asking the exam board yourself. Or just wait for the mark scheme to be published.

hmmm..... how would he do that? How could I do that? When will the mark scheme be published? lol :biggrin:
Reply 8
I think AQA (like, I assume, other boards, but I'm on AQA for everything except General Studies) has a calendar thing on its website, telling when stuff happens, so you could check for mark schemes on there (they probably come out at the same time as the exam paper), or see if your teacher knows. Again, look on the website for contact details, or your teacher/head of department should be in touch with the board.
Madelyn
I think AQA (like, I assume, other boards, but I'm on AQA for everything except General Studies) has a calendar thing on its website, telling when stuff happens, so you could check for mark schemes on there (they probably come out at the same time as the exam paper), or see if your teacher knows. Again, look on the website for contact details, or your teacher/head of department should be in touch with the board.

Oh right, I had no idea they published them as soon as the exam came out, that's great. I'm with Edexcel for history though, I checked the website for contact information but they only let you ask things for the FAQ which isn't much help. Any idea where AQA keep those (I wouldn't mind looking at the law one)? I can't navigate round the exam board sites I get sooo confused :redface:
Reply 10
um...I can only ever manage to find things once on the AQA sites. I think there's a conspiracy to stop us finding things out from the exam boards. Especially AQA. Gits.
On a more serious/potentially helpful note, maybe try searching for it? I seem to recall a 'search' function on AQA.
Madelyn
um...I can only ever manage to find things once on the AQA sites. I think there's a conspiracy to stop us finding things out from the exam boards. Especially AQA. Gits.
On a more serious/potentially helpful note, maybe try searching for it? I seem to recall a 'search' function on AQA.

I second that :biggrin:

Oo ok good idea, I'll try that-thanks a lot! :smile:
Hey, for that question i interpreted it as: How did the Bolsheviks win the CW. I focused on the differences between the Reds and Whites concerning: geographical position, leadership, support, terror, economic policy was only on War Communism. I dont think you should include NEP though, coz it doesnt say AFTER the Civil War, but during. Although i admit, its an incredibly "iffy" q!!
Did anyone do the Edexcel Unit 1 - poor law paper?

Latest

Trending

Trending