The Student Room Group

Medicine question

The actual basic a levels required for medicine are Chemistry as a must+ one other science +1 other a level. but everyone seems to apply with chemistry+biology+one other (usually maths) as 3 alevels and 1 other AS. but can you actually get in just as easily with chemistry+PHYSICS (rather than biology)
ie would i have the same chance of getting into medicine if i did chem+physics+maths as if i did chem+biology+maths, and of course with all the same grades (eg A's for physics and bio) ?
or would that count against me because it would look like i am not as interested in biology -human body etc ?
Reply 1
Imperial College prospectus states:

"Biology must be studied to A level with one other science. Chemistry, if not offered at A level, must be studied at AS level."
Reply 2
_Devour_You
The actual basic a levels required for medicine are Chemistry as a must+ one other science +1 other a level. but everyone seems to apply with chemistry+biology+one other (usually maths) as 3 alevels and 1 other AS. but can you actually get in just as easily with chemistry+PHYSICS (rather than biology)
ie would i have the same chance of getting into medicine if i did chem+physics+maths as if i did chem+biology+maths, and of course with all the same grades (eg A's for physics and bio) ?
or would that count against me because it would look like i am not as interested in biology -human body etc ?

As far as I am aware biology is not a requirement in which case, chemistry and physics will be fine. As you say chemistry is a must. As I consider the physics a-level to be more difficult than the biology a-level I can't see how it could put you at a disadvantage. Just make sure you have lots of healthcare related work experience.

If you want any further advice then feel free to PM me.

The best place to ask is http://www.medschoolguide.co.uk/ - go to the forums, I found them really helpful.
Reply 3
Mr White

"Biology must be studied to A level with one other science. Chemistry, if not offered at A level, must be studied at AS level."

Chemistry is a help, but I know someone who got into Cambridge medicine doing :Physics, Chemistry, Maths

Cause in teh human body, it really boils down to chemistry.
Reply 4
Mr White

I didn't realise that Mr White...I guess they are all slightly different. I know there are some which do not require biology.

Join "The Way"!!
Reply 5
Whilst biology isn't essential it would definately help you if you had done it at a level otherwise you may find the first few topics a lot more harder. Nevertheless it isn't essential and you would probably be able to catch up if you decide not to do biology. At Imperial as someone already mentioned you need it for AS but I found that those with just AS had to work a little harder to get to grips with basic cell biology and physiology.
Reply 6
I don't know what the current requirements for Notts are, but when I applied (old a-level system), bio and chem were compulsory. I'm only speculating, but seen as you now do more subjects, I would imagine you would be expected to still have bio and chem.

Latest