The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

blonde-beth
yeh i meant the uni not the city (as i assume thats what you mean?) as im from a comp and love the diversity of it im not sure i would want to go to a place which is purely public school peeps and middle class (not that i have anything against public school people!) but then again i dunno how much of it is true... :wink:

No, I meant the uni too :p: and yeah exactly - I think that most uni's are going to be pretty diverse :smile:
blonde-beth
whats wrong with birmingham? apart from the fact that I apparently wont make a good doctor becase i 'only' have 6 A*s at gcse :p:

The person didn't have 7A*s :p:
Hey guys, prospective 2010 medic here :smile:
Alrdy hav a good idea about my choices but can u guys give me the overview, which unis would i stand a chance at, which i wouldnt and which i might :smile:

I have, well according to tutor, good ps, good references, lots of work experiance.

GCSE= 3A*, 6 A, BC.

UKCAT= 640 Average

AS= BBBBC, In chem, bio, geo, german and maths.
Bs= 78/79% so can make it up next year, just 2 retakes, one in empa for bio and one for core 2 in maths, that should push bout grades up.

Predicted A2= A*AAA In geo, chem, bio and geo. Lucky here but i believe i can achieve them.

Im deff thinking of peninsula, bristol, cardiff and southhampton, good idea? I hear cardiff are bad for GCSE's.
I had 21 points on their point score which is one below cut off last year anychance it may go down? student survey was very poor this year!

If not cardiff considering barts and st georges, maybe kings, what u all think? Yours opinions would rli help :smile:

Jonesy :smile:
apple100
Thanks :smile: yeah Leicester is my main worry, but I've gone round in circles trying to think of other places I should apply, only other place that comes to mind is Manchester, but the cut off last year was apparently 2,500 and I got 2,540....again, with my ukcat score it may be too risky...where else do you think I could apply which is a bit less risky? yeah that 4th AS is really annoying, its 1 UMS off a B :frown: woooo cardiff and leeds :yep: lol

Was Manchester cut-off 2,500 last year? Can i know where did you get that information from?
Reply 184
dyltdragon
Was Manchester cut-off 2,500 last year? Can i know where did you get that information from?

I've just heard that :dontknow:
Reply 185
Heya guys,
I'm having real trouble deciding between leicester and Southampton!!

I have a UKCAT of 602.5, AAA at As level (plus a B in a level english literature) and 9 As at GCSE (but no A*S).

My other choices are Leeds, BSMS and bristol - Just need to fill that last choice!

Thanks
Reply 186
rainorshine
student survey was very poor this year!

QUOTE]

Apparently that's an improvement on the last couple of years. :wink: At least, that's what we were told. Doubt the score will go down - lots of people still want to come here despite the student satisfaction scores
Reply 187
okk so basically i have to pick my uni's and i was thinking..
leeds
southampton
kings
newcastle

but now i'm really unsure as i was told that maybe manchester is better to apply to because of how many spaces there are?

i have 5 a*s and 7a's at gcse, AAAB in AS (although chem was the b, four marks from an a) and am predicted A*AA (geography is a*). i have two and a half years working in a pharmacy, a week watching surgery and volunteer work.. and 655 in UKCAT.

could someone please help me with where i should be aiming for with that?

also, the ucas director whos been doing medicine references for years said my p.s was good but then another teacher said i should make it more punchy, whilst practically writing me a new one which makes me sound seriously up myself which is really not how i want to do it.. do you think i should just stick with my original one as then at least i'm getting in on my own merits or make it more full of "i'm excellent at this, deeply involved" etc etc..

any ideas?
megggg
okk so basically i have to pick my uni's and i was thinking..
leeds
southampton
kings
newcastle

but now i'm really unsure as i was told that maybe manchester is better to apply to because of how many spaces there are?

i have 5 a*s and 7a's at gcse, AAAB in AS (although chem was the b, four marks from an a) and am predicted A*AA (geography is a*). i have two and a half years working in a pharmacy, a week watching surgery and volunteer work.. and 655 in UKCAT.

could someone please help me with where i should be aiming for with that?

also, the ucas director whos been doing medicine references for years said my p.s was good but then another teacher said i should make it more punchy, whilst practically writing me a new one which makes me sound seriously up myself which is really not how i want to do it.. do you think i should just stick with my original one as then at least i'm getting in on my own merits or make it more full of "i'm excellent at this, deeply involved" etc etc..

any ideas?

King's might be tough with your profile, because they tend to want a very good UKCAT or very good GCSEs. If you don't like Manchester or the PBL course, don't apply, because you'll have to be there for 5 years.

You can't say "I'm excellent at this", if you don't give any evidence. Stick with your own PS, after all, it's meant to be personal - you could take a few hints from your teacher, but make sure you're comfortable and happy with it.
Reply 189
thanks very much! i'll maybe look at some other uni's =)
I know there are so many posts like this, but any help would be greatly welcomed!

GCSEs: 2A*, 9As and a B
A2 predictions: AAA in chem, bio and english lit
UKCAT: 612.5 average "/

I want to apply to Leeds, Lancaster, Nottingham....do you think these are good choices or will i be hugely disadvantaged by any of them for any reason?

My main problem is, i am stuck on a 4th Uni. I prefer a intergrated course, preferably on a more 'campusy' uni (yet still near a city) <<course, thisis just me being picky.
Unis I'm looking at as a 4th option are:
Liverpool (but this is PBL)
Cardiff
York/Hull medical school
Glasgow??

any advice/thoughts?
stardustfairy
I know there are so many posts like this, but any help would be greatly welcomed!

GCSEs: 2A*, 9As and a B
A2 predictions: AAA in chem, bio and english lit
UKCAT: 612.5 average "/

I want to apply to Leeds, Lancaster, Nottingham....do you think these are good choices or will i be hugely disadvantaged by any of them for any reason?

My main problem is, i am stuck on a 4th Uni. I prefer a intergrated course, preferably on a more 'campusy' uni (yet still near a city) <<course, thisis just me being picky.
Unis I'm looking at as a 4th option are:
Liverpool (but this is PBL)
Cardiff
York/Hull medical school
Glasgow??

any advice/thoughts?

I'd stay away from Cardiff with those GCSEs - they're very strict about them :eek:

Best 9 GCSEs (short courses are not used) are assessed with minimum of B and given a score out of 27. A* = 3 points, A = 2 points, B = 1 point. NVQs cannot be used in place of GCSEs.

As shown here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

Btw, Glasgow is PBL-heavy too :p:

Not sure about the others though :smile:
RoadWarrior
King's might be tough with your profile, because they tend to want a very good UKCAT or very good GCSEs. If you don't like Manchester or the PBL course, don't apply, because you'll have to be there for 5 years.

You can't say "I'm excellent at this", if you don't give any evidence. Stick with your own PS, after all, it's meant to be personal - you could take a few hints from your teacher, but make sure you're comfortable and happy with it.

What would be a good UKCAT score to apply to King's with? Is it mainly the GCSE's and UKCAT score that they concentrate on?
definite_maybe
What would be a good UKCAT score to apply to King's with? Is it mainly the GCSE's and UKCAT score that they concentrate on?

Yes, that's what I've heard anyway :smile: It depends on what your GCSEs are like, so if you've got 10A*s, you wouldn't need as high a UKCAT score.
RoadWarrior
Yes, that's what I've heard anyway :smile: It depends on what your GCSEs are like, so if you've got 10A*s, you wouldn't need as high a UKCAT score.

Thank you. It's so difficult to try and find out the application processes in more detail. Do you have any idea about Queen Mary's? Someone said they interview the top 700 best UKCAT scores? Is there anything else Queen Mary's specifically concentrate on?
definite_maybe
Thank you. It's so difficult to try and find out the application processes in more detail. Do you have any idea about Queen Mary's? Someone said they interview the top 700 best UKCAT scores? Is there anything else Queen Mary's specifically concentrate on?

Yep, the cut off last year was 612.5, so it'll probably be around that this year. I' not applying there, so don't really know much about it :smile: These two pages are quite useful:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UKCAT#Who_needs_it.3F_How_is_it_used.3F

http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=78
Reply 196
Hey guys, i know youve had a lot of us but some adivce would be useful!

GCSE's- 7A* 4A 1B
AS predictions - AAA*
UKCAT -700
Solid PS and good reference (so im told)
sports and EC activities.

looking to apply to 4 out of the 5-

UCL
Imperial
Kings
Southampton
Nottingham

Does this sound too ambitious seeing as how tough it is to get into medicine? And would southampton be risky seeing as it doesnt interview? Advice is very much appreciated!

Also would it be best to take out imperial and put nottingham in due to the risk of a low bmat?
Reply 197
I've got one space left on my UCAS and there isn't really anywhere else I want to apply to for my course, and I'm having a bit of a last minute decision change. Without UKCAT and BMAT results I can't apply anywhere else. I've got all A* predictions in Maths, FM, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, As in all my AS exams and 9A*s at GCSE.

Will I get an interview regardless of what my PS says? I've read in various places that Birmingham will give people interviews based on GCSE results?
Most probably, and you'll likely get an offer too. I could be wrong though.
hi all,

im applying to medicine this year but not too sure where to apply.

AS grades-
Chem- B Maths- B Econ- B Bio- C

A2 prediction-
Chem- A Maths- A Bio- B

Ukcat- 585 (not too great)

GCSE's: 2 A*, 4 A , 2 B , C

work exp- 1 week shadowing doc, 1 week GP, 6 months charity volunteering and about to commence voluntary work in a care home.

applying to- soton bm5, soton bm6, east anglia, ?????? maybe cardiff? brighton?

these are the possibilities i dont know which other universities as i dont want to do BMAT. Do i stand a chance realistically?

Thanks!!:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending